no photo
Wed 02/20/08 12:40 AM
Edited by theotherbachelor on Wed 02/20/08 12:41 AM
I am leaving for Europe in a few months. I have been thinking of going to Turkey but honestly, I wouldn't know what to expect. I'm kind of stumped on where to spend the winter. I am landing in London and going to visit a friend in Wales. Then I'm hoping to work my way through the netherlands and belgium. I want to paddle the canals. From there, I am thinking of shooting through Germany, The Czech Republic and then down to Italy and through Greece. Any recommendations would me most welcome as this is my first trip like this and I'm going all in sort of speak!

no photo
Tue 02/19/08 11:57 PM
A good choice, nanaimo bars came up a bunch of times as well as maple syrup. It was funny because every time something was mentioned, another country made a claim to it.

no photo
Tue 02/19/08 11:32 PM
Edited by theotherbachelor on Tue 02/19/08 11:54 PM
Hello all,

I was browsing a travel forum the other day when I came across a question which had started a rather large debate. Some guy in Britain was having a cultural theme party and had asked what clothing and what food best represented Canada. What is your Vote?

no photo
Mon 02/18/08 11:28 PM

First, and most important tip I can give, is to plan your travel carefully. Give yourself the time to get info on countries, treaties like Schengen (http://www.eurovisa.info/SchengenVisa.htm) and eurozone (http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/the_euro/index_en.htm?cs_mid=2946).

Second tip would be that don't worry. Europeans are just people, like anywhere in the world. And I suppose there's no country left without a McDonald's =)

Ask stuff, maybe someone here has already done some digging on questions you have.
Also, Lonely planet (www.lonelyplanet.com) and it's "thorn tree"-forum can be a massive help.

Thanks, I have been on lonely planet. Thorn tree is good but a bit confusing. I was really worried about having to slave to an itinerary but I guess I won't have to worry so much about reservations and commiting to far in advance. Its looking like I am going to fly into london and make my way around England and then to Wales to visit a friend. From there I'm thinking of getting a boat and touring some of the canals in Belgium and The Netherlands. I'm kind of worried about camping for that though. From there I think I'm heading through Germany, The Czech republic and down through Italy and Greece. I worry about finding places where you can camp along the way though. There isn't really a lot of info for camping and I doubt its like BC where you can flop down pretty much anyplace you like! Any suggestions for a good place to spend the winter?

no photo
Mon 02/11/08 05:46 PM
Thats on the list as well but I don't know when I will make it there. I really want to go to Florida again as well. We shall see how this little adventure pans out!

no photo
Mon 02/11/08 02:39 PM
wow, not to many travelers on this site I guess.

no photo
Mon 02/11/08 12:26 PM
thanks, I'm looking forward to it!

no photo
Mon 02/11/08 11:12 AM

well I had checkpoints places that I would check in with friends and family. get mail, and of course send stuff home so I wasn't bogged down.. I also had a train pass so i could hop on the eurorail ... I was only 18 when I did it so there was some safety issues involved. I did not stay at hostiles and I only stayed in hotels every so many days .. slept in a farmers field in Ireland.. Amsterdamn however I staying in a hotel .. it all depended.. Each country you go to will have it's own issues and make sure that you are familar with them.. Good luck what a great trip I stayed 9 months.. the dollar was stronger then... smokin

I love to sleep outside. Its nice to know that I won't be forced into staying in hostels and hotels all the time. I camp most of the year with work so thats what I like and what I'm used to. I'm guessing its not like BC where you can just find a spot on a river or a lake!

no photo
Mon 02/11/08 10:59 AM

I backpacked across Europe several years ago .. how long are you planning on going ? Do you have a train pass ? Do you have check points?

I'm planning on being gone for at least a year or more. I am selling my house and going for a stomp sorta speak. As this is my first trip overseas, I'm wading through hundreds of websites and getting bogged down in padded opinions and advertising. I'm looking for real information about how to properly prepare for the trip.

no photo
Mon 02/11/08 10:49 AM

Yess I do

Make sure you are taking a large bag

Cuz I am stowing away in your luggage.
Please :smile: Please:smile: Please:smile:
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

The more the merrier!

no photo
Mon 02/11/08 10:31 AM
Hi Everybody,

I am planning a trip through Europe and Australia. I was just wondering if you had any tips or advice. I would enjoy hearing about your own travels.

Cheers

no photo
Tue 02/05/08 09:37 AM
Man thats cool! Well done!

no photo
Mon 02/04/08 10:24 AM
Hello everyone,

I had some requests for closer photos so I put some up. I just wanted to let you know they are up and see what you thought. Cheers

no photo
Sun 02/03/08 05:53 PM
take this job and shove it!

no photo
Sun 02/03/08 05:48 PM
high school would have to be paradise city from Guns n Roses
20's is high hopes from pink floyd
now is probably the light by david grey

no photo
Sat 02/02/08 05:26 PM
I'm curious to know what criteria everybody used when creating your lists? Theory, playing skill, contribution to music, what makes you say they were the best?

no photo
Fri 02/01/08 01:56 PM
Randy Rhoads
Stevie Ray Vaughn
David Gilmour
Slash
Joe Satriani
Andres Segovia
Django Reinhardt
Jimmy Page
Eddie Van Halen
Eric Clapton

no photo
Thu 01/31/08 08:28 PM
The Authorative Calvin And Hobbes
By: Bill Watterson

no photo
Mon 01/28/08 06:30 PM
I agree with the letter but maybe for a time keep it to yourself. You would be suprised at what your willing to say to a piece of paper that is going to get shredded. You might also want to try writing down every emotion you can think of. Lots of times people bog down in the main ones such as happy, sad angry and they loose sight of more intricate feelings at work. Such terms as euphoria, melancholy, wistful are all at work but you don't really pay attention to them. Writing it down brings it to the front of your mind. Hope this helps!

no photo
Mon 01/28/08 05:46 PM
Right now I feel like curling up in front of a fire place with somebody.

1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 12