Community > Posts By > Bravalady

Bravalady's photo
Wed 05/23/12 12:23 PM
58 percent to 42 percent is hardly eking out a narrow victory. Any candidate who wins by that kind of margin in November (which I certainly don't expect) would be named as winning by a landslide.

Bravalady's photo
Wed 05/23/12 12:17 PM
Ah . . . shrink wrapping? Does everybody get that but me?

Bravalady's photo
Wed 05/23/12 12:15 PM
Right guy, jerk, I don't like these generalizations. People are individuals. Every single person is complicated. In fact, I'm not interested in people who aren't. They're usually pretty inflexible.

Bravalady's photo
Wed 05/23/12 12:13 PM
I certainly understand loneliness, but why not try to find these people in real life?

Bravalady's photo
Tue 05/22/12 09:45 PM
I think the amount does matter. If it's seven dollars, who's going to care?

Bravalady's photo
Tue 05/22/12 09:36 PM
A perfect question for your doctor or physical therapist.

Bravalady's photo
Mon 05/21/12 10:51 PM

It all depends on what you are looking for. Do you want a high energy dog? Labs, while quite loyal, are very hyper and can be a lot of work. They usually don't start calming down until they are around four years old. If you want a lab, I wouldn't go for a chocolate one because they tend to be the most hyper. Yellow labs are hyper but they aren't as crazy as chocolates. I love labs but I don't think I'd ever own one. I worked at a kennel for 6 years .. I've experienced my share of labs.

Border collies are usually rowdy (because of herding instincts) and they aren't as hyper as labs. They are easy to train too. English Springer Spaniels have good temperaments as do standard poodles, golden retrievers (can be a bit hyper too) ... It just all depends on how big of a dog you are looking for, and idea for personality traits, etc. Good luck!

Border collies not as hyper as labs?? Not in my experience. Border collies are one of the few breeds with an energy level comparable to the Toller I used to have. ENDLESS energy. Train them or plan to remodel your house. Labs aren't as placid as Goldens, but they're no comparison.

Bravalady's photo
Mon 05/21/12 10:43 PM
OK, this has come up before (not here) and I never got an answer. What is an E ticket?

Bravalady's photo
Mon 05/21/12 10:42 PM

there is a thin line between 'having an opinion' and being disruptive or insubordinate

I think it's quite a broad line myself. A person without an opinion is nothing but a droid. It's how you express your opinion that counts. Contrary to popular belief, it's quite possible to have a civil disagreement where people actually listen to the opposing point of view with respect. Students won't do this, though, unless it's modeled (taught to them) by the teacher.

True education is a two-way street, not stuffing predetermined biases into unresisting minds.

Bravalady's photo
Mon 05/21/12 10:35 PM
Insubordination? I thought that was in the army or a big corporation, not school. Which is supposed to train people to think. However, any teacher who can be drawn into a 10-minute argument with a student isn't doing much of a job anyway.

Bravalady's photo
Mon 05/21/12 10:31 PM

I'm sure you've had friends, colleagues, family, ask you this question. Why do you think you are single?

Thank God, none of my family or acquaintances is rude enough to ask such a thing.

The answer is simple: terrible judgment in men.

Bravalady's photo
Mon 05/21/12 10:29 PM
Not sure if this is my #1, but high on the list would be driving across country from Maine to California essentially by myself, off the main highways, seeing every national park along the way. In a Chevy van named Moby Spot. It included a year-long stop in Dallas and a passenger (obnoxious) from there to San Fran. When we went over the Rockies he screamed a lot.

Bravalady's photo
Mon 05/21/12 10:24 PM
Friday morning, ditched work to go to the hospital where my daughter was having her first baby, a month early. Got home about 2 and took a long nap, then did a couple of hours of work.

Saturday, moved a bunch of lighter/smaller stuff to my new house in advance of official moving day next week. Then went back to the hospital, then to daughter's apartment to pick up some necessities for her and her husband and take care of their dog. Back to hospital. Home.

Sunday, walked the dog again then went to the hospital, then made 2 more trips to my new house. Slept well.

Bravalady's photo
Fri 05/18/12 05:09 AM

Sooo what heppened ?

See the thread in General entitled "A Very Unfortunate Incident." But I hope you have a strong stomach.

Bravalady's photo
Thu 05/17/12 02:30 PM

I would not want it, for one. If you think about all the implications, there's really not much good that would come of it. Immortality is an adolescent dream. It's probably natural for us to fantasize about it, but wisdom would reject it.

Why would you reject it?

Immortality means forever, in the first place. Beyond the end of the universe, then. I think long before that, as the sun shrank down to a hard little ball without light or heat and with extreme gravity, I would be getting very uncomfortable.

In the second place, immortality requires a zero birth rate. I kind of like new people turning up now and then. During my eternity of life, I would eventually know every single person very, very well. No surprises left.

Third, as people get older they seem to get less flexible. We'd all be living forever with our solidly fixed opinions and quirks. I can see everybody ending up alone.

Bravalady's photo
Thu 05/17/12 02:22 PM
I'm interested in the subliminal massage too. . . . .

Bravalady's photo
Thu 05/17/12 02:05 PM
JB, have you had your iron level checked? What about protein, are you getting enough? Glucose level?

Bravalady's photo
Thu 05/17/12 02:00 PM
Darn, I assumed from the title that people would be commenting on the actual judicial opinion and not just trying to roast Obama yet again.

To me this opinion (the judicial one, I mean) was right on. Especially the part about freedom of speech applying PARTICULARLY to unpopular and extreme speech.

Bravalady's photo
Thu 05/17/12 01:54 PM
Considering what just happened yesterday, I'm suddenly much more nervous about making friends on this site. Anyone else feel the same way?

Bravalady's photo
Thu 05/17/12 01:51 PM
25 years. Although I was in a parent-child relationship for about half of that, but I don't think that's what is meant.