Community > Posts By > Amelinng

Amelinng's photo
Sun 08/09/15 01:07 AM

Forget the Sixth Sense - I have the SEVENTH Sense: I see people who say they've seen ghosts!

Cute cute...... and I guess I have something in between then!!!
I see ghosts and I hear ghosts..... people who have died, they are still appearing on TV and I hear them still singing their songs!
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

But seriously, I don't wish to see them, knowing and having felt their presence is enough.

Amelinng's photo
Sun 08/09/15 01:03 AM
Zee....just a quick peek in to say hello and do take care!

Amelinng's photo
Sun 08/09/15 12:58 AM

i read this thread an hour ago, but now i feel as though i need to read it again...:wink:

And why is that so, KC?
It is either that you find some of the subjects/contents interesting, or you are losing your memory.....:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ame, it's like eating Chinese food. He is hungry an hour later. Get it? laugh

Is that it? Good.....:banana: :banana: :banana:

Amelinng's photo
Sun 08/09/15 12:55 AM

let's talk about ghosts... scared bigsmile

Friday August 28, 2015 (8/28/2015)
The Ghost Festival, also known as the Hungry Ghost Festival, or Yu Lan is a traditional Chinese festival and holiday celebrated by Chinese in many countries. In the Chinese calendar (a lunisolar calendar), the Ghost Festival is on the 15th night of the seventh lunar month (14th in southern China).

In Chinese tradition, the fifteenth day of the seventh month in the lunar calendar is called Ghost Day and the seventh month in general is regarded as the Ghost Month (鬼月), in which ghosts and spirits, including those of the deceased ancestors, come out from the lower realm. Distinct from both the Qingming Festival (in Spring) and Chung Yeung Festival (in Autumn) in which living descendants pay homage to their deceased ancestors, on Ghost Day, the deceased are believed to visit the living.

On the fifteenth day the realms of Heaven and Hell and the realm of the living are open and both Taoists and Buddhists would perform rituals to transmute and absolve the sufferings of the deceased. Intrinsic to the Ghost Month is veneration of the dead, where traditionally the filial piety of descendants extends to their ancestors even after their deaths.

Activities during the month would include preparing ritualistic food offerings, burning incense, and burning joss paper, a papier-mâché form of material items such as clothes, gold and other fine goods for the visiting spirits of the ancestors. Elaborate meals (often vegetarian meals) would be served with empty seats for each of the deceased in the family treating the deceased as if they are still living. Ancestor worship is what distinguishes Qingming Festival from Ghost Festival because the latter includes paying respects to all deceased, including the same and younger generations, while the former only includes older generations. Other festivities may include, buying and releasing miniature paper boats and lanterns on water, which signifies giving directions to the lost ghosts and spirits of the ancestors and other deities.

As the ghosts and the suffering spirits will come out from the hell to visit their homes during the 7th lunar month (the ghost month), many things should be avoided during this month including the ghost day.

1. Don't stroll at night.
2. Don't swim. It is said that drowned evil ghosts might try to drown people in order to find victims for them to rebirth.
3. As the month is considered to be inauspicious, don't move to new a house, start new businesses or marry.
4. Don't hang clothes outside at night.
5. Do not pick up coins or money found on the street and if one does, never bring any home.
6. Do not step on or kick the offerings by the roadside. If one were to step on any offerings by accident, her or she should apologize aloud to ameliorate the situation
7. Do not wear red because ghosts are attracted to red.
8. Don't sing and whistle as these may attract ghosts.
9. Keep away from the walls as it is believed that ghosts like sticking to walls.
10. If someone is born during the ghost month, avoid celebrating birthday at night. It's better to celebrate during the daytime.

Actually, the hell gates open on the 11th hour of the eve of the start of the 7th month, and closes on the last day at the end of the 7th month.

It is true that kids/babies are especially advised to be kept indoors at night, and to avoid bringing them out to stroll as they are sensitive to spirits.

I remembered when my youngest brother and sister were really young, 4 and 6, I think and their nose started bleeding out of the blue. We found out later that someone took them out, and they found some coins at the roadside and picked it up. It was offerings for the ghosts/spirits..... I don't remember how it was remedied.

There are lots of taboos/superstitions that we observe during this month and some may even 'smirk' and laugh at those of us who observe, but there are just too many occurrences that are 'unexplainable' that are linked to this for us to ignore it.

Amelinng's photo
Sun 08/09/15 12:45 AM

i read this thread an hour ago, but now i feel as though i need to read it again...:wink:

And why is that so, KC?
It is either that you find some of the subjects/contents interesting, or you are losing your memory.....:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Amelinng's photo
Sun 08/09/15 12:42 AM

let's talk about ghosts... scared bigsmile

Some of us don't talk about ghosts....... we talk to ghosts!

Amelinng's photo
Wed 08/05/15 04:18 AM

Debbie, marry me!!! love laugh flowers rofl

sure lol laugh laugh laugh laugh flowers

brokenheart brokenheart brokenheart brokenheart brokenheart brokenheart brokenheart brokenheart brokenheart brokenheart

I see a long line of dejected and broken hearts laugh laugh laugh

Amelinng's photo
Wed 08/05/15 04:06 AM
Edited by Amelinng on Wed 08/05/15 04:14 AM

slaphead some people never learn until they get their head bitten off!

On second thoughts......hmm, maybe they are waiting to get bitten!whoa winking biggrin

Amelinng's photo
Wed 08/05/15 04:00 AM
Kaustuv.... you must have been a Chinese in one of your past lives! :laughing: biggrin :thumbsup:

Amelinng's photo
Wed 08/05/15 03:57 AM

Stop complaining and get back to work.......rant pitchfork :tongue:

LOL..... we should be thankful that we have jobs to go to when there are some who are still struggling to get a job!!!

Talk about work..... try working 18 hours a day, day in day out for months on end!!! But I survived it, so there shades shades shades

and thee are many with teeth marks to prove just how near a thing it was too:wink:

pitchfork pitchfork pitchfork
devil devil devil
Don't you taunt them 'fang people'!laugh laugh laugh

Amelinng's photo
Wed 08/05/15 03:55 AM
Edited by Amelinng on Wed 08/05/15 03:55 AM
Besides, who buys an old ox to do ploughing???

There are days and times when just holding hands, snuggling, cuddling and kissing suffice, and an 'old ox' has the patience and 'endurance' to do just that!:heart: :heart: :heart:

Enough said!:tongue:

Amelinng's photo
Wed 08/05/15 03:43 AM
Edited by Amelinng on Wed 08/05/15 03:43 AM
Stop complaining and get back to work.......rant pitchfork :tongue:

LOL..... we should be thankful that we have jobs to go to when there are some who are still struggling to get a job!!!

Talk about work..... try working 18 hours a day, day in day out for months on end!!! But I survived it, so there shades shades shades

Amelinng's photo
Wed 08/05/15 03:38 AM

bigsmile

Hiya..... Tilly! flowerforyou :heart: smooched

But those needles makes me 'squirmy'........yikes!

Amelinng's photo
Wed 08/05/15 03:20 AM

Welcome back, babe! You have been missed!! flowerforyou

Thanks Mai for the welcome back flowers

Amelinng's photo
Wed 08/05/15 03:18 AM

Mei ....... beautiful!

(my middle name..... hehehe!!! biggrin )

Guo ....... country

And so, the USA is 'beautiful country'..... great right?

Amelinng's photo
Wed 08/05/15 03:02 AM

waving

:heart: flowerforyou :smile:

Hi Kaustuv waving Great to see your posts again!

Amelinng's photo
Sat 08/01/15 05:12 AM
I have so neglected this thread...... but I will try to post something soon. Just trying to get back to being 'sociable' after being a 'work machine'.

Hope I have been absent but not forgotten.

And recently, I have been asked if I could coach a very special friend to speak Chinese..... and it brings to mind that it is never too late to learn something new, irregardless of our age.

huó dào lǎo, xué dào lǎo - A man is never too old to learn.

Amelinng's photo
Sat 08/01/15 05:03 AM

Ame!!! Welcome back. Two months of absence!!! I missed you!!! How have you been, lady? flowerforyou

Hiya..... Mai! Well, it feels good to be missed and yes, it has been that long of an absence.

I have just been so so busy with work, but will have to dive back into it to pick up the pieces and fit them....LOL!

Thanks, girl for the flowers...... flowerforyou

Amelinng's photo
Sat 08/01/15 04:35 AM

anywho.. aside from that.. working like crazy... continuing the renos (which seems to be a never ending story whoa) and TRYING to stay outta trouble :angel: pitchfork laugh

well.. got another big day ahead, work wise.. so.. hoping everyone's doin well and enjoying their summer! :heart: y'all!!
till next time... waving

Hiya fellow workaholic! I survived 3 deadlines all 2 weeks ahead of each other. I am finally but surely crawling out of that pile of paper work.... but a lot more to be done.

Just checking up on you and hope your tests reveals positive results. Take care, Zee dear flowerforyou :heart: flowers

Amelinng's photo
Thu 05/21/15 04:23 AM
You still have to stay positive about this, he would need all the help and support from family and friends to get thru' this. He is young and stands a better chance of getting thru' this.

I have been encouraging a friend too who has just been diagnosed with the big C, and who wanted to just give it all up. So, we do what we can, and the rest is up to them. But we let them know we are there for them when and if they need the support.

flowerforyou

1 2 3 4 6 8 9 10 24 25