Community > Posts By > Tomishereagain

Tomishereagain's photo
Tue 09/22/15 12:00 PM

What are the best things and worst things about dating someone over 50? Please share your stories and observations. Is it really any different dating someone over 50 than it was when you were younger? What about relationships? Are they more difficult or more easy?

Dating over 50 seems to have some factors that can be both good and bad.

50+ You are dating people who are pretty much where they are going to be. They might add or subtract a little here and there but they kind of are what they are. Like it or move on.

50 + They are probably a "package deal". They may not have kids that are ankle biters but many have Grandkids a lot more than occasionally. In the 50+ mix are parents of kids all ages and some have dependent siblings and even dependent parents so the "empty nest" is rare. If it is not family it is probable there is a roommate or a renter. And critters; dogs, cats, exotics, livestock enough to start and ark.

50+ They are health conscious but on occasion it does seem like they are subconscious. Obesity seems to be a whipping post and some of the worst are people with the worst nutritional habits. But you can't rule out the Big C. or Diabetes. What ever the Diets are a big deal so where dating over a coffee or dinner was romantic it is now more likely going to be matching where the eating habits are going to jive.

50+ The career issue is a biggy. Many are hanging onto their job (insurance) or business by their fingernails and the idea that you stay out for a romantic date or can go out on the weekend is every bit the issue it used to be years earlier. Many can not retire because of big time business debt and if you are you either wait or find a way to entertain yourself while they work.

50+ The sex issue does not go away. What many do not want to admit is the risk is actually growing faster in the Over 50 crowd than anywhere else. Granted you probably don't have to deal with pregnancy but the whole menopause drama AND the massive amount of miss-information about it and sexual desire and ability is mind boggling.

50+ Dating seems to have a housing issue. Part of that is the crummy market and how expensive home maintenance is for those who are past hanging off roofs and standing on ladders. And just the nightmare of moving I think stalls out a lot of relationships.

50+ Dating can be Been there, Done that, Got the T-shirt at times. Granted a few people want to be globe trotters but fewer can afford it, and/or have done more of it than they care too, and sleeping in their own bed is starting to have a real appeal. There are a few Gold-diggers that will use 50+ dating as an excuse to let the other foot the bill for vacations or visiting the kids then blow them off or want a travel mistress/giggelo but if you buy into it I kind of see that as buyer beware. lol

50+ Dating is probably better because at least at this age you have a few more options. Getting out your date is a mouse click away and you don't have to have a team of family and friends involved unless you want to. Usually you don't have to worry about Mom and Dad pressuring you to "Launch" , you don't have to rush into anything, you have your own transportation, you have enough clothes to do most things, and you don't have a curfew. Least I don't.

Extremely Sensible!

Tomishereagain's photo
Tue 09/22/15 11:55 AM

where i live is about 80 units in a culdesac and we get tons of kids. so i took to decorating the yard and lighting a fire in the patio and dishing out the treats from there

I have a fire pit. Fire pits are great fun and a great way to spend a cozy evening with someone special. I keep those giant marshmellows on hand for fire pit nights.

When I lived in Pennsylvania, I used my fire pit all year round. Snow-covered winter nights, sled riding and a nice fire pit is great for any get together.

Tomishereagain's photo
Tue 09/22/15 11:49 AM
I see two sides to this debate:

First I must point out that if you are on a dating site you should try to honestly represent yourself. I know that some are on here for different reasons but some are actually trying to find someone special to share their lives with. You Must read the profile and make your first contact memorable.
Now for the two sides:

On one side you have the option of contacting many with some responses (If you contact them correctly, for their interests). There are people that actually read your first contact and then view your profile then Decide whether or not to contact you back.

On the other side, You can pester someone into giving you a chance if you make your contact and your profile appealing. I know, in my youth I have pestered someone I liked into acknowledging me. I have pestered employers everyday to land a job I really wanted. In person, pestering can work.

I was in Goodwill today looking at the used books and saw a woman that appealed to me. She also was viewing the book assortment and I moved my browsing closer to her. I noticed no ring on her finger and kept glancing at her in the corner of my eye. She never looked at me once. Had she, I would have asked her if she was looking for a specific author. But since she never considered me I left her be and continued my browsing.

Online dating can be much like that. As a man, I notice women and I do look at the pictures. The pictures inspire me to look at their profile. If I read that profile and it is blank or full of qualities I suspect are not accurate I pass them by. However, If I read things that I find appealing to me I remember them. If I view them and they don't view me back, I move on. But if the view me I sometimes introduce myself. If I get no response I move on. Sometimes I will revisit their profile to let them know I am still interested.

For those that I have met on dating sites the reason we met was because not only did I reference her profile information I included similar intrests of my own in the messages. I worded my messages to be open-ended to make it easy for her to respond on topic. I have never met anyone in person by talking sexually or being crude or insensitive.

If you consider the ratios, Women are bombarded with crude, insensitive and downright nasty messages. I can understand why they never respond, even to good messages because of what they commonly see.

Just because you get no response it should be no reason to stop trying. Each person is a new prospect so when you do message someone, really mean what you say. Eventually you will get a response.

Tomishereagain's photo
Tue 09/22/15 11:20 AM

I love the holiday's even being single and my kids and family so scattered there is always something going on.
For some reason holiday times don't get me down and depressed maybe because there is so much going on...

Great thread and a lot of ideas...

Thank You!

I am but one person, Imagine all the ideas we could come up with if we tried.

My original comment about the holiday season being depressing is from understanding how others feel at this time of year. Personally, I don't really get depressed about things I don't have. I too keep myself occupied and never feel the lonliness others feel.

This thread is for them. A way to break their holiday blues.
With your comment in mind, I expand this topic once again to include an additional parameter.

Things we can do "by ourselves" to enjoy the holiday season.

Its no fun having a turkey pot pie on Thanksgiving. Many times I have heard people say "I have nothing to be Thankful for this year"
It helps to understand that Thanksgiving is not about being thankful for things in your life. Thanksgiving is a Harvest Holiday. Its about the Food. It's about being thankful for that year's harvest.
Its a time for family and friends to get together and enjoy all the good food and share time with each other.
I've spent some Thanksgivings alone and still enjoyed myself. See, I like me and I like cooking so I have all my favorite dishes and keep myself entertained.

On Halloween, When alone, I do movie marathons. Where I live I don't get any trick or treaters but if I did, I would sit out on the porch and hand out candy.

Tomishereagain's photo
Tue 09/22/15 11:05 AM

Holidays...yippy!!!...love them all...was just thinking No.1 will be setting up his Halloween yard...if I remember he was bragging about a new addition he got last year... The forums and the holidays are so much fun..:wink:flowerforyou

Personally I never really decorated much for Halloween. I know many of my friends go all out for the Halloween display. That is another good idea!

Drive around different neighborhoods and visit all the great Halloween displays people erect in their yards. For the best ones, take a bag of candy and "Give Them Some Candy" for their efforts.

Tomishereagain's photo
Tue 09/22/15 10:57 AM

Some great ideas but I am wondering why we have to do these activities with just Grandkids? Many of the ideas sound like a fun activity for a solo date or a singles party.

Maybe if more people would host single activities there would not be so many lonesome singles.

The heart of this topic was to inspire just that. Presently, I do such things with my children's families but the company is always open.

Yes, it would be fun and a great way to meet other singles if something could be arranged but distance is a factor for most.

One other thing, I am in my children's lives and my special someone will also have their children in their lives. Activities that include my grandchildren bring me happiness.

Traditions can't be formed during the beginning of a relationship because traditions require repetition. The first time you spend the holidays with someone no matter what you two decide to do it is the first time. You can call it a tradition if you are still a couple during the next holiday season and you repeat the activity.

Lets expand this topic to include ideas to create new traditions using the dating mindset. Ideas that, once done, could become fun traditions for the both of you.

{Brain switching gears}

Places where there is good snowfall:

* Snow-Couple Building - You play in the snow and build a pair of snow-people and dress them to be representations of the both of you. Take pictures. Afterward go inside for some nice hot coco or a hot toddy. Make the scene special by creating snow angels around the Snow-Couple.

* Midnight (10-2am) sled-riding.
* Winter Campfire

Places where there is no significant snowfall:

* Wreath Quest - go out looking for components to build wreaths.
* Wreath Building Party - Get everyone together and break out all the different stuff you accumulated and build wreaths. Build lots of them and give them away to neighbors.

* Store Decoration Tour - Go visit lots of different stores and enjoy the unique decorations. Visit a boutique, a farm store, a car dealership, many mom & pop stores. Discuss the best (talking is really good for dating...LOL)

* The Autumn Drive - I know of some very beautiful and serene places to visit during the Fall. Take your date on a wonderful drive thru the Autumn scenery with good music and lots of talk. Find some pecan trees and stop to gather some for later. Strip your feet and wade in a freezing cold but crystal clear stream. Stop at a little shop for refreshments. Walk thru a historic small town hand in hand.

{Brain just suddenly stopped}

I'm sure there are many, many fun things to do that I failed to mention.

Tomishereagain's photo
Wed 09/16/15 10:03 PM
Men want sex. Thats a given. But there are men that are looking for more than just sex.

Understanding that Sex is at the top, What...else... do men want?

Tomishereagain's photo
Wed 09/16/15 09:50 PM
Well, the dreaded holidays are fast approaching. Time for us lonely hearts to feel even more alone.

Now, being 50+ we probably have children that have families that we wish we had more time with.

What about starting some new family traditions?

Mid-October:
Pumpkin Carving Picnic -
Get everyone together and go outside and carve some pumpkins. If weather permits, have a bbq or a nice cold picnic. Play some music, have the grandkids invite their friends and make a day of it. There is a bunch of pumpkin carving stencils you can download from the internet and at night you can roast the seeds.

Halloween Costume ShinDig -
Get everyone together with some supplies and old clothes, Get creative and come up with some unique costumes for Halloween. I dressed my kids in boxes one year with wrapping paper and bows and they went as Christmas Presents. One year I put my son in a clear plastic bag with balloons and he was a bag of jelly beans. Use your imagination but mostly HAVE FUN!

Thanksgiving Dinner Recipe Bonanza -
Get your adult children together and blitz some recipe ideas for Thanksgiving Dinner. Desserts are so easy, have sugar, add some goodness and woola, unique dish.
Koolaid Pie, a pack of koolaid, a bowl of coolwhip, some sugar and a graham cracker pie shell and BANG! Koolaid Pie!

Christmas Window Shopping Trip -
Get that grandkids together and do a shopping trip where you don't buy anything. Take a notepad. Jot down the things that the kids get excited about that are affordable and take wonder at their innocence. Afterward, stop for ice cream or snacks and enjoy their company.

Quest for the Light Show -
After dark take the kids on a tour of the neighborhood, checking out each and every household Christmas Light show. Get the kids talking and revisit their favorites.

Its all about sharing. You share with them and they share their wonder and amazement with you. The formality isn't important, what is important is that you redirect your lonely thinking and lose yourself in the moment.

So, What other activities, traditions or distractions do you do to make the Holidays not so depressing?

Tomishereagain's photo
Wed 09/16/15 09:16 PM
No need for apologies, life ia just life.
Thanx for commenting tho.

Tonight I had my daughter and her family over for a fish fry. Awesome catfish! I made an attempt at making cinamon rolls with filling and it turned out terrible but we had fun and I guess thats all that matters.

I drank some beer, which I hardly ever do anymore and it made me sick and wishful. I realized that no matter how I am my kids love me. The beer tasted good but I had some somber moments because of it. I guess I really don't like alcohol anymore...

Well, the beer has me thinking about my situation tonight and things are as they are and I figured I would share some thoughts.

It seems to me that unless someone brings an available woman into my life I will never meet anyone. I don't do bars - not interested in the types you Find there anyway. I don't do church because my spirituality exceeds the doctrine. When I shop I perform the task at hand and barely notice anyone.

I'm limited to these online sites to present who I am to the masses and frankly, I have no idea what I am doing. I figure that if I can relay my personality to you that perhaps, maybe, there might be something that clicks with one of you that says "hey, This guy might be okay"

I know that if you could see me as I am you would want to know me.

Tomishereagain's photo
Wed 09/16/15 09:00 PM
I think that women ...and men, at our age, are looking for something a bit more than just sex.
While we still have a need for orgasm we must admit that 'making love' is more appealing than a quickie.

Now, don't get me wrong, Hot sex is great but for a relationship there needs to be that extra 'umph' that tops the sex and enters into the making love area.

At 50 we are not all dried up and our sex drives are very much intact. But at 50, we have a lifetime of experience that teaches us that sex is not the sole driving force that governs us.

I believe that women over 50 are just as driven by sex as men. However, sex is now only part of the equation and you have to have other qualities that complete the scene.

Tomishereagain's photo
Wed 09/16/15 09:22 AM

What are the best things and worst things about dating someone over 50? Please share your stories and observations. Is it really any different dating someone over 50 than it was when you were younger? What about relationships? Are they more difficult or more easy?

Sorry so late to the party!

BEST:
Common Ground - not only did we play in the dirt, walk to school in the snow uphill both ways, we grew up in the national mindset. The cold war has the US somewhat unified and our concepts of family, community and nation were similar.

Common Body - With both being 'Over-The-Hill' we can appreciate quiet moments and serenity. While we are not 'fragile' yet we understand each others physical limitations.

"Hang on, I'm trying to put some thought into this"

Common Ethics - Since we grew up with the same ethics mostly our view on the 'young-ins' kinda match. They give us plenty to talk about.

Common Family Ties - We are begining to lose cherished family members. Our grandchildren take focus and become a common centerpiece. We can enjoy their simplicity.

WORST:
Stubborn - we know how to hold our ground.
Routine - Its difficult for us to break our daily routine
Picky - We know what we like and what we don't. Less likely to try new things.
Gullible - We tend to 'see' the best in things and it can bite us.

Men seem to get better with age but women get worried about their looks. I see the beauty of youth in their eyes and understand that age affects the body. I find that women over 50 have trouble believing this. Men are not as flexible and viral at 50 either but we accept it easier.

One thing that I have found that both understand is being alone. We know lonliness and we either accept it as part of life or we fight it and stay miserable. Those that are fighting being alone are usually desperate and it shows in their actions. Older people enjoy their solitude but know how to also enjoy the right company.

Tomishereagain's photo
Mon 09/14/15 06:29 PM
Edited by Tomishereagain on Mon 09/14/15 06:30 PM
I'm looking for someone special in my life and I am having problems.

I've been on dating sites and wasted time & money. At least the free sites are less costly. LOL

So I met someone that I messaged and talked to a lot before we met in person. According to what she wrote I felt that she could be the one.
We met at a breakfast bar in her town and had some food and some conversation. She seemed nice enough and we started dating. We went to some movies, a few dinners and spent time at each other's house on weekends.
Now, from our conversations before we met she stated that she was uncomfortable with guys that are always all over her. We discussed making love over sex and how each of us viewed respect.
We kissed and hugged but that is all we ever did. I respected her wishes that she wrote to me and it was boring and uneasy as a relationship. There just were no 'Hot' moments. I wanted to but as a jester of respect I told her that she can set the pace. Well, she never set the pace, 6 months and nothing fired up with us.
I introduced her to my family and then when it came to meeting hers, she flat out refused. Thats when I knew this would never work.
We are still friends but there is no 'spark'.
Not because I didn't want there to be but because by giving her what she wanted nothing could develop.

I'm looking for all the right qualities but there has to be a sexual bond, or at least an attempt of one.

I know how to treat a woman. I know that making love is different than just having sex. I know that a person's family is important to the relationship and noones family is without flaw. I know how to show interest in things I have never experienced and I have a lot of experiences to share. I also know how to show love, affection and restraint.

I've redone my profile and broadened my particulars. I message women whether they have a picture or not, based on what they write. I've slimmed down my data stream and left more to ask about.

So, once more I am going to give this place a try. I'm looking for women in my age bracket and type to just message me and start a dialog. We can do this on this email system for a bit then when we get better aquainted maybe personal email then skype, hangouts or phone.

I am really looking for someone fairly close to my home but if you just want to talk to a man that isn't a jerk, I will talk with you no matter where you are. I'm not interested in relocating tho.

I hope I hear from someone. I'm not lonely but I am alone.

Tomishereagain's photo
Fri 05/01/15 10:20 AM

you fell in love with the person you thought she was going to be when you were texting and calling

Perhaps a little. I'm not even sure it is love yet? I know that it wasn't until we met face to face that I started wanting to be with her.
Its kinda funny because in chatting online I picked up a vibe that she was very stressed but when I met her in person she was warm and friendly and very into everything I said or did.

We decided to meet because we found we have a lot in common. I was born & raised in Pennsylvania - she was born and raised in New Orleans. Our differences compliment each other so there is enough to make things interesting but our desires and traits are similar enough that we just click.

Up until I met her personally I considered her as another online friend. Now, I can 'see' her as my best friend.

TMommy, I understand where you are trying to go with your reply. Believe me, I have had that happen a few times. This is different. Its even different from relationships I have had while meeting in real life. I just want to be sure that what I am feeling is not just a fascination of the feeling of being in love. I was kinda looking for responses that expound on the discussion topic title.

Tomishereagain's photo
Fri 05/01/15 10:07 AM

I am pretty articulate and know how to put my feelings to words and she is well aware of my intentions. She claims to want more in our relationship but from her responses to my suggestions to meet at our homes are suggestive but never definite - If so, I would already be there.

ask her directly for the reason

You know...I never thought of doing that. I assumed that my intentions were clear but perhaps they have not been. As far as I know we have been honest in all our communications. I know she wants me in her life (she has told me that). I just can't figure out why she hasn't invited me over or called me back.

We have a pattern to our emails. Aside from the specific titled emails like History, Financial Status and Health, our emails are No Subject with hundreds of replies. She replies then I reply and so on.
I am currently awaiting her next reply. When she does I will include "The Question" in my forthcoming reply.

Pansytilly, Thank You! I found your reply inspiring and encouraging. Its simple and helpful. What a positive response!

Tomishereagain's photo
Fri 05/01/15 09:57 AM

That is one scary post.
It sounds like you don't even like her..she 'dictates' she is 'chubby' you are 'not fond' of her issues.

You want love fast but best wait for someone you can love
and not just tolerate.

Funny how when viewed out of context my descriptors look scary. The depth of our discussions are not.

Fast?
Eight years is not fast.

Tolerate?
All love is toleration to a certain extent. Nobody is a perfect match. There will always be something in everyone that needs to be tolerated. God knows I am not perfect.

Dictates?
Knowing that most men are ready to rip a woman's clothes off for sex and knowing that there are predators everywhere, I put the date into her hands to give her control and allow her to have an out. It was to allow her to feel at ease so we could have a natural encounter, She did - we did and it was good.

Chubby?
I keep my profile pictures updated. I understand that women do not. Her profile picture was accurate but she has some added weight. The context of my statement was to show that even though she was chubbier than her picture I still found her beautiful. BTW - Its her eyes that reeled me in. (She is a double mastectomy cancer survivor). Implying that I am shallow is an unwarranted attack since you don't know me.

Not Fond?
I used those words because I know the traits that I HATE. I lived with it for 25 years. The things I am not fond of are insignificant to her complete personality and demeanor. I'm not fond of her having high blood pressure, I can tolerate it in our relationship because I know that she medicates and eats right. I'm not fond of her computer knowledge - it gets in the way of our conversations but I could teach her what she needs to know. The things I am not fond of must weigh into the equation so our relationship can grow.

Can I love her? - I believe I can.
I know I am capable of loving another easily.

soufiehere, I have to rate your response as negative. You really suggested nothing to me and did not expand on the premise of the subject. You failed to relate your own feelings or experiences to further the subject. I'm not sure why you even posted on my discussion?

Tomishereagain's photo
Fri 05/01/15 08:56 AM
I met a wonderful woman online recently (appx 2months).

She tells me that my response to her profile is why she replied the first time. All I did was open conversation topics pertaining to what she wrote.

We exchanged our reasons for choosing online dating, our wants and desires for the 'perfect' match and what we expect 'true love' to be.

The conversations continued on the dating site until we exchanged emails and took the relationship personal. I deleted my profile and the bookmark to the dating site and we continued conversing via email.
We exchanged all of our likes & dislikes, our financial and relationships status, expectations of how we want love expressed to us and mundane daily activities.

I found myself loving the idea of us meeting and we met in real life at a donut shop in her small town (appx 40 miles away from me).
We talked and held hands and went for a ride in my truck. She showed me around her town and hinted at where she lived. She is a bit chubbier than her picture but I found her beautiful. She was very self-conscious and reserved. I understood that. I also treated her with respect and allowed her to dictate the date.

About a week later I suggested we have a picnic at my local park. I picked up some 1" rib-eyes and assorted cold salads and we met at the park. She took a bunch of pictures of me and we chatted and did a nature walk in the woods. She kissed my cheek.

We have gone back to emailing. I told her my street address and sent her a google map. I invited her anytime she want to come visit. She told me where she lives but not the specific address. I understand that a woman may feel insecure about a guy she just met. I gave her my phone number and I called her.

I tried to set up a date with her for the BBQ & Blues festival but she declined at the last minute.
I found that she is extremely reserved but continues to answer back. She has never once invited me to visit her home and only emails me once a day or two. I always respond with a email and I never push sex or meeting.

I want to get closer to this woman that says she thinks I'm great but I can't seem to get her to put her hands down long enough to get close. If this keeps up I am going to have to look elsewhere.

During these encounters, both personally and virtually I get filled with love. I think about her being part of my life and us getting really close. It fills me with joy and I want to go sweep her into my arms.

Am I in love or in love with the idea of being in love? We all have issues and she has plenty. Nothing that trips my alarms but some things I am not fond of. I am willing to overlook those things to be closer to her. From what she has told me I know I could be good for her. Am I setting myself up for disappointment?

Have I been alone for so long that any love I feel gets warped into a delusion? Is there a way to clear the fog of anticipation to prove whether it is true love of just the idea of love?

We have yet to discuss sex but we have talked about what 'making love' should be and we are aligned on all the major points. My desire for her company is not driven by lust. Yes, I want her in my bed but not just in my bed - I also want her in my head and heart.

I am pretty articulate and know how to put my feelings to words and she is well aware of my intentions. She claims to want more in our relationship but from her responses to my suggestions to meet at our homes are suggestive but never definite - If so, I would already be there.

Any suggestions?

Am I forcing a dead horse because I love the anticipation of 'being in love' or could this really be love?

I'm a man. These things confuse the hell out of me!

Tomishereagain's photo
Mon 12/22/14 09:11 PM
Some good points and lots of sarcasm - as expected.
I am seeing who is who by post counts.
Which in itself is another tool.

To feel inferior from someone using the word "worthy" is another tell-tale. I have met unworthy and they are abundant. I do not infer that I am superior to anyone. I am just another human being on the same planet. I do however, know what qualities in other human beings are worthy to me. We all do. Worth is value.

Notice how the high post counts hijack the discussion. Is it because they no longer have the urge or the faith to participate in a real discussion or is it because they are so jaded by rejection for so long that they can't bear someone else having any say.

Thanks for showing me that this forum is no different.

Tomishereagain's photo
Mon 12/22/14 12:46 PM
KLC, Worthy is a defining word and is powerful. If being worthy is detrimental, you might want to look at why? Not trying to be mean but don't we all want someone Worthy?

I have a lot of pride in myself and I love myself. It would be stupid of me to accept someone that is not worthy of my love and there are many that are not.

As for the ladies, I feel for you. I have heard about what some men will do and frankly it makes us all look bad. Just know that there are some of us that have respect and manners. We may not be able to express it all as a woman but if you use the tools to find out about us we can amaze you.

I push the safety issues because I have had encounters in the past where I didn't use the tools and I didn't follow my instincts and it had been bad. I recovered but those lessons were learned hard. I'm picky but I need to be.

We love deeply when it is true and to make rash decisions that will affect your happiness and even your life is not conducive to your well-being.

The most difficult part is that women are jaded by the misfits that turn ugly and it makes it that much harder for a good man to find a good woman.

Plus you need to realize that the photo you love might not be the normal look of someone. This is why skype is important in the online dating process. Skype give you a chance to see someone as they are. It allows you to see the habits and mannerisms that you used to see and watch in bars and at dances and stuff.

Once I am comfortable talking and sharing info on messaging systems I often will invite a skype chat. Not not to show you my junk! So you can see me and I can see you as you are naturally. I have had a few instances where I was totally duped until we agreed to skype. One woman said she doesn't do drugs and during skype I saw her bong on the table. I don't concern myself over smoking pot - I will with someone special but I don't NEED it. What concerned me and ultimately ended our online courtship is the fact that she lied about it.

I am at a disadvantage because I hate using phones. I can but I prefer not to. Many women want to text and call me. I just don't so that. I prefer skype over a phone call. With today's technology we no longer have to settle for a voice in a box. Most phones have the ability to skype so why not use it. Unless there is something to hide?

ShanonHugs, You're welcome. I wish you all the luck in finding your special someone. You will wade thru a lot of MUCK to find him but if you are careful and know what you want you will find him. Just be careful.

MelMaxx, I don't think you are a prude and you wouldn't be on a dating site if you were not looking. I think you are just being smart and looking out for your best interests. Just remember to give us guys a chance.

The blocking feature is also a wonderful tool. With all the possible candidates you see and contact there are bound to be many that are unworthy of you. Blocking them removes them from the masses so you can continue looking without being harassed.
At one dating site, in the forums, you can block people from your view. I once posted a request for everyone to block me. When asked why? I stated that if all the lifers and jaded people block me the ones left will be that much better. LOL - It didn't work - only one person blocked me.

Which brings me to the Forums and reading personalities.
That site where I requested to be blocked is full of mean, nasty, jaded people that thrive on creating and perpetuating drama. So far, Mingle2 forums are not this way...so far.
People lose hope and lose sight of why they are on a dating site in the first place. There are much better forum communities on the web for general discussions and playfulness. We should all try to remember why we are here.

I like how Mingle2 separates the threads into categories. If I want to play I can go to games, If I want to discuss my passions I can go to the section where I can find others like-minded.

Here, In Dating & Relationships I can learn how the community thinks about the process. I can read about people's trial and errors and find out what is valuable and what is not.

I can search comments by specific members and read their views on a multitude of subjects that helps me to understand the person I am interested in. I have seen some that are very down to Earth and solid and many that are complete fools and liars. Use the forums as a tool and as a learning experience. Share some of yourself and be natural.

Tomishereagain's photo
Mon 12/22/14 10:51 AM
I am recently a new member here but I have been online dating for years so ignore my low post count.

I know I am here to find my special someone. If I were in a position to find her elsewhere I would have already found her. I am in a position to relocate easily but I would prefer to stay where I am.

Online dating sites are pretty common and I find the same misconceptions here as I do on the many others I visit. We all must be very careful in our screening process before setting up a real life meet-up.

Many people on these sites use it for getting laid. There are lots better sites for that than the online dating sites. The sex only people make it hard for those of us that are seeking a good friend or a special someone. I have talked with many women online and the things they tell me that men do on these sites explain why most of us are still alone.

This is where YOU DO WANT to put your best foot forward. If your online personality is all about sex and being insensitive you will not find anyone special. Chances are you will get what you deserve, someone that will lay you and leave you but give you drama, problems and even an STD. If that is your goal it will explain your participation methods. What is bad is that there are so many with that goal, It creates a barrier for normal, good-hearted & worthy people from finding who they seek. I find that selfish.

Profile Photos
You should try to keep your profile photo current and accurate. Physical attraction is always the first thing in any relationship. This is a dating site and a place to meet someone. I have met many women that have older pictures on their profile to the point of not recognizing them when we first meet. To me - That is the First Lie.

Messaging
Lately, Especially here, I have noticed that people are not using the messaging feature correctly. Messaging is for weeding out the unworthy and creating a re-pore that gives you security in your choice. Many will try to give phone numbers, email addresses and meet-up locations after only a few messages.
Use the messaging system to ask the vital questions you each need to know. Only give your personal information when you both are secure in the safety of one another. This can't be done with only 3 or 4 messages. Any woman that wants my information before we get to know each other is a scammer. Be patient and safeguard your information until you know its the right time. If they are worthy - they will wait.

Friends but Not Partners
I have found that there are many women that are just not who I am looking for. They are beautiful people but just not the one. Just because you know they are not the one doesn't mean you have to stop talking to them. I have met many women that I am still friends with even tho we didn't click. That in itself says a lot for any personality.

Use all the Tools
Dating sites give you many tools to find someone special. To not use them is a waste and can often put you in a situation you don't want to be in.
The profile is but one tool. It should be used to evaluate if someone is worth contacting. Heed their profile.
The message system is a way to learn more about them or to test their validity. I have found some very good friendships using the message system.
The Nudge lets someone know you are interested. It is a way to say hi without committing to anything. I use the Nudge to see if someone will respond.
The "Viewed Me" feature is a way to see if others find you interesting. Many views are generated by curiosity and mean nothing but if the same person views you multiple times you might want to try first contact. They might be shy or unsure.
The Forums
What better way to judge someones personality than to look at their comments in the forums. I see many women that have great profiles but become unworthy due to their forum comments.

Anyhoo, I would like to read some realistic and focused comments on this subject. It would be nice to know if I am the strange one and at the wrong dating site.

Sex is personal. I believe it should be discussed personally. It shouldn't be a barrier but it should be something that is one on one. After all it is as physically close as two people can get.

Tomishereagain's photo
Sun 12/21/14 04:30 PM
A
Abduction = 1x
Abominable Dr. Phibes = 2x
Above the Law = 2x
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter = 15x Good Movie all around
Absent-Minded Professor = 4 x old 2x remake
Abyss = 16x Concept
Across the Universe = 2x
Act of Valor = 2x
Adjustment Bureau = 2x