Community > Posts By > LexFonteyne

no photo
Sat 01/28/12 12:30 PM
Last time I had one was 2008.

no photo
Thu 01/26/12 08:31 PM

Readin lots of posts on sites from women saying that there no good guy out there that want a real commited relationship. I Say thats just not the case, thoughts?

And then a guy shows up who actually IS looking for a committed relationship, and he is resoundingly ignored.

So it doesn't pay to take any of it too seriously.

no photo
Thu 01/26/12 07:15 PM

What's your preferred age range for dating?

This would be a lot easier if "doesn't have kids" was a number; but when even the 19-year-olds are putting "I'm a single mother of three kids AND THEY ARE MY WORLD!!!!!" in their profiles, there isn't much to work with.

no photo
Thu 01/26/12 01:47 PM

I'm not turned on when a woman plays hard to get. If you want to be with me, be with me, if not, goodbye. I have zero tolerance for games.

Same here. I'm no good at reading "signals" or flirting or whatever else it is they're doing these days. If she wants to play hard to get, somebody else is going to have to get her, I don't have the time or the attention span for that sort of thing.

no photo
Wed 01/25/12 08:38 PM
I'm a reclusive hermit, more because of circumstance than choice.

But the uberextroverts do sometimes get on my nerves; it's as if they're trying too hard....

no photo
Wed 01/25/12 05:22 PM
I get messages every day: "Hi, I read your profile and I loved it! Where are you and what do you do?"

There was a time when I would write them back and say "If you actually read my profile, you would know the answers to those questions," but I gave up when I realized they weren't reading my e-mails either. They'd reply with "Thanks for getting back to me! Where are you and what do you do?"

Lately, I'm getting nothing but "Hi!" and "Hello!" and "How are you?" messages. I don't bother responding to those either. If they can't give me more than three words, I'm not going to waste my time!

no photo
Wed 01/25/12 01:51 PM

Seriously everyone, just keep a clear and open mind that everyone is different. So who cares what others think of you.

It took me a long time to come to that realization, but it's true. Other people are not me, they're not living my life, and it would be stupid to let them have any influence on anything I do. If they don't like the way I look, the way I dress, whatever, that's fine. I never signed a contract saying I had to adhere to someone else's arbitrary policies.

Everyone has different perspectives on other people, but that's what makes life interesting. I mean if everyone looked the same or like the same exact thing then the world would just be a total bore. It seems to me as if most of the people here are insecure but there's no need to be because its a big world filled with many people and at least one person out there will love and accept you for who you are.

That's what I keep telling myself, anyway....

no photo
Wed 01/25/12 05:38 AM

Ok so someone talks to you for a week...........geeze they think that they're in LOVE with you & wanna
Marry you? spock slaphead I can spot FAKE from miles away!!! scared

Yeah, I've had that happen numerous times. It's never anyone I'd actually be interested in.

no photo
Tue 01/24/12 05:45 PM

See, this is what I'm not getting. I guess change could mean anything. To me people don't change they only lie. They're still the same person they grew up being, except moreso; maybe craftier, more confident. I don't know. I guess this is the main problem with the "changing" part of it. People just lie and get so confortable in the lie.

There's good change and there's bad change. I assumed -- based on nothing more than stupidity, naivete, and wishful thinking -- that marriage would stabilize my life and allow me to build a permanent foundation with someone I cared for.

The reality was very different -- a chaotic, destructive, unnecessary mess. I felt like a character in a soap opera for a couple of years. And not even a good soap opera.

no photo
Tue 01/24/12 03:41 PM

I found it suffocating and stifling, extremely uncomfortable and unnecessary. I wouldn't do it again....

Is it any different from being in a long-term relationship? Well, yeah, it's messier and a lot harder to get out of....

Why was it so suffocating, stifling and uncomfortable? Why more so than a long term relationship? Just because it was harder to get out of?

I don't really have the time or the inclination to go into a detailed analysis of it at the moment. Suffice it to say that's how I see it in retrospect, and that's more than enough for me to avoid doing it in the future.

no photo
Tue 01/24/12 03:36 PM
I found it suffocating and stifling, extremely uncomfortable and unnecessary. I wouldn't do it again....

Is it any different from being in a long-term relationship? Well, yeah, it's messier and a lot harder to get out of....

no photo
Tue 01/24/12 11:22 AM
Jesus would like you more if you said you were "laid back and easy going."

no photo
Mon 01/23/12 09:29 PM

I would rather have the platitude that I am responsible for my choices and their consequences, and that I can learn from them, than the platitude that everyone is a liar because I havent found my way in successfully screening potentials.

I'm not saying everyone is a liar. I'm saying everyone who has told me "I don't want to change you" is a liar. Big difference.

I don't know everyone. I do (or did) know everyone who claimed they didn't want to change me.

Re: successfully screening potentials -- I have no frame of reference other than that "I don't want to change you" always turns out to be a lie. Successful screening relies on being able to spot differences, nuances, subtleties, and make distinctions based on them, and then act accordingly. When there are no discernible differences, it is extremely difficult to get a feel for who is being honest and who isn't. Especially when it inevitably turns out they never are!

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think you're seeing the depth of my experience here. This is not something that happened once or twice or five or ten times. This is dozens and dozens of times.

Yes, I may be very bad at choosing partners; but, on the other hand, if that's all that's out there, then my selection abilities are irrelevant. I have yet to see anything that would convince me there are any other kinds out there.

The beginning and end of this post contradict each other. First, you say you're not saying everyone is a liar, just everyone that has said that to you. Then at the end, you say that's all that's out there, which to me says you're saying everyone.

..you missed a word. "IF".

That's a small word, big meaning.

Read it again and emphasize the IF.

He has still been making the assumption that all that's out there are women like those he's already been with, which is of course not true.

No, no, no.

Lex is trying to say, that in his experiences that is all he has encountered so, if that is all you know.. it is not unreasonable to live with the belief that that is all that is out there because no one has been able to disprove his self-created belief.

We know it's not true.
I know it's not true.

However, it is his experienced opinion that led him to that conclusion.

Therefore, the only logical way for you to actually disprove his belief would to literally go and meet him in person and then change his mind by doing the opposite of his belief by not doing what he is already accustomed to and expects to happen.

He is not literally saying 'everyone is this way' because he is also stating he could 'never in his life time meet everyone'.

Thanks, it's nice to know that someone is actually reading what I wrote without trying to twist it into something entirely different....!

shades

no photo
Mon 01/23/12 09:26 PM

Did they really lie about their intentions for the relationship or is it possible that they just changed their mind when they fell for the wonderfulness of you?

Well, that's a nice alternative!

shades

But, in point of fact, I try to be very clear about what I'm looking for, from the very start. I don't want there to be any ambiguities or gray areas -- and when they (initially) agree with me, I think we have some common ground, some common goals, a way to build a sold foundation for a relationship.

But then they always pull the rug out from under me 90 days later.

Some of them have told me, after the fact, that they were sure they could get me to change once I got to know them well enough. I find this sort of deviousness reprehensible.

no photo
Mon 01/23/12 09:22 PM

That's the whole point. But people read what they want to read, regardless of what's actually written. This sort of thing happens sometimes.

And some of us have read what you've written over and over. You tend to say the same thing about women you've been involved with not living up to your expectations. So wording it a little differently in one post isn't going to make a difference.

My "expectations" are that they would be honest with me about what they want out of the relationship.

Is this unreasonable?

no photo
Mon 01/23/12 09:21 PM

I would rather have the platitude that I am responsible for my choices and their consequences, and that I can learn from them, than the platitude that everyone is a liar because I havent found my way in successfully screening potentials.

I'm not saying everyone is a liar. I'm saying everyone who has told me "I don't want to change you" is a liar. Big difference.

I don't know everyone. I do (or did) know everyone who claimed they didn't want to change me.

Re: successfully screening potentials -- I have no frame of reference other than that "I don't want to change you" always turns out to be a lie. Successful screening relies on being able to spot differences, nuances, subtleties, and make distinctions based on them, and then act accordingly. When there are no discernible differences, it is extremely difficult to get a feel for who is being honest and who isn't. Especially when it inevitably turns out they never are!

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think you're seeing the depth of my experience here. This is not something that happened once or twice or five or ten times. This is dozens and dozens of times.

Yes, I may be very bad at choosing partners; but, on the other hand, if that's all that's out there, then my selection abilities are irrelevant. I have yet to see anything that would convince me there are any other kinds out there.

The beginning and end of this post contradict each other. First, you say you're not saying everyone is a liar, just everyone that has said that to you. Then at the end, you say that's all that's out there, which to me says you're saying everyone.

He has still been making the assumption that all that's out there are women like those he's already been with, which is of course not true.

I do make that assumption -- and that's exactly what it is, an assumption -- as that's all I have ever seen.

If 5 people come up to me and vehemently claim that the moon is not actually orbiting the earth, am I supposed to take them seriously just because they're telling me this?

I can accept that "everybody is not like this" might be true. But I have no way of proving it, and history testifies to the contrary. If you're going to ask me to deny all the accumulated evidence of my personal history, I would have to protest.

no photo
Mon 01/23/12 09:17 PM

That's the whole point. But people read what they want to read, regardless of what's actually written. This sort of thing happens sometimes.

no photo
Mon 01/23/12 09:12 PM

OK, let me try this again. I can't say everybody is a liar -- because I don't know everyone. I'm not going to live long enough to meet everyone in the world, so I can't take an all-inclusive survey.

But, I can say that everyone I've been involved with has lied to me about their intentions for the relationship. It's a large enough statistical sampling for me to feel that it's reasonable to assume I will never meet someone who isn't like that. Particularly since I haven't met anyone for several years and there is no reason for me to believe I will be meeting anyone anytime in the future.

So, to sum it up in a way that should circumvent any obtuseness or deliberate attempts at obfuscation, I simply don't KNOW whether or not there's anyone out there who wouldn't lie to me about their intentions for a relationship. My point is that I have no reason to believe there is, and there is no practical way for me to test this assumption. My conclusion is that, even if there are people out there who would not lie to me about this, the odds of my ever meeting them are so minuscule as to be entirely negligible.

no photo
Mon 01/23/12 04:18 PM

no photo
Mon 01/23/12 02:32 PM

While it would be nice to be able to believe there actually WAS something else out there, history tells me I'm just as well off to believe in the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny, who, in their favor, have never tried to change me (yet).

:tongue: I admire the humor in what is a frustrating situation for you.

All I really have to work with here is my own history. My own history tells me certain things are a certain way, that there is no demonstrable deviation. People tell me "Not everybody is like that," but my experience has been that everyone IS like that. Personal history trumps unconfirmed anecdotal accounts and subjective statements of opinion every time. For me, anyway.

Except youre not trina date you. Youre trina find a match, ie someone else. If so many folks are telling you "not everybody is like that" isnt that a possibility.
Like you said, all you have to work with is your OWN history. Whats more compelling, is that you dont know the history of other people, only your own. You cant account for everybody if all you have is your own anecdotal accounts.

But there's a difference. I'm not starting out saying "I agree with your position and I want the same sort of things in life that you want" if it isn't absolutely true.

I don't know the history of other people, true enough; but I'm never going to get to know their histories once it comes out that everything they claimed during the first three months of the relationship was a lie, and an attempt to manipulate me into a false sense of security so they can have an easy go of it later on, when they decide it's time for me to "change"....

Yes, many people say "I'm not like that." You'll notice when I make a post about people who have bad profiles, and I explain why, people will jump in and say "I'm not like that." There's some sort of weird, defensive, knee-jerk reaction thing that seems to compel people to say "I'm not like that" even though no one ever said they were, or even suggested as much. (You'll notice that I never use names or give out any identifiers in my posts on this sort of thing.)

It's just this sort of rapid-fire blanket denial that tends to make me wonder why it's so important that they publicly proclaim "I'm not like that."

Does it even really matter? Do they think I'm going to say, "Oh, look, here are five people who make a completely unverifiable claim that they're not like that, so I must be mistaken"?

What's really happening here is that there are a group of people who are uncomfortable with anything that reaches beyond the warm-n-fuzzy, sweetness-n-light theory of what to write on internet dating sites. These are the ones whose posts are filled with drivel like "It'll happen when you're not looking" or "Looks don't matter, it's what's on the inside that counts." Some of us have moved past that now, and we'd like to deal with other people who are tired of the pointless mainstream blatherings that don't mean anything and don't go anywhere.

Is that too much to ask? There was a time when I would have said "No," but -- let me put it this way, I would love to meet someone who wouldn't try to change me. There have been dozens and dozens who have told me "I would never try to do that" -- but they always do. So "I'm not like that" doesn't carry any weight. It's just words.

1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 25 Next