Community > Posts By > Spidercmb

no photo
Mon 06/25/12 08:04 AM

Lowering carbs works for me too, but be careful with the diet stuff. It's usually worse for you than just having a sugar laden soda once in awhile. And you may want to add some vitamins into your routine as well since your low carb diet may be deficient in some important ones...Vitamin C and B-complex in particular, but also Chromium Picolinate and Fish, Flax and Borage oil capsules may be helpful as well.

The other thing that may help which goes against logical thinking is that the more often you eat, the more weight you will lose! It's much better to have about 5 small meals a day than to eat 2-3 large ones. This keeps your metabolism running at a high rate throughout the day.

Our bodies need fats along with the proteins and some carbs, but the secret is to have a balance of them. We burn simple carbs for energy first. If we don't introduce many of them into our diet, we start burning fat, therefore any fat we take in gets discarded not stored.

Exercise will definitely help too as the pounds will fall off even faster. I too am trying to lighten the load on the scale these days so I took up jogging yesterday.

Good luck in your endeavor! :thumbsup:

Oh, absolutely about the "diet" foods. I quit losing weight last year and lost heart, so I started gaining weight back. I was down by 52 pounds, but packed back on 18 pounds. Now I'm back down to 40 pounds lost and the weight is just dropping off. I now realize that my weight loss stalled due to cheese and diet soda (which can spike your blood sugar!).

I take a multivitamin, Krill Oil, Magnesium Malate and BCAA daily. I also take Betaine HCL and Acidophilius pearls to assist with digestion. I occasionally add in COQ10 and R-ALA just to mix things up and keep my body guessing.

One thing I've recently learned is that the actual calories burned from aerobic exercise is so miniscule, it's not worth it. It's better to simply do resistance training, so that you build muscles and increase your BMR, which amounts to around 60% of your calorie useable for a day. So I got rid of my exercise bike and bought some weights.

no photo
Mon 06/25/12 07:13 AM
I've been on a Low Carb diet for awhile, but I've faltered and eaten too many carbs or had lots of cheese / diet soda. Last Tuesday (6 days ago), I quit eating cheese and diet soda. I've doubled down on not having carbs. In the past 6 days, I have lost 4 pounds. I'm sure some of that is water weight, but it's still a nice amount to lose. My clothes are fitting looser, so I have to assume I've lost more than 4 pounds of fat and actually gained some muscle.

Another change I've noticed is that I can't stay up much past 11:00 PM (I have had a very hard time going to sleep on time in the past) and I'm up and full of energy around 7:30 - 8:00 AM.

For breakfast, I usually have sausage or bacon and fried eggs. Sometimes I will mix things up and have green beans or okra with my breakfast meat. Other days, I'll eat less meat and eggs and throw in a half an avocado.

Tonight, I'm going to start doing resistance training, using the "Slow Burn" method of exercise.

I'll probably update this thread every week or so with my progress.

no photo
Mon 06/25/12 07:02 AM
I'm my own hero, I'm awesome.

no photo
Mon 06/25/12 07:01 AM

John Wayne cause he was one of the greatest American patriots.

Then why didn't he fight in WWII like Jimmy Stewart and so many others did?

John Wayne, World War II and the Draft

no photo
Mon 06/25/12 06:39 AM
If you don't have love, bacon is an acceptable substitute.

no photo
Sun 06/24/12 09:52 AM

How could love be a choice,i feel sad for you if you have never met someone and instantly you both emit an uncontrolable feeling for each other,this may not be love but it is definately not chosen.

That's infatuation. Love is a way of behaving, it's not a feeling. Romantic love includes nurturing the infatuation to keep it alive, because infatuation is typically short lived.

no photo
Sat 06/23/12 09:15 PM
There are a lot of excellent books on the subject of weightloss and why we get fat. Wheat belly is a great starting place. The "Protein Power Life Plan" book also has great information on how the human metabolism works and how to maximize your weightloss.

The most important thing you should know about dieting is that 60 years of "science" has been based on a hypothesis that isn't true. Dietary fat does not make you fat! Insulin is the bodies trigger to start storing fat. Dietary fat does not raise your insulin, it's just calories. Without the insulin trigger telling your body to store calories as fat, the excess calories will be expelled from your body in your breath and urine as ketones.

Eating Cholesterol also doesn't raise your blood cholesterol! Do you know why? Because your liver makes cholesterol to make up for cholesterol that you don't get in your diet. The danger of cholesterol is in the type of cholesterol, not the amount. Pattern A LDL is perfectly fine. Pattern B LDL causes heart disease. Do you know where you get Pattern B LDL from? YOUR LIVER MAKES IT! Your liver makes it when you don't eat enough fat, because the only difference between Pattern A LDL and Pattern B LDL is a triglyceride.

Think about this for a minute: For millions of years, humans primarily lived off of animals we killed or the vegetables, fruits and nuts we could find, but those were all seasonal. Farming is a very recent invention. Our bodies have not adapted to wheat and potatoes and certainly not high fructose corn syrup.

no photo
Sat 06/23/12 01:06 PM
I'm on a diet that allows me to eat as many calories a day as I want and I've lost 40 pounds so far (I had lost 52, but then I fell off the diet for awhile).

Good luck and if it doesn't work out for you, try the Protein Power Life Plan, it works for me.

no photo
Fri 06/22/12 06:16 AM

If you've been able to choose who you fall in love with, then yes, you are right when it comes to what happens for you.

I've never chosen who I've fallen in love with. I don't choose who I am attracted to. I may choose to stay with them or not stay with them, but that's not making the decision as to whether I love them or not.

Have you ever tried to fall in love with someone? If not, how would you know if it's possible or not?

I'm sure it's possible to fall in "love" with someone on accident, but how long does that last? That "love" is the momentary infatuation that you experience when meeting a person, nothing more. Love is choosing to overlook your partners flaws and see only the best in him / her. Love is choosing to forgive and be patient with your lover. Love is...heck, I'll let the Bible do my talking.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

The Bible is describing standards of behaviors for lovers, not some magical feeling that comes over you one day and stays with you for life. Love IS a relationship and it takes WORK.

no photo
Fri 06/22/12 06:11 AM

Is math the only true reality?

Mathematical physicist John Polkinghorne (1998) writes, "Science and theology lie at the opposite ends of a spectrum of rational human inquiry into reality. At the scientific end is the realm of the impersonal experience; at the theological end is the realm of experience of the transpersonal. In between lie the realms of human personal encounter with reality, which are the subjects of disciplines such as aesthetics and ethics. The whole spectrum of enquiry makes up the rich many-stranded texture of human knowledge, surveying the encounter with the multi-leveled reality of the one world of human experience."(p. 128)

Polkinghorne, J. (1998). Science & theology. Minneapolis: SPCK Fortress Press.

So? That doesn't refute the idea that mathematics is a necessary entity. I have to wonder if you even understand the concepts being discussed. Mathematics being a necessary entity has nothing to do with religion. Even if God doesn't exist, mathematics is still a necessary entity. Any discussion of necessary entities will end up including God, maybe that is what is confusing you.

no photo
Thu 06/21/12 09:09 PM

How could math exist without there being someone who can do math?

If there are four coconuts on a beach and no humans are around, are there still four coconuts on the beach? Clearly, yes. Mathematics are not contingent upon humans being around.

On the contrary, mathematics has to be defined in order to know if it is in existence, and what life forms* other than humans can define mathematics?

[*By life forms, I mean life forms that can be scientifically proven to exist.]

That makes no sense, you know that, right?

no photo
Thu 06/21/12 08:18 PM

No, but I think you would find that your definition of love is either unworkable, illogical or supports the idea of love as a choice, without your being aware of it.

Why would you think that? Simply because I don't agree with you?

No, because I believe I am right.

no photo
Thu 06/21/12 08:08 PM

For those of you who believe love is a choice, do you just walk up, pick someone and decide to fall in love with them?

You have to be open to the idea of romantic love with a person to fall in love. You have to invest energy on a daily basis to fuel your feelings for the person. It's easier if you are attracted to the person and have things in common, but any couple can make it work if they are dedicated to it. I work and have worked with people who were in arranged marriages. Their marriages get better every single year, even when they start off rough. They don't believe in divorce and both parties will do anything it takes to make the marriage work, because they feel pressure from their families.

Relationships and marriages fail because one or both parties give up, not because it could never work. If both people wanted the relationship to work and put in the effort, then it would work.

What you seem to be saying is that you can choose to fall in love with anyone if you put the effort into it. I don't agree that can happen. Sure, relationships take work, but I don't think love can be forced.

What is love? Give a definition.

Does your answer change with different definitions?

No, but I think you would find that your definition of love is either unworkable, illogical or supports the idea of love as a choice, without your being aware of it.

no photo
Thu 06/21/12 06:19 PM

How could math exist without there being someone who can do math?

If there are four coconuts on a beach and no humans are around, are there still four coconuts on the beach? Clearly, yes. Mathematics are not contingent upon humans being around.

no photo
Thu 06/21/12 06:14 PM

So, would math be more like God's programming language?

Another interesting idea. It's something that we might never know, but I see no harm in speculation.

God is a rational being, all of His actions are rational. Mathematics are rational, even when we don't understand the equations. It could be that God and mathematics are independently necessary or mathematics could be contingent upon God's existence. The fact that everything God does is rational would mean that mathematics would be the same no matter what universe He created. Maybe we only perceive mathematics as necessary, because mathematics is a purely rational entity and would be created by God the same way regardless of the universe.

If that is true, I guess you could say that mathematics is God's building code.

no photo
Thu 06/21/12 02:33 PM

For those of you who believe love is a choice, do you just walk up, pick someone and decide to fall in love with them?

You have to be open to the idea of romantic love with a person to fall in love. You have to invest energy on a daily basis to fuel your feelings for the person. It's easier if you are attracted to the person and have things in common, but any couple can make it work if they are dedicated to it. I work and have worked with people who were in arranged marriages. Their marriages get better every single year, even when they start off rough. They don't believe in divorce and both parties will do anything it takes to make the marriage work, because they feel pressure from their families.

Relationships and marriages fail because one or both parties give up, not because it could never work. If both people wanted the relationship to work and put in the effort, then it would work.

What you seem to be saying is that you can choose to fall in love with anyone if you put the effort into it. I don't agree that can happen. Sure, relationships take work, but I don't think love can be forced.

What is love? Give a definition.

no photo
Thu 06/21/12 02:10 PM
In philosophy, there are two kinds of entities: Contingent and Necessary. Necessary entities would exist unchanged regardless of the universe, while contingent entities depend upon another entity for it's existence.

Math is most likely a necessary entity.

In a multiverse, there could be an entire universe that was nothing but marshmellows, but math would still exist there, even if there was nobody there to practice it.

God is the only other necessary entity known to mankind.

no photo
Thu 06/21/12 02:06 PM

no photo
Thu 06/21/12 01:43 PM

Love is a choice, not a feeling. That's why we say " I love You" and not " I feel like I love you"....

/agree

:thumbsup:

no photo
Thu 06/21/12 01:30 PM
Edited by Spidercmb on Thu 06/21/12 01:41 PM
...removed...

1 2 3 4 6 8 9 10 24 25