Community > Posts By > LexFonteyne

no photo
Sun 03/18/12 12:00 PM

Lex ought to have added that 99.9 percent of readers will ignore the entire profile text and respond on the strength of your pictures alone. Lex gets 2,000 responses a day on the average, and it irks him to no end, because he is a writer, and to a writer it's an insult to like him for his looks only. ((I sort of overexplained this, but it was for Lex's sake. And because I enjoy the feel of typing on a keyboard.))

Right, plus if I was actually as good-looking as some people seem to indicate, I would have had a girlfriend by now.

shades

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, hate me because I make up words like 'domesticatrix' and try to shoehorn them into popular media."

The domestic media don't like make-up people who toot their own shoe-horns.

Be more gentlemanly, less horny, and the girls will chase you by the truckloads.

Ah, you can't GET any more gentlemanly or less horny than me.

And chasing has never been the problem. The problem is I can't seem to get chased by anybody whose entire life isn't built on babies & booze. Assuming it's even possible for such a person to exist. Which it's not.

no photo
Sun 03/18/12 11:05 AM

Lex ought to have added that 99.9 percent of readers will ignore the entire profile text and respond on the strength of your pictures alone. Lex gets 2,000 responses a day on the average, and it irks him to no end, because he is a writer, and to a writer it's an insult to like him for his looks only. ((I sort of overexplained this, but it was for Lex's sake. And because I enjoy the feel of typing on a keyboard.))

Right, plus if I was actually as good-looking as some people seem to indicate, I would have had a girlfriend by now.

shades

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, hate me because I make up words like 'domesticatrix' and try to shoehorn them into popular media."

no photo
Sun 03/18/12 11:01 AM

Lex:

"P" may just get the dampening effect of email volume for you, as it appears to be the visual of a member hanging at ease.

If the volume dips to an unacceptably low level, you can always turn the situation around a hundred and eighty degrees by turning the P 180 degrees (into a "d").

If you ever need a vacation from unwanted mindless popularity on the site, I can always lend you a couple of my photos from my immense collection of self-portraits. Those should stop the influx of email dead in their trax.

I don't know, I've tried doing the "other picture" thing and it hasn't made any difference.

I've used pictures of my tape dispenser, a llama, Bob Saget, a cutaway view of Neptune's atmosphere, none of it makes any difference.

I don't think anyone has actually looked at my pictures or read my profile since 2008.

no photo
Sun 03/18/12 08:59 AM
There are three schools of thought on this:

1.) The empty profile

2.) The cliche-ridden profile (everyone is "laid back and easy going," everyone is "looking for Prince Charming," everyone likes "to go out or stay in," etc.

3.) The profile that actually contains some useful information about who the person is and what they're looking for, and doesn't read like a copy 'n paste of the last 285 profiles you've read.

Approximately 98.4% of all profiles I've seen fall into category 1 and 2.

no photo
Sun 03/18/12 08:41 AM

I got one this morning, the entirety of which is:

"hello how are you doing there i hope you are you doing then"

This is probably a scammer, but I don't actually have enough evidence to proceed with reporting it. Scammer or no, it is certainly incoherent enough to merit ignoring.

Notice that there is no actual mention of anything from my profile or forum postings. I take that to mean that she could be sending this same message out to anyone,at any time, without any need for individualizing it. And that hints of a scammer....

Those with Leo Tolstoy profile texts don't have the right to complain their incoming letters contain nothing re: their profile content.

A classic case of "a lot less would have been a little more."

Then, a one-or-two line profile text, while satisfactory to AD sufferers, is not enough to go on by the literary types to feel inspired to write one of their literary masterpieces of the reply of all replies.

Lex, don't take this personally. I am not talking about you at all. I am talking about me. (Well duh. Two reasons: 1. I am a male, 2. I write, 3. I like my own voice, even in the written form.)

Oh, and please don't take it personally that I am not talking about you. I am sure you understand the two points up there and can identify with them.

I used to have a profile up that was 1400+ pages in length and discussed things like the skeletal structure of the axolotl and why it is unlikely that the half-life of lawrencium will ever exceed more than a few seconds. I got a lot of e-mails but it didn't seem anyone was actually reading the profile.

So I shortened it up for the purpose of making it a much quicker and easier read. Now I get even more e-mails than I did before, but it's still quite clear that no one is reading the profile, even now.

Maybe I need to shorten it more. I think my next revision will be the letter "P" and nothing else. I will still continue to get e-mails every day saying "I read your profile and I loved it! Where are you and what do you do?"

no photo
Sun 03/18/12 07:24 AM
I got one this morning, the entirety of which is:

"hello how are you doing there i hope you are you doing then"

This is probably a scammer, but I don't actually have enough evidence to proceed with reporting it. Scammer or no, it is certainly incoherent enough to merit ignoring.

Notice that there is no actual mention of anything from my profile or forum postings. I take that to mean that she could be sending this same message out to anyone,at any time, without any need for individualizing it. And that hints of a scammer....

no photo
Sat 03/17/12 07:34 PM

And how about your vicious, mean side?

Um? This is Lex we're talking about? I'm going to have to take some time and go over a few hundred of his posts trying to find a vicious, mean side. Give me a few days. . . or weeks.

If Lex says he's frustrated about women who have manipulated him or been dishonest with him, he has always made it extremely clear that he is only talking about what he has experienced, and doesn't assume that every single woman is like that.

Regardless, I just can't put "mean" into my conception of Lex.

I think people see what they want to see, and hear what they want to hear. There are a few who seem to have a need to project some of their own personalities onto me, even though the projection is wildly inaccurate.

I would defy anyone to find a post where I have characterized any specific person on Mingle2 as "stupid." I wouldn't do it -- it violates forum rules, and it's detrimental to the whole concept of rational discourse.

If you ever see me criticize anyone, it will be in the context of generalities -- people who can't spell, people who try to trick me into having kids, people who think broccoli isn't toxic, people who write drivel in their profiles about "Prince Charming" and about how "laid back and easy going" they are.

But I don't name names. That's against the rules of the site. End of.

no photo
Sat 03/17/12 01:12 PM

"I waas been going throuh profiles and seed yours. I believe you mist be the one I trust in luking for true love. You been being the wuman I think been luking to be in relatship with me my dear because I now know I be been in love with me"surprised noway

Really, unless by some unbelievable coincidence you happen to be a second grade English teacher, there's no future with that one.

no photo
Sat 03/17/12 01:10 PM

You have chosen your niche brother.

It will continue to be what you make it.....

eventually, Lex you will see the common denominator.

I wish I could take you out on the town but....that will have to wait a bit.

tears tears tears
Ima goina cut to the chase............for someone that goes on and on how smart he is you really are stupid,life is what you make it, everyone really is quite nice to you on advice though every month you have the same old rant so it's really up to you,you can constantly whine and bemoan the fact that you are alone or do something about it, take a chance I'm sure there's someone out there that is up to your standards.

I'm sorry, I was operating under the assumption that the forums were for people to discuss the thoughts and events and problems of their lives in a helpful and civilized manner, in an attempt to resolve issues, clear up confusion, and possibly make some progress in their day-to-day lives. Apparently, I'm wrong, and they're actually intended for people to insult and disparage other members.

Silly me.

no photo
Sat 03/17/12 12:56 PM

Having read the thread, I think LexFointaine and MsSilverFox do not get that many scammers that want money. A money scammer would more likely be inclined to target ugly old men past middle age with a potbelly who need mulitple nightly potty trips.

You might have a point there. Very few of them start out asking for money. (It happens every now and then, but only rarely.)

But I do know that a lot of scammers like to collect e-mail addresses, and they know yours is valid if they can get you to write to them from it. Valid e-mail addresses, when collected in large quantities, are very useful to other scammers, and therefore salable.

As such, I think their received emails are 97% genuine. I mean, if the scammer from the Niger or Nigeria are both males who are trying to support their loving family in this legitimate job, then why would they write to lex more often than to me?

I can't answer that, but even the ones who are NOT obvious scammers are pretty pointless -- the e-mails that consist of nothing but "Hi" or "Hello" or "How are you?" Maybe those are legitimate messages, but they sure are boring and vapid.

I strongly insist that scammers do not take looks into consideration.

So Lex's and Fox's tidal wave of letters are due to them because these letters are mainly genuine.

Well, I hope not, because it would mean that even the legitimate people have the vocabulary of a grapefruit.

In fact, Ms Fox and Lex are of the calibre in good looks, who can can afford to say of people approaching them, this: "Ewww... he (or she) just wants sex from me. What a disgusting scammer."

I just automatically assume that about everybody now.

no photo
Sat 03/17/12 11:38 AM

And I was sitting here yesterday, just thumbing through the proof copy, basking a little in the feeling of "I did this" whenever one of my books comes out, and I realized something a little disconcerting.

There was no one to share it with.

that's one of the purposes of Mingle2

so...Links Man...provide Links

I've got an Author Page on Amazon, and that should answer most questions.

Anything more involved than that, I can refer people to a number of other sites if they're interested.

no photo
Sat 03/17/12 11:37 AM

To this day, I still haven't got a clue about why that relationship ended.

it's called "falling into The Abyss" ..which generally one has to do in order to get into the mind frame to complete a work or works

in the abyss you forsake all others because concentrating on them will take you out of that mind frame

it can be referred to as an addiction

All I know is one day she "needed" me and "couldn't live without" me, and a week later, she's gone like pffft! Just vanished.

My creative process is probably a little abnormal. I can't push it. It's either on or it's not, and it comes and goes arbitrarily.

no photo
Sat 03/17/12 09:52 AM

I'm with Lex on this one.. I've had sooo many scammers I can pick them out almost immediatly.. If I'm not sure I will write them one email on here and will be able to tell if I get a response.. They don't like it when you say you want to just talk on the site instead of their email address...Just report them..

That's true, their job is to get you off-site.

I used to tell them there's no reason to go anywhere else, because we have e-mail and IM and forums right here. That's not what they want to hear. They would always want to argue about it. "I want to send you some of my naughty pics!" -- that sort of thing.

I don't even bother with the conversations anymore, I just report them as soon as I've read the message and I'm sure this is another scammer. Admin is really good about deleting scammer accounts quickly. I've had some situations where the person was removed from the site before I'm done reporting them!

no photo
Sat 03/17/12 09:48 AM

What if I'm just a skeptic and report a person that I think is a scammer,but really isn't?

Admin will look into it. If it's not a scammer, then there will be no further action taken. No harm, no foul.

no photo
Sat 03/17/12 09:21 AM

What are the signs? I know the obvious one's,but it seems the scammers are getting better. Is it just me?

When you get as many scammer e-mails as I do, you learn to identify them in your sleep.

Look for the ones that try to get you off-site as quickly as possible. They usually want you to contact them at a yahoo address (although I've seen msn and hotmail on occasion, as well) -- and their yahoo addresses are often munged so as to enable them to bypass spam filters. They'll write it like "ya who dut come" or something.

If they don't provide a yahoo contact, they'll usually ask you for yours.

The main thing is they want to get you off-site, and they want you to give them a valid e-mail address, which they can then do all kinds of things with.

Look for discrepancies in their stories. A common one is that their location in their profile doesn't match where they say they are in their e-mail. I get a lot of them where the profile says they're in New York or California, but the e-mail says they're in Afghanistan or Ghana or someplace.

Awkward or stilted English is often a clue -- I think a lot of them are using the same translator programs. I get e-mails that say things like "I will like to get to know you" and "I am to be liking your structure."

Look for profiles where the picture of the person does not match their own self-description.

I have noticed that the vast majority of my America scammers are claiming to be from New York, and about 95% of those claim to be from Manhattan. So Manhattan is an automatic red flag.

If they ask you questions that have already been answered in your profile, then you can assume this person didn't read the profile. I get these all the time. "I read your profile and I loved it! Where are you and what do you do?"

If you suspect a scammer, report it. We would like to identify them and remove them as quickly as possible.

no photo
Sat 03/17/12 07:29 AM

Congratulations on another successful accomplishment!

Thank you, I'm currently working on three more!

As you know, being alone isnt the worst. You know you are capable of great love, so again, you know you have something to offer. You're not broken.

I don't really feel broken -- I feel a little banged up, a little bruised, but intact, for the most part.

Its possible, youre just not over the ex yet. I hope you dont simply try to duplicate her in order to find love again. Close isnt good enough.

Yeah, that's a bit of a trap. I find myself noticing the ones who remind me of her, in some way. And that's usually not a good thing, because they remind me of her in ways that don't have anything to do with the important stuff.

Not being over her yet doesnt mean theres something wrong with you tho. Theres no rule for that. You sound very healthy. You sound cheerful even.

...and move as soon as you can.

I think it's important to maintain a sense of humor about it. And the writing is a tremendous help there.

But -- the other thing is that the writing doesn't really address the problem; it deflects it.

no photo
Sat 03/17/12 06:12 AM

You've mentioned several times that you moved away from everyone you knew. What about moving back? Just a thought -- not saying it's the best solution. But sometimes we get stuck in boxes and need to have the lid pried off by someone else. I hibernated for a good 15 years myself that way -- would hate to see you do the same. There ARE women out there you could be happy with.

Unfortunately, I just don't have the resources to make it happen right now. If I did, I would have moved (somewhere, anywhere) ages ago.

Asimov is a great model, not just as an author but as a human being.

To be creative, on a level that prolific, amazes me. His focus must have been something to see. I remember watching him on "Jeopardy" years ago, he seemed fairly normal but very very smart!

no photo
Sat 03/17/12 06:08 AM

Maybe looking back at your past work, just brought back old feelings again. It happens. At least you're not denying that the woman was in your life, otherwise that'd be a bad sign. I can relate to what Teadipper said. Me and my first ex, had seen each other go through the college years, and university. Though, when he started university, i started feeling a bit lost without him. We were mentally joined at the hip. It isn't a crime if you go remembering happy times. You should allow it. If i think i need to go off somewhere, to feel refreshed, then i just do it. Only if i really want to. You choose how you live your life. Your state of mind has a lot to do with it. Btw, i'd happily buy your books, as i read your forum posts. You have my support. You have made books. That is a huge achievement in itself. You should be celebrating :)

Agreed, there's nothing inherently wrong with remembering the happy times. It's just the sheer rareness of those times that causes concern.

It seems that I have enough going for me that people continue to be interested -- but only with the proviso that I completely and totally change who I am, so as to fit more comfortably into their idea of what a relationship should be. And I'm just not interested in being the person they want to mold me into. There are millions of those guys out there already, so why not go after them?

To run across one who accepts me for who I am, someone who sees no need to change me, that's the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow (obligatory St. Pat's reference). But I've only ever found one like that -- and what I've seen on the 15,881 dating sites I've tried, doesn't convince me there are any more of them out there....!

no photo
Fri 03/16/12 08:41 PM

You have chosen your niche brother.

It will continue to be what you make it.....

eventually, Lex you will see the common denominator.

I wish I could take you out on the town but....that will have to wait a bit.

No arguments there.

And the common denominator, yeah, that's pretty clear....

But the issue now is whether or not it's worth trying to make any alterations. As much as I'd like to believe there's someone worth it out there, the trend thus far has been to the contrary. I don't know.

no photo
Fri 03/16/12 08:16 PM

i think you need some tough love.
a beating does you good every now and then.

Well, that's what all of my previous relationships were for. Been there, done that.

i notice everyone on here is extra nice to you.

You have obviously missed a few threads! OK, most people are very nice to me, but then there are a few who have been sniping at me for years. Sometimes they try to be a little less obvious about it.

someone who cares about you needs to be mean.

Trust me, that's not gonna be good for anybody.

i'd volunteer,
but i don't know you.
it'd be quite insincere.
someone beat this man up.

I don't know if anyone is going to take you up on that one. Not overtly, anyway.

1 2 7 8 9 11 13 14 15 24 25