Community > Posts By > TexasScoundrel

TexasScoundrel's photo
Sat 02/09/13 04:09 AM
First of all, read your profile. The grammar is pretty poor. But, I don't think the little that is there is bad. You just need to clean it up and give it some love. And you simply must have a photo.

TexasScoundrel's photo
Sat 02/09/13 04:05 AM
You need a better photo. The one you have doesn't look very good.

Your profile is bland. Spice it up by showing more of your personality in it, your sense of humor, etc. Mention what you want to do with the people you want to meet.

TexasScoundrel's photo
Sat 02/09/13 03:58 AM
Look at the top of your screen. Do you see the word "Search"? try clicking on it.

TexasScoundrel's photo
Sat 02/09/13 03:56 AM
Try starting with eye contact and see how they react. That should give you a read on the person.

TexasScoundrel's photo
Sat 02/09/13 03:51 AM

any woman in arkansas wanna hook up

I'm sure there are a great many interested in "hooking up." But, it's going to be a little more work than posting seven words on a dating forum.

Try this:

http://themansguidetoonlinedating.blogspot.com/

TexasScoundrel's photo
Sat 02/09/13 03:45 AM
You can't help them because they won't listen. They just become angry and say it's their life to live as they see fit. Each generation insists on making their own mistakes.

TexasScoundrel's photo
Sat 02/09/13 03:32 AM
Rawrr_Girl; have you considered writing fiction? Stephen King has done very well turning his fears into fiction.

My fear is heights, although I'm not troubled by flying. I get stressed when I have to drive over high bridges or on narrow mountain roads. I think it may have something to do with the steep angles of the landscape because it bothers me less if I'm driving over a flat surface like a river. It hasn't gotten any better over the years. I just have to get through it every time.

TexasScoundrel's photo
Sat 02/09/13 02:58 AM
If you've never met the person, you're not in love with them. You're in love with an idea of who you want them to be. The person is a made up fantasy because you've filled in the empty spaces. No one will ever be as perfect as your imagination. So, you're destined for disappointment.

TexasScoundrel's photo
Sat 02/09/13 02:47 AM
truthfully, I'd look to see if she was on any psych meds, but that's all. I wouldn't go through her things, so I'd never know if she had a locked box.

TexasScoundrel's photo
Fri 02/08/13 11:25 PM
Alright ladies, suppose while going through this man's personal things you discover a locked box? How far will you go to discover it's contents?

TexasScoundrel's photo
Fri 02/08/13 11:19 PM

nah thanks anyway
doesn't have quite the same ring or spirit of thoughtfulness

I think it's very thoughtful to not insist someone go out of their way to prove how thoughtful they are to me. Their company is enough.

TexasScoundrel's photo
Fri 02/08/13 11:06 PM

I generally try to make myself scarce between Thanksgiving and Valentines day so I can avoid all that gift giving nonsense.
:tongue:

there are always the best gifts..yanno the ones that don't take the green:wink:

How about if you get the things you want for yourself and I do the same. Then neither of us will be disappointed.

TexasScoundrel's photo
Fri 02/08/13 11:02 PM

Do we attach a meaning to life to avoid facing the horror of our own mortality and insignificance?

Probably. However, so far as we know, Earth is the only place in the universe where life exists at all. I'd say that makes us pretty significant and worth perpetuating.

So far as we know? Seriously?

I think the odds that earth is the only place in the universe where life exists at all is close to zero. I think that assumption or conclusion is either arrogant or ignorant or both.

In fact, I believe we have proven otherwise.

Okay, let's see the evidence.

I'm not saying we're the only life in the universe. I'm saying there's no evidence of life anyplace else. We simply don't know the odds because we don't what causes life. Once we do we'll have a better understanding of how rare (on common) life is.

TexasScoundrel's photo
Fri 02/08/13 10:57 PM

What is the will anyway, and is it "free?"

Or are we all a bunch of living flesh responding to stimuli and instinct and programming with no choices?

If we have no will of our own, then why should anyone be accountable for any of their crimes or actions?

The will is an illusion created by our own minds. It's free in the since that it doesn't cost anything.

Yes, we are only robots responding to the environment with instincts that evolved over many generations.

We can still punish someone for their crimes because what they do effects the well being of others whether they had a choice in the matter or not. When we punish it is also use instincts.

I use the term "free will" because that is what most people use.

In reality, the "will" is just the "will." You either use it or you don't.

It is certainly not an "illusion." It is the concept of consciousness.

No, we are not "only robots" responding to the environment who happen to have instincts that "evolved."

If you believe that, then I understand why you can believe that life has no meaning.

Consciousness is also an illusion.

TexasScoundrel's photo
Fri 02/08/13 10:54 PM
I like a low bed. In fact, I like all my furniture low except a desk and desk chair. I'm fond of the vibe of contemporary styling.

I also prefer very small living spaces. I want to force myself to buy only things that truly make me happy or I use often.

TexasScoundrel's photo
Fri 02/08/13 10:41 PM
I generally try to make myself scarce between Thanksgiving and Valentines day so I can avoid all that gift giving nonsense.

TexasScoundrel's photo
Fri 02/08/13 10:33 PM

I think to care for perpetuate this thing called life gives quite sufficient meaning and to improve the quality a meaning also

Once again, it doesn't give a meaning. It's simply a explanation of why we strive to find a mate. It doesn't explain why life is here in the first place.

Do we attach a meaning to life to avoid facing the horror of our own mortality and insignificance?

Probably. However, so far as we know, Earth is the only place in the universe where life exists at all. I'd say that makes us pretty significant and worth perpetuating.

TexasScoundrel's photo
Fri 02/08/13 10:26 PM

Well i believe in equality.......dominance of either of the genders is bad for the world..........God created us equal and i believe everyone should be treated as equal.............i believe in empowerment of women but i do not believe in supremacy of either male or female..........

That's not what the Bible says.

1 Timothy 2:8-14

8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

This is a touchy subject.
There are a lot of references like this about women in the Bible.
I'm not fully understanding why it's like this...but I can tell you that women were also stoned to death for adultery and other things back in the times the Bible was written. Man made up this law to stone, not God. Men oppressed women pretty badly over in this area and still do. I'm sure that it's written that way because of that.
There are other references though that counterpoint your post.
I agree that a GOOD man should have the final decision in SOME things AFTER listening to his female. Women can be too emotional for some final decisions that men can handle without a flinch. Like when a horse needs to be put down for example. This type of thing. But women bring another view to things that are overlooked by men. Together, we should have it all covered.

So, it seems you're suggesting the bible is not the infallible word of god, but simply a collection of rules written down by men. If so, I agree.

As for the man hating topic of this thread, in this modern world we live in, I don't think men have much value to women other than sperm donation. I wish more women could see this.

You can hate us all you want. But, when you want a baby, you're going to have to come looking for one of us. So, you'd better be nice.

TexasScoundrel's photo
Fri 02/08/13 10:10 PM
Edited by TexasScoundrel on Fri 02/08/13 10:12 PM

What is the will anyway, and is it "free?"

Or are we all a bunch of living flesh responding to stimuli and instinct and programming with no choices?

If we have no will of our own, then why should anyone be accountable for any of their crimes or actions?

The will is an illusion created by our own minds. It's free in the since that it doesn't cost anything.

Yes, we are only robots responding to the environment with instincts that evolved over many generations.

We can still punish someone for their crimes because what they do effects the well being of others whether they had a choice in the matter or not. When we punish it is also use instincts.

TexasScoundrel's photo
Fri 02/08/13 10:00 PM

life has purpose, as do all living things, to perpetuate future life and contribute to that goal.

how one goes about that, those collective choices, is called culture and / or philosphy/morality

I agree that all life has an instinct to pass on it's genes. However, this isn't a reason or meaning for life. It doesn't explain why the universe went to the trouble of creating life. It's nothing more than an explanation of what life does, not why it's here.

are u sure the answer is really no more than that?

Pretty sure.

People once asked why God created us? The usual answer was to worship him. I suppose if you believe in that sort of thing it's a reasonable answer. However, there isn't any solid evidence to support it. So, to me it's like telling me about the time someone saw a monster.

I suppose it could be argued that we are just big, limbering robots used by DNA to reproduce itself. But, that would explain the reason or meaning of DNA's existence.

Why is the universe here? Why does the universe go to all the bother of existing? Probably because it has no choice.

I think this is likely true for life. That would explain the reason; life exists because it has no other option. But, it still doesn't provide us with any meaning for life.

This reminds me of one of my favorite jokes.

A man learned of a wise monk that lived in a cave, high on a mountain. He searched for the monk for many years and finally found him. He asked the monk "why are we here?" The old monk sighed a deep sigh and said "I'm here because I wanted to be alone. Why the hell are YOU here?"