Mon 10/05/09 03:20 AM
Caps? I think you meant WINGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSlaugh laugh laugh laugh

no photo
Sun 10/04/09 03:08 PM
Happy Sunday everyone!!!!!!!!!!

how's everyone doing? flowerforyou

no photo
Sun 10/04/09 02:48 PM
You know what, after having read this thread, I'm thinking the OP isn't really 28, I mean seriously, did you his replies? My 14 year speaks better.

no photo
Sun 10/04/09 05:17 AM

While I didn't see his show, I did read the transcript. He admitted to having numerous affairs over the years, he's been with the same woman for 13 years so presumably he overlapped. I am making the assumption it is against company policy for him to have relationships with co-workers as it is against most companies' policies. None of these women sued him for sexual harrassment so presumably they were ok with it. He admitted wrong, he admitted to doing/being creepy and he said that if he was fired, or his wife left him, he deserved it and would take whatever consequences came his way. He apologized to the women he had affairs with, his wife, his family, his friends and his employers. In other words, he manned up.

While I don't watch him and neither like nor dislike him, I do admire him going on his show and doing what he did. It couldn't have been easy and he must be horribly embarrassed. While what he did was wrong on many levels, at least he has made the first steps toward an attempt to make things right, which is more than most people do.

After the fact.

Yes, it would have been better if he had never done it at all. But we're all human and make mistakes, sometimes even huge ones. It's not my place to judge that. Part of the problem with this world is the holier than thou attitude many people have, people consider themselves to be the judge, jury and executioner all in one. There is no room for error and certainly no room for forgiveness. But, it usually turns out that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I'm sure Mr. Letterman just learned that the hard way is prepared for the consequences of his actions. He stood up and is taking responsibility. Better late than never. Some people never do that at all.

no photo
Sun 10/04/09 05:00 AM
While I didn't see his show, I did read the transcript. He admitted to having numerous affairs over the years, he's been with the same woman for 13 years so presumably he overlapped. I am making the assumption it is against company policy for him to have relationships with co-workers as it is against most companies' policies. None of these women sued him for sexual harrassment so presumably they were ok with it. He admitted wrong, he admitted to doing/being creepy and he said that if he was fired, or his wife left him, he deserved it and would take whatever consequences came his way. He apologized to the women he had affairs with, his wife, his family, his friends and his employers. In other words, he manned up.

While I don't watch him and neither like nor dislike him, I do admire him going on his show and doing what he did. It couldn't have been easy and he must be horribly embarrassed. While what he did was wrong on many levels, at least he has made the first steps toward an attempt to make things right, which is more than most people do.

no photo
Sun 10/04/09 04:52 AM
I agree with that, most addicts have to reach such a low point in their lives before they'll admit they have a problem. For many, jail and the expense etc of a dui works. flowerforyou

no photo
Sun 10/04/09 03:30 AM
I wish you well and I hope you find some peace for yourself. There is nothing you can do for an addict who will not admit they have a problem. There's a saying in AA, Let Go and Let God. That goes equally well for the families/friends of alcoholics, you have no control.

As for the mental illness, until there is a diagnosis, again, there's nothing you can do. But, in your community, there should be an agency dealing with mental illness. Contact them, explain the situation and see if they can help. Usually, though, there needs to be an immediate family member who institutes involuntary proceedings. You are not, again, this is not something within your control. All you can do is learn to accept that, learn to accept you've done what you can, the rest are the choices of the person.

no photo
Sat 10/03/09 02:20 PM
waving waving waving

no photo
Sat 10/03/09 02:18 PM
(((((((((((Lady))))))))))))))

Happy Birthday !!!!! flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou flowers flowers flowers drinks drinks drinks drinker drinker drinker :heart: smooched

no photo
Sat 10/03/09 06:39 AM

I don't know

We are different I guess

We always had candy bowls full at all times in the house

As my mom did
As grandma did

We love sweets!!!

Never used them as a reward. It was just alwAys there

Maybe when it's always there they learn to control themselves and none of my girls overloaded on it

They certainly didn't become mass murderers!!!

My son gets plenty of sugar as well, and I'm pretty sure he's not going to end up a violent offender! I don't know, while sugar is certainly not the most healthy thing, I don't think it's going to turn anyone criminal.

no photo
Sat 10/03/09 03:28 AM
flowerforyou

no photo
Fri 10/02/09 01:08 PM

WHY IS HITLER BEING DUG UP NOW DAYS ? HE DIED IN 1945 BY HES OWN HAND . THERE HAVE BEEN SO MANY WARS SENCE THEN SO PEOPLE HAVE DIED NOTHING CHANGES . most of the things people claim about him are lies . when he was a young man he talked to the Jewish kid to see if he could help them become more able to be friends with the people they where living around .. ie the Germans ... but they didn't want to so later in life no body liked them . very few Germans would help them in there time of need . but they were the ones who brought down the wrath of god on them .
part of this can be verified by a book Hitler wrote . mien kampf ... and another one written by a Rabi named WHY DO JEWS DO THINGS . IN THE FIRST CHAPTER 1 IT SAYS EVERY THING THE DO IS TO IRATAE THERE NIEABOORS . I know some Jews who had there family almost wiped out completely and the didn't know this . the Shaw's the beanies all to piss you off . now look at what it cost them 6,000,000 people just be cause there leaders refused to good neighbours . now they are doing it again. israel is not there home land they lived in babylon first they move there from the mountains by babelon and before that northeast of the Caspian sea . leave those people alone .

noway noway noway

OMG, anti-semitism at it's finest frustrated frustrated frustrated scared scared scared

no photo
Fri 10/02/09 11:52 AM

TxsGal,

I live across the river from Illinois. I graduated from high school in '77 too, btw. Well, Illinois let people 18 and older drink. Yep, the Missouri kids were getting the alcohol from Illinois and bringing it home. I could drive 15 minutes and go dancing in a bar at 18 years old. There were dollar ladies' nights and Happy Hour too.

Ditto, I grew up across the river from Canada, drinking age was 18 but 16 to get in the bars. They would stamp your hand with very cheap ink that you were underage, you got your hand stamped then hit the bathroom immediately to wipe it off. We couldn't bring booze back but getting drunk and coming back across the border? Piece of cake. And the exchange rate then on money was very favorable, what cost $2 in the states cost 1/2 that in Canada.

no photo
Fri 10/02/09 11:11 AM
Yup, most definitely. I do get a regular pedicure, used to be every 2-3 weeks, now it's more like every 6 (sometimes more). But, with the economy the way it is, I'd rather give up my own indulgences than anyone else in my family. Hopefully, it's just temporary (been saying that for over a year now lol). flowerforyou

no photo
Fri 10/02/09 11:09 AM
Even back in the day (I graduated in 85), there was a pretty significant drug problem in our junior highs and high schools. I went to school in a smallish town, fairly rural at the time, not an urban setting, too. I don't really think it's any worse now than it was then. What I think is that it's far more open now. Getting high then was something every "class" of kids did, not just the "stoners." Not everyone did, of course, but it wasn't relegated to just one clique, if you will. But, it was definitely hidden and getting busted was a BIG deal. Now, not so much.

no photo
Fri 10/02/09 08:46 AM
All the world's a stage and we are merely players drinker drinker :banana: :banana:

no photo
Fri 10/02/09 08:45 AM
I have to agree with others, you're playing games and they're shallow? I'd agree that they may be shallow but look at it this way, perhaps they perceived YOU as being dishonest? They stopped writing not because you've gained weight but because you weren't honest from the get-go.

Pot calling the kettle black here

no photo
Fri 10/02/09 06:35 AM

Eating Candy in Childhood Linked to Adult Crime
By ALICE PARK Alice Park Fri Oct 2, 4:50 am ET
What parent hasn't used candy to pacify a cranky child or head off a brewing tantrum? When reasoning, threats and time-outs fail, a sugary treat often does the trick. But while that chocolate-covered balm may be highly effective in the short term, say British scientists, it may be setting youngsters up for problem behavior later. According to a new study, kids who eat too many treats at a young age risk becoming violent in adulthood.

The research was led by Simon Moore, a senior lecturer in Violence and Society Research at Cardiff University in the U.K., who specializes in the study of vulnerable youngsters. Moore had been investigating the factors that lead children to commit serious crimes, when, during the course of his work, he discovered that "kids with the worst problems tend to be impulsive risk takers, and that these kids had terrible diets - breakfast was a Coke and a bag of chips," he says. (Read "Why Media Could Be Bad for Your Child's Health.")

Intrigued by this association, Moore turned to the British Cohort Study, a long-term survey of 17,000 people born during a one-week period in April 1970. That study included periodic evaluations of many different aspects of the growing children's lives, such as what they ate, certain health measures and socioeconomic status. Moore plumbed the data for information on kids' diet and their later behavior: at age 10, the children were asked how much candy they consumed, and at age 34, they were questioned about whether they had been convicted of a crime. Moore's analysis suggests a correlation: 69% of people who had been convicted of a violent act by age 34 reported eating candy almost every day as youngsters; 42% of people who had not been arrested for violent behavior reported the same. "Initially we thought this [effect] was probably due to something else," says Moore. "So we tried to control for parental permissiveness, economic status, whether the kids were urban or rural. But the result remained. We couldn't get rid of it."

In other words, regardless of other environmental and lifestyle factors, like family-income level, parenting style or children's level of education, the data suggested it was only the frequency of confectionery consumption in childhood that strongly predicted adult violence. "The key message is that this study really raises more questions than answers," says Moore.

One of those questions is whether sweets themselves contain compounds that promote antisocial and aggressive behavior, or whether the excessive eating of sweets represents a lack of discipline in childhood that translates to poor impulse control in adulthood. Moore is leaning toward the latter. It's possible that children who are given sweets too frequently never learn how to delay gratification - that is, they never develop enough patience to wait for things they want, leading to impulsivity in adulthood. It's also possible that children who are poorly behaved from the start tend to get more candy.

Moore acknowledges that there is also some intriguing data suggesting that diet itself may have a profound effect on behavior. A University of Oxford researcher recently published controversial findings hinting that prisoners who were fed vitamin supplements - and therefore presumably getting well-balanced nutrition - had lower rates of disciplinary events and aggressive outbursts than a control group who were given placebo pills. While the association is preliminary, says Moore, "I think looking at diet is a fairly novel way to think of behavior over the life course."

more proof that there is a STUDY to support just about any point of view.

That was pretty much my first thought. I would think it is far more likely that kids who were eating chips and soda for breakfast (to cite one example) probably had pretty lax oversight and discipline, which IMO is far more likely to lead to bad behavior as adults.

no photo
Fri 10/02/09 06:20 AM
Eating Candy in Childhood Linked to Adult Crime
By ALICE PARK Alice Park Fri Oct 2, 4:50 am ET
What parent hasn't used candy to pacify a cranky child or head off a brewing tantrum? When reasoning, threats and time-outs fail, a sugary treat often does the trick. But while that chocolate-covered balm may be highly effective in the short term, say British scientists, it may be setting youngsters up for problem behavior later. According to a new study, kids who eat too many treats at a young age risk becoming violent in adulthood.

The research was led by Simon Moore, a senior lecturer in Violence and Society Research at Cardiff University in the U.K., who specializes in the study of vulnerable youngsters. Moore had been investigating the factors that lead children to commit serious crimes, when, during the course of his work, he discovered that "kids with the worst problems tend to be impulsive risk takers, and that these kids had terrible diets - breakfast was a Coke and a bag of chips," he says. (Read "Why Media Could Be Bad for Your Child's Health.")

Intrigued by this association, Moore turned to the British Cohort Study, a long-term survey of 17,000 people born during a one-week period in April 1970. That study included periodic evaluations of many different aspects of the growing children's lives, such as what they ate, certain health measures and socioeconomic status. Moore plumbed the data for information on kids' diet and their later behavior: at age 10, the children were asked how much candy they consumed, and at age 34, they were questioned about whether they had been convicted of a crime. Moore's analysis suggests a correlation: 69% of people who had been convicted of a violent act by age 34 reported eating candy almost every day as youngsters; 42% of people who had not been arrested for violent behavior reported the same. "Initially we thought this [effect] was probably due to something else," says Moore. "So we tried to control for parental permissiveness, economic status, whether the kids were urban or rural. But the result remained. We couldn't get rid of it."

In other words, regardless of other environmental and lifestyle factors, like family-income level, parenting style or children's level of education, the data suggested it was only the frequency of confectionery consumption in childhood that strongly predicted adult violence. "The key message is that this study really raises more questions than answers," says Moore.

One of those questions is whether sweets themselves contain compounds that promote antisocial and aggressive behavior, or whether the excessive eating of sweets represents a lack of discipline in childhood that translates to poor impulse control in adulthood. Moore is leaning toward the latter. It's possible that children who are given sweets too frequently never learn how to delay gratification - that is, they never develop enough patience to wait for things they want, leading to impulsivity in adulthood. It's also possible that children who are poorly behaved from the start tend to get more candy.

Moore acknowledges that there is also some intriguing data suggesting that diet itself may have a profound effect on behavior. A University of Oxford researcher recently published controversial findings hinting that prisoners who were fed vitamin supplements - and therefore presumably getting well-balanced nutrition - had lower rates of disciplinary events and aggressive outbursts than a control group who were given placebo pills. While the association is preliminary, says Moore, "I think looking at diet is a fairly novel way to think of behavior over the life course."

no photo
Fri 10/02/09 05:28 AM
waving

1 2 3 4 5 6 8 10 11 12 24 25