Community > Posts By > Spidercmb

no photo
Thu 07/05/12 04:09 PM

I haven't said anything in an attempt to excuse or justify cheating. It's wrong simple as that. What I have done is try to explain the motivations men have for cheating, their biological drives. That's all.

Yet, you do not acknowledge that there are other theories about the cause of cheating.

Marriage counselor M. Gary Neuman has written a book on the subject of marital cheating. According to Neuman, the #1 reason than married men cheat is emotional disconnection. (Information Source)

Psychologist Brenda Shoshanna writes, "Often infidelity arises because certain needs in a marriage have not been met. Other times it arises as an act of resentment against the partner, or as a desire for freedom and adventure. Sometimes there are issues in the individual or in the relationship which have not been dealt with and which have simply festered. Rather than deal with them directly, the person then escapes the entire situation by getting involved with someone else." (Quote Source)

Psychologist Don-David Lusterman gives the following reasons for cheating:

- Inability to cope with cultural or ethnic differences.
- Disappointment that one partner hasn’t grown in the same ways.
- Unrealistic expectations about marriage.
- Curiosity.
- Lost sense of fun and excitement in the marriage.
- Addiction to physical intimacy.
- Inability to accommodate a partner’s needs, interests or expectations.
- Inability to communicate one’s own interests, needs or desires.
- Boredom with the marriage, work, life, the relationship, or the routine.
- Lack of verbal skills or motivation to solve relationship problems together.

(Information Source)

The mind has multiple layers. The above quotes are about conscious (top layer) reasons for adultery. TexasScoundrel is writing about the subconscious (bottom layer) reasons for adultery. There is a constant subconscious drive to spread your seed, which men find all manner of ways to explain to themselves and others.

Nether line of thinking is technically wrong, but TexasScoundrel is more right than those psychologists you quoted.

In programming terms, those psychologists are describing applications, while TexasScoundrel is describing the OS.

no photo
Thu 07/05/12 11:11 AM
I'm feeling fantastic.

no photo
Thu 07/05/12 11:09 AM

May we discuss the love we have for our children in this thread?

Back on topic, yes, absolutely.

no photo
Thu 07/05/12 09:41 AM

I hear people talking about falling in and out of love. If love were real and it's really what people say it is, then wouldn't it be permanent?

It think people are built to form relationships that last a few years (long enough to raise the kids to an age when they can take care of most of their needs) and then split up and find another partner. This way mixes up the genes more effectively.

So, love may be real, but it doesn't last.

In my experience, love is both real and lasts.

no photo
Thu 07/05/12 09:27 AM

You said earlier words have meanings. I gave you the definition of feeling. Can you show me where it says temporary, meaning any feeling must be temporary?

It's implicit in the definition, just as my examples proved.

no photo
Thu 07/05/12 09:24 AM

May we discuss the love we have for our children in this thread?

Absolutely.

no photo
Thu 07/05/12 09:21 AM

If you touch a hot stove your hand might not be burning the rest of your life ,but the memory of that burn will stay with you.

If you are infatuated with someone, that feeling will fade, but the memory will stay with you.

Thanks for the help, but I think I've made my point fairly clear.

no photo
Thu 07/05/12 09:11 AM

So love is anything you want it to be? Respectfully, words have meanings. If you want to create a thread about how any word can mean anything, feel free. This thread is predicated on the idea that words have meanings and words should be used in the proper context.

Love is a feeling? Honestly? So you have experienced a temporary love? There is a word for that, it's infatuation. We've all experienced that.

I don't see the word temporary in the definition of feeling.

feel·ing
   [fee-ling] Show IPA
noun
the function or the power of perceiving by touch.
physical sensation not connected with sight, hearing, taste, or smell.
a particular sensation of this kind: a feeling of warmth; a feeling of pain.
the general state of consciousness considered independently of particular sensations, thoughts, etc.
a consciousness or vague awareness: a feeling of inferiority.
EXPAND
adjective
sensitive; sentient.
readily affected by emotion; sympathetic: a feeling heart.
indicating or characterized by emotion: a feeling reply to the charge.

So...if you experience a taste or smell, it's permanent? When you touch a hot stove, your hand is burning for the rest of your life? You are going to have to think a bit more deeply if you want to keep up.

no photo
Thu 07/05/12 08:58 AM
Edited by Spidercmb on Thu 07/05/12 09:01 AM
So love is anything you want it to be? Respectfully, words have meanings. If you want to create a thread about how any word can mean anything, feel free. This thread is predicated on the idea that words have meanings and words should be used in the proper context.

Love is a feeling? Honestly? So you have experienced a temporary love? There is a word for that, it's infatuation. We've all experienced that.

no photo
Thu 07/05/12 08:25 AM
Edited by Spidercmb on Thu 07/05/12 08:25 AM

You are so poetical Spidercmb. blushing lol.

I was simply attempting to elucidate my reasoning, any romantic or poetical overtones were unintentional.

But thank you all the same. flowerforyou

no photo
Thu 07/05/12 08:19 AM

First of all, I'm impressed you referenced Maslow.

Why?

That said, I do think that you have to learn how to hate or be angry. They are learned responses to stimuli and/or experience. You aren't born hating.

We aren't born hating, but we are born with the capacity and inclination to hate. Hate is just as natural to the human experience as any other emotion. It's an evolutionary survival tactic and is one of the reasons why we exist today as a species.

You aren't born loving either. When you think of newborns their instinct is what attatches them to their mothers. All of the senses are engaged to create that bond. From there, the love is taught, grown. So in a way, love is a sixth sense.

Our senses (of which we have far more than 5) allow us to sense the world around us. I don't understand how love could be considered a sense.

Yes we all show love differently; and we love various people in our lives differently. But love in itself is a concept that is static.

How so?

no photo
Thu 07/05/12 06:14 AM
Every morning I wake up and weigh myself and I'm the same weight. Then I check my handy dandy body fat monitor and see that a few more 10ths of a percent of my body fat has been turned into muscle. I'm in the weight loss stage called "Reconfiguration", when my body is burning fat and gaining muscle at almost the same rate, so the scale tells me the same weight every morning. Without a body fat monitor, I would be at risk of losing heart and giving up.

no photo
Wed 07/04/12 08:46 PM

My mother and father were married for 60 years, until my mother died. I don't know why or how they stayed together other than force of will. They both decided to commit to each other and stuck to their word.

I also know a few happy couples today. But, it doesn't seem to be working for a lot of us. I've recently come to understand that I'm really happiest on my own. I don't like the chaos that relationships seem to bring.

That's just it...your parents are examples of ethical commitment. They WORKED to make their marriage WORK. People, especially men in my opinion, do not value that standard today.

As for your own personal feelings about relationships, fine...be alone. But you need to be upfront about that when dating other women. Seek out those who are like minded and leave the women who desire long, lasting, faithful relationships alone!

I was going to be offended by that, but then I realized I don't date men. Your generalization could be right. Maybe many men don't want to put the work into a relationship. I honestly don't know. I can say that I'm not that guy. I work my tail off to make a relationship work. If the relationship fails, it won't be for lack of trying on my part.

no photo
Wed 07/04/12 08:42 PM
There has been a lot of discussion about love lately. I feel that my position hasn't been clear, so I'm going to explain where I'm coming from.

Feeling - A temporary experience, which may or may not have an obvious origin.

Emotion - An experience that is deeply rooted in the psyche and exists independent of external stimuli.

Love is not a feeling or an emotion. You don't have to learn how to hate someone or how to be angry or hungry or tired or how to be afraid of spiders. But you have to learn how to love someone and we all do it differently.

Love does have an emotional aspect, but to say that love is an emotion is like saying that Godzilla is a lizard. It's like saying that the Earth is a rock floating in space. It's like saying that a human is a pile of various minerals. While those statements have a grain of truth, they are also so inaccurate as to be shockingly wrong.

Love is so important to human beings, that it's listed only after physiological and safety needs on Maslow's hierarchy of needs. This means that any normal healthy human who has the things he/she needs to live and has shelter from the various dangers of the world, immediately starts to seek out love. Is there any emotion that people seek out? Don't say "happiness", because that's a feeling.

Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't add "Oh baby, don't hurt me, Don't hurt me no more."

no photo
Wed 07/04/12 02:47 PM

I just asked you a specific question about my relationship and what is your thoughts are, in relationship to the theory you keep quoting and you haven't answered...So you won't be repeating yourself.

And where does it say ANYWHERE in the forum rules that if you don't read this in the first few minutes, you are not allowed to ask or comment on anything?????

There are any number of reasons why he has overcome his natural instincts to be with you. You know him well, right? Why do you think he choose you over a younger woman?

I know him very well, Spider and I know why he chose me.

I just wanted to hear from TS why he thought Jon did, because according to what he keeps quoting, Jon should have no interest in me what-so-ever.

I don't believe so. He is talking about basic human instincts. Instincts can be overcome by choosing different behaviors. He is talking about the main motivating factor behind cheating, not generalized behavior which can be applied to all men. While our instincts might try to drive us towards more fertile women, it is our character which causes us to resist.

In the novel "Dune", children were tested with pain, to see how long they could hold their hand in a box. If they held it there long enough, they could be considered human. The idea is simple, a human can control his or her instincts, rather than simply reacting like an animal. It sounds to me like Jon is a human.

no photo
Wed 07/04/12 02:32 PM

I just asked you a specific question about my relationship and what is your thoughts are, in relationship to the theory you keep quoting and you haven't answered...So you won't be repeating yourself.

And where does it say ANYWHERE in the forum rules that if you don't read this in the first few minutes, you are not allowed to ask or comment on anything?????

There are any number of reasons why he has overcome his natural instincts to be with you. You know him well, right? Why do you think he choose you over a younger woman?

no photo
Tue 07/03/12 08:19 PM

So does Magic Johnson have Aids or HIV? I don't think you can live for over 20 years with AIDS and be as healthy as him.

HIV.

Retroviruses only reproduce with any great success from mother to child. HIV is notoriously hard to isolate even in blood, little less semen or saliva. HIV being a retrovirus probably means that Magic Johnson got it from his mother, although there is a slight chance (estimated to be 1 in 500) that he caught it from a sex partner.

I think the estimate is probably high, since it's based on the assumption that HIV is a "new" virus and not just one of the hundreds of retroviruses that live harmlessly within human bodies.

no photo
Tue 07/03/12 08:04 PM

why are there 8 strains then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOzuFsdmSfI

I'm going to assume you are asking me.

HIV is a retro virus. It doesn't kill people, but it's still real.

no photo
Tue 07/03/12 08:03 PM

. . . because HIV is a controlled substance.

noway

rofl

I don't know the correct term, I do know that to conduct research on HIV, you have to have approval from the "National Institutes of Health", which is part of the Department of Health and Human Services.

no photo
Tue 07/03/12 01:32 PM
No, true love does not exist. Love is a choice.

1 3 5 6 7 8 9 24 25