Community > Posts By > peggy122

peggy122's photo
Sat 10/28/17 10:58 AM

quote from peggy
We wont be buddies anymore but Im not sure if I could cut them off altogether either.

so what not friends anymore but visit them in jail and help support their defense ?

For me , visiting them in jail is not supporting their defense. I already made it clear that I would support the full retribution of the law, but I would honor the friendship we had by trying to understand why they did what they did

Yes, I agree, more likely I would too. Forgiveness and compassion doesn't mean I condone their actions, or defend them.

If my father abused me, I would find forgiveness and still love him.... but that doesn't mean I accept his behaviors as being okay. He once said he should have gone to jail for his actions... yes he should have! But his remorse over the years was his punishment and I still loved him, even now that he's in his grave!

So in the end, I would be the same way for a friend.

Its admirable that you were able to forgive your father under those horrible circumstances Pisces. It really says alot about you flowerforyou

peggy122's photo
Sat 10/28/17 10:56 AM

They were never the person you thought they were.

As well as their hideous crime they have also deceived you. A bit fat swerve.

So you would assume that all their years of kindness to you was fake Joe?

Maybe their kindness wasn’t fake, but they were definitely not the person you thought they were.

If it were a parent, or a child you discovered those atrocious things about, how would you cope with it then?

You can’t move the goalposts now Peggy ohwell
The feeling of doing the right thing for the victim would outweigh the feeling of anything else I think.
You or I are not the criminal in this case.

For me personally, even with a family member , I would still support the law in dispensing justice in the situation, but I admit that it would kill me to do it , especially if my relative refused to have contact with me because of that decision.

But I couldn't live with myself knowing that the victims were subjected to a life time of suffering because of my relative, but my relative got off easily. Its a horrible decision to have to make actually . I would be choosing the lesser of two evils in my mind.

That said, even with supporting the retribution of the law, I wouldnt cut ties with my child or parent, even if our relationship could only be transacted with jail bars between us.

Yes, it’s a tough one with family involved. I’m not sure if any of us could give a definite answer to this one without being in that situation. That’s why I mentioned the goalposts.

But you certainly know how to open up a can of worms.
Now across my knee for your punishment.

What a naughty boy! :smile:

peggy122's photo
Sat 10/28/17 10:46 AM

Interesting query Peg.
I think of all those parents with serial killer kids,
they (mostly) defend them until the end, often in
complete denial about what their child has done.

I call it love.
Same as friendship.
Now, what to do, when the truth comes out.
For me, I do believe the friendship would trump the
bad deed(s).

We are all flawed.
Some get caught.
Some never do.
I do not want the actions of others to affect
how I live my life..or how I affect other's.

Love to the end.

You have a big heart soufie flowerforyou

Would you defend their actions then or lobby for the leniency of the law regarding their crime?

peggy122's photo
Sat 10/28/17 10:34 AM

Humm as simple as this would seem to most just to cut ties at times it would make you wonder what you would do if this person was a child,spouse or someone that you was very close too...

As a parent if it was one of my kids or grand kids there is no way I could just cut the ties with them......noway Instead I would try to understand what happened and then it would depend on if they show any remorse for any damage they may have caused...

I have had to make a similar choice with some friends.. Actually they were friends of friends that I met while going to watch a local band... Had been to their house for New Years a couple of times even before I found out... The couple ended up going through a divorce due to she cheated on him.. But in that time she had asked me to meet her to watch another local band and in the proceeded tells me he is on a list for Pedophiles ( had to do with his daughter from his first wife at the age of 5)Not sure what really happened for I found it funny that him and his daughter seem to have a good relationship....My first thought was WTF OMG that to me is up their with murder!

So I proceeded to look it up to see if it is true... Did my search and low and behold there he was on the list..... I still see him and his new wife he is with now at the club from time to time and will be civil and say hi... but that is as far as it goes... I have no use for anyone that is a Pedophile.... Those I will put the distance between us...

Honestly pretty much anyone that goes to prison for those things I would pretty much put distance between us even family....

Not my place to judge another but it is my place to keep myself,family & friends safe from those that could do us harm~~~whoa

I couldnt abandon family in that situation either kristi, and like you, I would still be wise and not put myself or my loved ones in a position to be harmed by them, while transacting that relationship

peggy122's photo
Sat 10/28/17 10:25 AM

Maybe their kindness wasn’t fake, but they were definitely not the person you thought they were.

I agree, and I believe I would find myself questioning their kindness. Were they being kind all those years because I was always kind to them? Suppose I were to defy them in some way...would that person suddenly turn on me and hurt me the way he/she did others?

I see where you're coming from peggy, I struggle with this too. On one hand, I'd like to say God forgives everyone, who am I not to. But I'm human and there are some things, especially if it's too close to home, that I would have a really hard time continuing a friendship with that person without having conflicting feelings that they need to be locked away forever, or wondering if they will do the same to me!

I do agree with what you said about them needing to face consequences at the full retribution of the law.

I relate to everything you said Pisces. Its obvious that the friendship would be damaged after that, but would that mean a total severing of ties in the aftermath of the awful discovery about them?

Like you, I would want to hear them out and try to have some sort of understanding. It would damage any likelihood of friendship, but whether it severed the relationship completely would depend on their level of remorse and commitment to make retribution for their actions.

That makes sense Pisces. If they attempt to justify their actions, I would think they were either psychotic or irrevocably evil , Hard to get a friendship past that wall

peggy122's photo
Sat 10/28/17 10:18 AM

quote from peggy
We wont be buddies anymore but Im not sure if I could cut them off altogether either.

so what not friends anymore but visit them in jail and help support their defense ?

For me , visiting them in jail is not supporting their defense. I already made it clear that I would support the full retribution of the law, but I would honor the friendship we had by trying to understand why they did what they did

peggy122's photo
Sat 10/28/17 10:07 AM

i wouldn't jump to it was false. how ever it would cease to carry weight with me.

and no having it be family would not change my reaction as long as we are talking about just your stated op.

some things are just plain wrong / evil

So would you sever all ties with that family member Eric?

peggy122's photo
Sat 10/28/17 09:58 AM
Edited by peggy122 on Sat 10/28/17 10:04 AM

If it were a parent, or a child you discovered those atrocious things about, how would you cope with it then?

You can’t move the goalposts now Peggy ohwell
The feeling of doing the right thing for the victim would outweigh the feeling of anything else I think.
You or I are not the criminal in this case.

For me personally, even with a family member , I would still support the law in dispensing justice in the situation, but I admit that it would kill me to do it , especially if my relative refused to have contact with me because of that decision.

But I couldn't live with myself knowing that the victims were subjected to a lifetime of suffering because of my relative, but my relative got off without consequences. Its a horrible decision to have to make actually . I would be choosing the lesser of two evils in my mind.

That said, even with supporting the retribution of the law, I wouldnt cut ties with my child or parent, even if our relationship could only be transacted with jail bars between us, which makes me think that if I can do that for a family member, could I do the same for a friend?

peggy122's photo
Sat 10/28/17 09:48 AM
Edited by peggy122 on Sat 10/28/17 09:50 AM

That's a tough one peggy, like I said in my other post, I would hope I could be all forgiving. As a parent, I would forgive my adult child and try to find compassion. I might even blame myself for something going terrible wrong with them. But I would still want them to face retribution. Same applies to if it were my parent....although this could be a tougher challenge!

It's a good point though. How is it we can forgive our children or parent for horrendous crimes...if we do so....but some how choose to discard others for their crimes?

Well forgiving definitely doesnt mean absoving someone of the consequences of their wrong, whether it is a friend or a parent.

But we definitely feel deeper investment in a family member and would be more likely to struggle with them receiving punishment as it feels like you are being punished too as an extension of them

peggy122's photo
Sat 10/28/17 09:41 AM

I agree, and I believe I would find myself questioning their kindness. Were they being kind all those years because I was always kind to them? Suppose I were to defy them in some way...would that person suddenly turn on me and hurt me the way he/she did others?

I see where you're coming from peggy, I struggle with this too. On one hand, I'd like to say God forgives everyone, who am I not to. But I'm human and there are some things, especially if it's too close to home, that I would have a really hard time continuing a friendship with that person without having conflicting feelings that they need to be locked away forever, or wondering if they will do the same to me!

I do agree with what you said about them needing to face consequences at the full retribution of the law.

I relate to everything you said Pisces. Its obvious that the friendship would be damaged after that, but would that mean a total severing of ties in the aftermath of the awful discovery about them?

peggy122's photo
Sat 10/28/17 09:36 AM

That makes sense Eric.:thumbsup:

For me, I have a weird battle with gratitude. If someone has been good to me for an extended period of time, I find it hard to dismiss it even when I receive new conflicting information about the person.

I think the Psychologists refer to it as a case of cognitive dissonance?

Yes, the weird feelings you have about your inner conflict is called cognitive dissonance. However, cognitive dissonance isn't a CAUSE, it's a symptom or result. What you can do to resolve the overall issues, and get rid of your 'dissonance' sensation, is to more thoroughly explore your own principles and social habits.

Something to consider with this particular question, for example, might be that you are one of the people who subconsciously think of acts of kindness or respect, as being a sort of social currency or cash. And that someone can OBLIGATE you to be nice and supportive of them against your will, simply by being nice to you.

It's a common enough thought error, usually the result of suffering from the "say-thank-you-to-aunt-Martha-for-the-nice-sweater-that-you-never-want-to-be-seen-in" syndrome, as a child.

I understand where you are coming from Igor but for me , I look at it from the perspective that no one owes me kindness or loyalty , so when I get it, Im grateful for it. It doesnt mean I have to be the person's friend , but I would naturally feel inclined to honor their loyalty in some way.even f it means giving them the chance to explain to me why they did what they did and why they thought it was right.

peggy122's photo
Sat 10/28/17 09:24 AM
Edited by peggy122 on Sat 10/28/17 09:28 AM

well with out trying to drive this off the rails and including joe's last...

let's say your "friend " was a little short guy with dark hair and a goofy mustache and you just discovered all of his camps?

Knowing myself, I would still want to figure out why he thought what he did was right. And after he justified his actions, which Hitler undoubtedly would, I would explain to him that I could never support him in such attrocities.

But my point is that I couldnt imagine just cutting the person out of my life immediately

And by the way eric, let me ask you what I asked joe.

Would you deal with it differently if you discovered it was your child , parent of family member that was commiting the attrocities?

peggy122's photo
Sat 10/28/17 09:17 AM

peggy122's photo
Sat 10/28/17 09:13 AM
Edited by peggy122 on Sat 10/28/17 09:15 AM

i hear that peggy. but for me at least, that evaporates just as soon as you cross from, being caught in the middle of really strange circumstances, to omg you really did that.

I think most people would agree with you Eric but I simply cant forget kindness rendered to me if it was genuine. The relationship would be over, but not sure if I could cut them off altogether

peggy122's photo
Sat 10/28/17 09:04 AM

peggy122's photo
Sat 10/28/17 09:02 AM
Edited by peggy122 on Sat 10/28/17 09:10 AM

the only reason i would have for understanding would be to prevent a repeat occurrence with a new friend

That makes sense Eric.:thumbsup:

For me, I have a weird battle with gratitude. If someone has been good to me for an extended period of time, I find it hard to dismiss it even when I receive new conflicting information about the person.

I think the Psychologists refer to it as a case of cognitive dissonance?

peggy122's photo
Sat 10/28/17 08:32 AM

way out there peggy but...

somethings are just beyond ignoring. in my opinion this is one of them. slam click and good riddance

I was actually thinking about the people we have seen on the news who have been accused of horrible crimes in recent times, and I started wondering how their friends coped with the shocking discovery,

Believe it or not Eric, I would be torn between cutting all ties versus trying to understand what caused them to live that double life.

One thing Im sure of is that I would support the full retribution of the law. No one should be allowed to commit these crimes without punishment

peggy122's photo
Sat 10/28/17 08:11 AM
Edited by peggy122 on Sat 10/28/17 08:57 AM

It could have been a wedding , or baby shower, retirement or birthday party .

Share if your peeps ever surprised you :)

peggy122's photo
Sat 10/28/17 08:11 AM
Edited by peggy122 on Sat 10/28/17 08:37 AM
... or a serial killer, or a drug lord or something equally horrible ...

They are now being charged for their crime and going through all the legal proceedings .

They have been loyal and kind to you for years, but now you have to reconcile that with the fact that they have devastated many lives.

Would you immediately end the friendship? If not, what would you do?

Ps: With the discovery of abusers like Jared Fogle, and other seemingly normal people in recent times, it really made me wonder how friends and family of these perpetrators coped with this new information

peggy122's photo
Sat 10/28/17 03:09 AM
Im 42. Welcome to mingle Iceprincesslian flowerforyou