Community > Posts By > Seamonster

Seamonster's photo
Tue 02/10/09 06:02 PM

wow... for being so highly educated, you people really are quite slow... not one person has tackled my question head on, which is what i've noticed about a lot of atheists/evolutionists/etc... you guys diddle daddle around other scientific theorems and blah blah blah, i want proof people...

something based on science should have scientific proof, and not one of you have managed to come up with a single thing. thank you for further proving my point...

do i have to go into further detail about this micro vs macro bs? ok, here we go... you guys know who darwin is right? right. well, then you probably know about his finches right? ok... that was MICRO *ahem* let me clear my throat... there we go... MICRO evolution. there is SCIENTIFIC PROOF of microevolution... here is the fun and challenging part that no one has seemed to grasp...

show me physical proof that macroevolution is true... and will someone... i know this is a stretch since no one wants to try and answer me... please explain to me why macroevolution is no longer happening... have all creatures reached their maximum evolutionary process?

I have shown evidence over and over for evolution but it doest matter because christians just have a deep seeded need to believe and will refuse to see whats right in front of them.

Seamonster's photo
Tue 02/10/09 05:41 PM
Edited by Seamonster on Tue 02/10/09 05:41 PM

Aren't elephants one of the only animals, aside from humans, that mourn the dead?

yes in a way,
chips have been known to mourn their dead, but elephants seem to realize their own mortality.

Seamonster's photo
Tue 02/10/09 03:52 AM

Evolution does not say that man evolved from chimps, but that they had a common ancestor. Perhaps you should study what evolution actually says before you make your claims.

So how exactly do you have a "common ancestor" with another creature and not share the same gentics? Makes no sense to me.

we do.
About 98% the same.

Seamonster's photo
Mon 02/09/09 07:09 PM
Edited by Seamonster on Mon 02/09/09 07:10 PM
yay for FWB!!!

Sorry wrong thred

Seamonster's photo
Mon 02/09/09 07:08 PM
yay for FWB!!!
Well worth a dancing banana :banana:

Seamonster's photo
Mon 02/09/09 07:03 PM
I was going to comment but I pourd another glass of scotch instead.

Seamonster's photo
Sun 02/08/09 05:23 PM
Edited by Seamonster on Sun 02/08/09 05:24 PM
Common ancestry is not a mere assumption: many verifiable evidences support it. The 96 – 99% identity between the human and chimp genomes, with us then being slightly less related to gorillas, then to orangutans, then to monkeys, etc,; the presence of a postanal tail, notochord, premaxillary bone, pharyngeal slits,
and fish-like arrangement of aortic arches, in our embryos;
the fusion of 2 ancestral ape chromosomes to create human chromosome 2; derived shared characteristics (such as trichromatic vision);
phylogenetic trees based on sequences of the GULO pseudogene and other DNA sequences;
the shared 55-bp deletion that disabled the GBA gene in humans, chimps, and gorillas, whereas orangutans have a functional GBA gene without the 55-bp deletion; the presence-absence pattern of 100 SINEs;
the shared presence and matching locations of numerous retroelements (which could have inserted just about anywhere in the genome if they transposed independently in the different, allegedly genetically unrelated species) – for example, 7 Alu retroelements in and just outside of the beta globin cluster in humans and chimps, and the HERV-K’s; etc.

Seamonster's photo
Sun 02/08/09 05:20 PM

Not Sorry and more and more people are debunking this theory. It is still theory James....there is no iron clad proof...and if so please show me...I would be beyond happy to look at it...

EVOLUTION IS A THEORY NOT A FACT

Evolution BEGAN as a theory Feral.

Today evolution is an established fact based on observational evidence.

The ancient idea that it's "Just a theory" not longer holds true.

Today it's an established fact.

Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

I don't think you know what a theory is.
I am glad it's a thoery.
The earh revolving aroud the sun is a theory.
Do you not believe that because it's a theory?
If you said it's just a theory to any scientest he would look at you like you just grew another head.
A theory is pretty damn sound.
When a scientist says theory you can take it to the bank. So when you say evoultion is a theory you are saying that it's true.
And I agree.

Seamonster's photo
Sun 02/08/09 03:55 PM

But again you forgot to take into consideration while Lamarck is saying why it happen...With all that a giraffe is while it is evolving it would never work it would die.....So therefore all that makes up a giraffe was needed from the get go.....for the reason I stated on my original OP...And I read this when I was researching to do this thread....How convenient you left out why Lamarck theories were blown out of the water.

Jean-Baptist Lamarck on the evolution of the giraffe.

In Lamarck's view, we must imagine a situation in the past where the best food for browsing mammals was higher up in trees, the lower vegetation having been eaten by other animals. The ancestors of the giraffe—which we should imagine like antelopes or deer—needed to adapt their behavior to this changing environment.

As Lamarck wrote, "variations in the environment induce changes in the needs, habits and modes of life of living beings ... these changes give rise to modifications or developments in their organs and the shape of their parts". So Lamarck imagined that over generations the habit of continually reaching for the higher browse produced in the giraffe's ancestors a lengthening of the legs and neck.

In many respects this is a classic formulation of how Darwin viewed evolution: every species consists of individuals that show considerable variations. Under certain environmental conditions particular variations will be most advantageous. Natural selection weeds out the unadapted and the best-adapted survive. These variations become dominant in the species and so it evolves.

In the case of giraffes, times of drought and arid conditions give an advantage to those animals that can out-compete others by reaching the higher, untouched leaves. They form the ancestral stock of the animals that evolve into giraffes.

They were changed when Darwin added to them.

Seamonster's photo
Sun 02/08/09 03:48 PM
Edited by Seamonster on Sun 02/08/09 03:50 PM
Jean-Baptist Lamarck on the evolution of the giraffe.

In Lamarck's view, we must imagine a situation in the past where the best food for browsing mammals was higher up in trees, the lower vegetation having been eaten by other animals. The ancestors of the giraffe—which we should imagine like antelopes or deer—needed to adapt their behavior to this changing environment.

As Lamarck wrote, "variations in the environment induce changes in the needs, habits and modes of life of living beings ... these changes give rise to modifications or developments in their organs and the shape of their parts". So Lamarck imagined that over generations the habit of continually reaching for the higher browse produced in the giraffe's ancestors a lengthening of the legs and neck.

In many respects this is a classic formulation of how Darwin viewed evolution: every species consists of individuals that show considerable variations. Under certain environmental conditions particular variations will be most advantageous. Natural selection weeds out the unadapted and the best-adapted survive. These variations become dominant in the species and so it evolves.

In the case of giraffes, times of drought and arid conditions give an advantage to those animals that can out-compete others by reaching the higher, untouched leaves. They form the ancestral stock of the animals that evolve into giraffes.

Seamonster's photo
Sun 02/08/09 03:37 PM

again, you know nothing about evolution or how it works.
And you don't want to know.
willful ignorence seems to be is bliss.

I know enough to know it's poppycock

not true, or you would already know how giraffe evolution works.

Oh really so go for it and tell me. What was the giraffe before it evolved into what we know it to be today?

The horse, the deer, hmmmmmm, the cow......

it was a giraffe, a much shorter one but still a giraffe.
Again you do not understand evolution, or how it works.
And it's not that you can't understand it, it's that you refuse to.

Seamonster's photo
Sun 02/08/09 03:24 PM

Tell me something I worked hard and bugged mods and admin to give you guys your own place to talk about your beliefs...so why is it so important to come and bash Christians for you still..If I am not mistaken....IM NOT you said on many occasions if you had a place for you and yours to go and talk about your beliefs you would....So why do you still find it so important to come and bash us.

Why aren't you in your declaring all who are gods

This is the christian section?
I thought it was for gen religion.
The bible is full of hate and flat out lies, this is proven. So why would anyone follow a book that promotes slavery and rape and all around hate, I don't get that.

Seamonster's photo
Sat 02/07/09 11:22 PM

I know enough to know it's poppycock

not true, or you would already know how giraffe evolution works.

Seamonster's photo
Sat 02/07/09 10:58 PM

Within a species I am all for it.

We and apes are from the same species.
We have a common ancestor.

Seamonster's photo
Sat 02/07/09 09:05 PM

Seamonster's photo
Sat 02/07/09 09:00 PM

Then explain why you share 96% identical DNA with chimp! It takes millions of years for this to happen. Yet in about 6 million years all we have to show for it is an upright posture, the FOXP2 or speech gene, an opposable thumb and a larger brain capacity that is capable of abstract thought. That’s it. That is what 6 million years of evolution accomplished.

Did you ever think that we could of evolved all by ourselves. Just because we share dna with other animals doesn't mean we were that animal ever. And how convenient that it takes so long.....so lets say 5 million 999 thousand years ago there was something else that was evolving would not it show up today...There has to be something that you science hounds can give me to prove your point...because if not then again I say it's crapola.

well I did prove it but you obviously did not read it.
And your main problem is you know absloutly nothing about evolution, so of course you don't believe it you don't understand it.
And we always fear what we don't understand.

Seamonster's photo
Sat 02/07/09 06:46 PM

So give me one thing that has evolved in the last 500 years.....go ahead....Anyone that believes in evolution can answer...I am not picky...and please no staph or virus...because that is not good enough to show me evolution at it's finest..

Life evolves. That is a fact. One of the simplest definitions of evolution is the change in the frequency of genes in a species over time.

For example, imagine if you will a rabbit farm high on a mountain. The farmer buys a thousand rabbits, some have longer fur and some have shorter fur - it's a quite mixed group of rabbits. The length of the fur on the rabbits is determined by their genetic makeup. Some have genes for long fur, some for shorter. Now, this farm (or ranch, if you prefer) is in an area that gets extremely cold for most of the year. The rabbits survival depends upon having enough fur to keep them warm. Those with short fur will freeze to death and die (our fictional farmer doesn't have much business sense).

Because of the situation these unfortunate creatures are in, they are subject to natural selection. There is a selection pressure for longer fur. More baby rabbits are born than can possibly survive in the environment. This is an important part of the process. Their genetic makeup is a determining factor in their survival. Rabbits that die of cold will not pass on their short-fur genes to their offspring (as they won't have any), whereas rabbits with long fur will be more resistant to the cold and therefore much more likely to reproduce, passing on their genes for long fur.

Over many generations, the farm will consist almost entirely of long-fur rabbits. The frequency of genes for short fur has decreased, and the frequency of genes for long fur has increased. Far fewer short-haired rabbits, and eventually none at all, will be born - their genes will have been lost from the gene-pool.

Some rabbits may have developed genetic mutations which further increase the length of their fur. These mutations will clearly give those rabbits an advantage in their environment, and those beneficial mutations will spread through the gene pool of the population. Mutations that are detrimental to the survival rate will clearly be lost quickly, as those unfortunate rabbits will have a reduced chance of surviving long enough to mate. In this way, useful mutations stay on in the population. It's a positive feedback loop - this is the second important thing to remember.

These rabbits have evolved. It's really that simple.

Evolution is a directly observable phenomenon. There is no debate among scientists as to whether or not evolution occurs, any more than there is debate about the Earth orbiting the Sun. Gene pools change - evolution happens. This is obviously a rather contrived example, but it serves to demonstrate some of the basic principles.

Now, objectors will say "Ah, but they're still rabbits, aren't they? That's not the same as amphibians turning into reptiles, and then mammals, is it? That still doesn't explain how a human can evolve from an ape-like ancestor, does it?"

Yes, it does. The change from mixed-fur rabbits to long-fur rabbits (in this example) is often referred to as micro-evolution - a minor change within a species. Larger changes are known as macro-evolution, and take far longer to occur, but the process involved is exactly the same - genes changing over time. It is a cumulative process - the minor changes build up over many generations into major changes. Given time, the descendants of these rabbits could become an entirely novel species of rabbit, and eventually a creature that can no longer be called a rabbit.

To say that you accept micro-evolution but not macro-evolution is akin to saying that it is possible to walk to the end of your street, but it is somehow impossible to walk to the next town. The process involved, putting one foot in front of the other, a single step at a time, is exactly the same although the end results may be completely different.

Evolution is a fact. This is not open to debate.

Seamonster's photo
Sat 02/07/09 06:00 AM
FACT

Life evolves. That is a fact. One of the simplest definitions of evolution is the change in the frequency of genes in a species over time.

For example, imagine if you will a rabbit farm high on a mountain. The farmer buys a thousand rabbits, some have longer fur and some have shorter fur - it's a quite mixed group of rabbits. The length of the fur on the rabbits is determined by their genetic makeup. Some have genes for long fur, some for shorter. Now, this farm (or ranch, if you prefer) is in an area that gets extremely cold for most of the year. The rabbits survival depends upon having enough fur to keep them warm. Those with short fur will freeze to death and die (our fictional farmer doesn't have much business sense).

Because of the situation these unfortunate creatures are in, they are subject to natural selection. There is a selection pressure for longer fur. More baby rabbits are born than can possibly survive in the environment. This is an important part of the process. Their genetic makeup is a determining factor in their survival. Rabbits that die of cold will not pass on their short-fur genes to their offspring (as they won't have any), whereas rabbits with long fur will be more resistant to the cold and therefore much more likely to reproduce, passing on their genes for long fur.

Over many generations, the farm will consist almost entirely of long-fur rabbits. The frequency of genes for short fur has decreased, and the frequency of genes for long fur has increased. Far fewer short-haired rabbits, and eventually none at all, will be born - their genes will have been lost from the gene-pool.

Some rabbits may have developed genetic mutations which further increase the length of their fur. These mutations will clearly give those rabbits an advantage in their environment, and those beneficial mutations will spread through the gene pool of the population. Mutations that are detrimental to the survival rate will clearly be lost quickly, as those unfortunate rabbits will have a reduced chance of surviving long enough to mate. In this way, useful mutations stay on in the population. It's a positive feedback loop - this is the second important thing to remember.

These rabbits have evolved. It's really that simple.

Evolution is a directly observable phenomenon. There is no debate among scientists as to whether or not evolution occurs, any more than there is debate about the Earth orbiting the Sun. Gene pools change - evolution happens. This is obviously a rather contrived example, but it serves to demonstrate some of the basic principles.

Now, objectors will say "Ah, but they're still rabbits, aren't they? That's not the same as amphibians turning into reptiles, and then mammals, is it? That still doesn't explain how a human can evolve from an ape-like ancestor, does it?"

Yes, it does. The change from mixed-fur rabbits to long-fur rabbits (in this example) is often referred to as micro-evolution - a minor change within a species. Larger changes are known as macro-evolution, and take far longer to occur, but the process involved is exactly the same - genes changing over time. It is a cumulative process - the minor changes build up over many generations into major changes. Given time, the descendants of these rabbits could become an entirely novel species of rabbit, and eventually a creature that can no longer be called a rabbit.

To say that you accept micro-evolution but not macro-evolution is akin to saying that it is possible to walk to the end of your street, but it is somehow impossible to walk to the next town. The process involved, putting one foot in front of the other, a single step at a time, is exactly the same although the end results may be completely different.

Evolution is a fact. This is not open to debate.

Seamonster's photo
Sat 02/07/09 05:51 AM

Bushdobillyclub has the market cornered on all the best scientific videos but this one is not bad and its very short. It offers a creative visualization method for chimp and human mitochondrial DNA. The entire 96% match tends to throw people into confusion and argument I've noticed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjGZ6kF2gbQ

cool vid thanks

Seamonster's photo
Fri 02/06/09 06:03 AM

Is the Christian faith intellectual nonsense? Are Christians deluded?

sorry but Christian have not cornered the market on delusion ..all faiths no matter the religion or the demonination or the philosophy are delusional ....

faith is the practice of willingly placing oneself into a state of delusion

That being said - there isn't a single person walking this planet who isn't delusional, for I defy you to live your life without faith in the fact that you'll even get up in the morning.

Without faith - we would be a planet of walking, delusional paranoid zombies incapable of functioning on any level in society.

pfft,
Faith is the belief in something because you have no proof.

1 2 5 6 7 9 11 12 13 24 25