Community > Posts By > Inkracer

Inkracer's photo
Thu 06/03/10 03:09 AM

I've always wondered how someone could be atheist, regardless of other religions. Cause something can not come from nothing, if there is no God where did all the planets come from? Where did anything come from? I've told you once, and i'll tell you again God created everything, no other explanation. And you can take that to the bank.

1. As has already been mentioned, if something cannot come from nothing, then you need to explain where your god came from, and where that came from, and so on, and so on.

2. It's actually pretty simple. Science has evidence of all this different things happening naturally, so I see no need to invoke an invisible, magic sky-daddy for those things that aren't completely understood.

this will answere your post and the previous post. Reason the fact that something can not come from nothing does apply to God. God is the alpha and the omega, beginning and the end. So with God being the begining this rule/law can not apply to him for there wouldn't be any rule/law till God was there if you want to say it that way, cause there was nothing before God.

What you seem to not understand is that IF there is a god, and IF it affects our world, then it has to play by the same rules. So saying if god doesn't need a beginning, or a creator, why does the universe?

Inkracer's photo
Wed 06/02/10 08:23 PM

Read your Bible

I have. That's why I'm an atheist.

Truly! It's the most ignorant story I ever read in my life, IMHO.

Of course, that doesn't lead me to "athesim". Just because the Hebrews were a bunch of male-chauvinistic pigs who claimed to speak for some jealous Zeus-like egotistic godhead, doesn't mean that there can't be a mystical, or spiritual nature, to our existence (which may indeed include some form of a "god" (or possible "gods" in plural). In fact, we may actually be gods like Jesus supposedly said. But then again, I personally believe that Jesus was a Buddhist and was actually speaking from the Eastern Mystic perspective.

In any case, I'm not about to even give the Bible as much credit as you do. You seem to be giving it an "all-or-nothing" status. In other words, either there is a God (in which case it must be the God of the Bible), or if that God isn't real, then there must not be any God whatsoever!

I don't even give the Bible that much clout. We dismissed Zeus as nothing more than mythology, yet we didn't give that myth an "all-or-nothing" status. Most people went on to worshiping the next myth (i.e. the Biblical myth).

I still believe there may be something to Eastern Mysticsm. And I'm not about to allow the Hebrew's story of a jealous egotistical God to negate the possiblity that Easter Mysticism being true. Why give those utterly ignorant Hewbrews that much power over me?

I just dismiss their folklore as nothing more than a reflection of their own egotistical arrogance.

I didn't give it an "all or nothing", but actually reading the bible is a contributing factor in my journey to atheism.
It was the realization that all the major religions are just a bunch of BS. (Plus it's a little hard to believe the "one true god" line when all these religions are fractured into little sub-religions.)
My love of Science also helped me down the road to atheism.
Both factors lead me to where I am now, without a need for any type of religion. Especially those that in one way or another try to control my life.

Inkracer's photo
Wed 06/02/10 08:01 PM

But seriously, ultimately religion is a harmful institution. If not directly evident amongst society (or young boys) than within the mind of the beholder. Opening yourself up to a mentality where you blindly follow an ideal so absurd that you're willing to bend your whole life, family, finances, etc. to it's beck and call. Yes, it's incredibly harmful.

For example, without religion you have child molesters and child rapist going to jail. With religion, you have the Pope sheltering those molesters and rapists so they can avoid jail time, and keep their victim count rising.

Inkracer's photo
Wed 06/02/10 07:59 PM

I've always wondered how someone could be atheist, regardless of other religions. Cause something can not come from nothing, if there is no God where did all the planets come from? Where did anything come from? I've told you once, and i'll tell you again God created everything, no other explanation. And you can take that to the bank.

1. As has already been mentioned, if something cannot come from nothing, then you need to explain where your god came from, and where that came from, and so on, and so on.

2. It's actually pretty simple. Science has evidence of all this different things happening naturally, so I see no need to invoke an invisible, magic sky-daddy for those things that aren't completely understood.

Inkracer's photo
Wed 06/02/10 07:41 PM

Read your Bible

I have. That's why I'm an atheist.

Inkracer's photo
Wed 06/02/10 10:33 AM

without quoting scripture or the bible, ++ I am serious>, ty ted

in my humble opinion, u dnt need anybody to prove that god is exist
u just need to believe from deep down in ur heart that god is exist everywhere, then he would prove to u that he is exist :)
and not everything that exist are able to touch, i think
once again, that's just my humble opinion

Same with Santa Claus right? :smile:

umm i don't think that god wearing a red uniform and fat oww oww
some says god is everywhere and massive, unlimited-some songs say so as well
so i'm assuming that god is every matter sorrounds me

Yet, you have to "just believe" in both..

As one of my favorite de-motivational posters says (paraphrased) "Remember everything you learned of jesus when you learn that Santa isn't real."

Inkracer's photo
Tue 06/01/10 11:47 PM

I have highest regard for God,, which doesnt interfere with my regard for his creation,,,

Id say crime waves go up and down and probably dont have a significant correlation to the presense or absence of religion..

Actually, studies have shown that crime rates, abortion rates, and divorce rates are lower for the non-religious.

what studies, and what is their definition of non religious?

The definition of non-religious being used is someone who is Atheist, Agnostic, or non-religious. (yes, there are people who identify themselves as non-religious)

Unfortunately, Every link I'm finding is to a message board, with the original link long gone..

But the best post one I can find is: (originally posted on Pitzer College's site)
Based on a careful assessment of the most recent survey data available, we find that somewhere between 500,000,000 and 750,000,000 humans currently do not believe in God. Such figures render any suggestion that theism is innate or neurologically based untenable. The nations with the highest degrees of organic atheism (atheism which is not state-enforced through totalitarian regimes but emerges naturally among free societies) include most of the nations of Europe, as well as Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Israel. There also exist high degrees of atheism in Japan, Vietnam, North Korea, and Taiwan. Many former Soviet nations, such as Estonia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, and Belarus also contain significant levels of atheism. Atheism is virtually non-existent in much of the world, however, especially among the most populated nations of Africa, South America, the Middle East, and much of Asia. High levels of organic atheism are strongly correlated with high levels of societal health, such as low homicide rates, low poverty rates, low infant mortality rates, and low illiteracy rates, as well as high levels of educational attainment, per capita income, and gender equality. Most nations characterized by high degrees of individual and societal security have the highest rates of organic atheism, and conversely, nations characterized by low degrees of individual and societal security have the lowest rates of organic atheism. In some societies, particularly Europe, atheism is growing. However, throughout much of the world – particularly nations with high birth rates – atheism is barely discernible.

Inkracer's photo
Tue 06/01/10 11:24 PM

I have highest regard for God,, which doesnt interfere with my regard for his creation,,,

Id say crime waves go up and down and probably dont have a significant correlation to the presense or absence of religion..

Actually, studies have shown that crime rates, abortion rates, and divorce rates are lower for the non-religious.

Inkracer's photo
Tue 06/01/10 10:10 AM

Atheists believe they have souls... they just merge and dissipate back to the greater energy that surrounds us all.

To be an atheist is to only claim either to lack a belief in a god, or to deny a belief in a God... any other spiritual, mystical or divine beliefs are purely individual and not adherent to the masses of atheists. I for one, being an atheist, believe that there is no spiritual world of any sort, and hence that i, and you, have no souls, only consciousness.

That doesn't mean that no other atheist doesn't believe in a soul. There's a sect of buddhism that claim no deities, hence by definition they too are atheists. Same goes for certain groups within Satanist cults.

I too, am an Atheist with no belief in or of anything spiritual or supernatural. I fail to see any need for either.

Inkracer's photo
Tue 05/25/10 12:40 PM

Ok lets clearify a little for you so then you might see the possibility. It's not particularly "blood" sacrifices. It's just sacrificing for God and the rest of the world. Like before Jesus came and people did sacrificing for God, it didn't have to be an animal or anything alive. The sacrifice only was something they enjoyed.

We do it still today in a way. Following God meens we won't be killing someone when they make us horribly mad at them *sacrificing our feelings to not harm anyone else*, or steal something when we need it but can't afford it *sacrificing having that object and just do without for the time being. Again it does NOT have to be a blood sacrifice.

*I think it's extremely unethical for a god to ask the objects of his creation to judge each other and stone "sinners" to death. Yet this book demands that our created did indeed instruct people to do this very thing*

And this no longer applys to us. That is why we now have a judgement day, people will be judged now by Jesus christ and punishment won't be just getting stoned.

I really feel sorry for you, as it's clear that without this security blanket of religion, you wouldn't be a very good person. Abra and myself have both brought up that we don't need your god (or a god) to be good, moral people.

Inkracer's photo
Tue 05/25/10 12:09 PM

If you do not believe in our great God told to us in the holy bible then you are still in fact an atheist. Cause as a fact atheist people are ones that do not believe in a God, and if you don't believe in the God in the holy bible then you are in fact an atheist.

And there is no difference between premaritial sex to robbing someone. A sin is a sin no matter how you turn it. Murder, stealing, and all that stuff are all sins and worth equal punishment, lake of fire.

Too bad you weren't around during the Crusades, you would have made a great general!

The kind of religious prejudice that you're spewing here is actually solid legal grounds for having Christianity banned under the "Hate Crime" laws.

Alot of the tactics done in the crusades were extremely evil, and so therefor blasephemy. Again killing is a sin, and the crusades used this tactic alot. That was an evil act and should not have been done this way. So no i would not have made a great general in those particular cases atleast, cause i would not have gone to such. As they say, you can bring a horse to water, but you can't force it to drink, same with bringing people to God. You can bring God to them, but you can't force them to believe.

And, yet your god is the one most guilty of it..
According to the Bible, God has killed 2,391,421 people. That isn't counting the number of times he slaughtered people and no number was given.

I'm Atheist because I've above worshiping a bloodthirsty hypocrite.

Inkracer's photo
Tue 05/25/10 11:51 AM

If you do not believe in our great God told to us in the holy bible then you are still in fact an atheist. Cause as a fact atheist people are ones that do not believe in a God, and if you don't believe in the God in the holy bible then you are in fact an atheist.

And there is no difference between premaritial sex to robbing someone. A sin is a sin no matter how you turn it. Murder, stealing, and all that stuff are all sins and worth equal punishment, lake of fire.

Too bad you weren't around during the Crusades, you would have made a great general!

The kind of religious prejudice that you're spewing here is actually solid legal grounds for having Christianity banned under the "Hate Crime" laws.

It also goes to show that there is little, if any, difference between the fundamentalists and extremists of the religions..

Inkracer's photo
Tue 05/25/10 10:33 AM

God speaks to us all, that is why some people have a better conscence then others. Our conscence is God speaking to us. He's that guilty little feeling inside of you when you're doing something wrong, or thinking of doing something you shouldn't.

Well, that's good to know then because that means that if you have no guilt feelings about something then it must be ok with God.

In other words, I have no guilt feelings about having premarital sex, therefore it must be ok with God, otherwise I would have guilt feelings associated with it. drinker

So this is just further proof to me that the book written by the Hewbrews that we have come to call the Bible, in fact, does not contain God's desires for me personally because clearly my conscience is not in harmony with the opinions of the men who wrote that book. bigsmile

That is because you clearly don't believe in God. Closer we get to God, more he is inside of us, stronger our spirit is. So of course an atheist won't have any conscence bout anything. So you're just saying you're a lost mongrol who does not mind hurting people and wouldn't think twice bout robbing your neighbor. What a great thing to say bout yourself expecially on a dating site.

I'd be willing to wager, that as an atheist, I am more moral than a lot of the religious people. I don't kill people over who has the more peaceful imaginary friend. I don't steal, because stealing is a dick move. I don't kill people because I enjoy life. I also don't deny people rights that I enjoy simply because a book of fables tells me to.

Inkracer's photo
Sun 05/16/10 06:44 PM

I would much rather see the energy that went into this case being used to keep zealotry and religious fundamentalism in check. _THERE_ is where the real danger lies.

-Kerry O.

I agree, luckily both times (that I'm aware of) that Creationism has tried to legally strong arm it's way into the Science classroom it has failed.

But, there are many, many more important battles ahead..

Inkracer's photo
Sun 05/16/10 03:59 PM

"Now, whether you like it or not the "conditions" given to marriage are from religion. Again, there is obviously an evolutionary benefit to homosexuality since it occurs in nature."

wow,,thats some PROOF,,,,there is also an evolutionary benefit to infanticide, incest, and cannibalism as well if all that is required is that it occurs in nature,,,,,shall we EVOLVE to the point of cavalierly dismissing or supporting those things for Humans as well?

As I've said here before, there was a time where everything you mentioned was ok.. King wanted a son, got a daughter, a number of times, the child was killed. We have already evolved PAST the time when those were considered ok.

Of course, I would have expected you to jump right over the main point I was making there. HOMOSEXUALS ARE PEOPLE TOO AND AS SUCH SHOULD BE GRANTED THE EXACT SAME RIGHTS AS YOU AND I. I hope that isn't too subtle.

"The words that your replaced were the subject, which does change everything quite a bit. "

really? and can you explain why ?....more astounding PROOF

Please tell me you really don't understand how changing the subject changes everything.

I'm still waiting for that non-religious reason, how about you try to do something different, and think of one on your own?

Inkracer's photo
Sun 05/16/10 12:21 PM

1.Because the reason you gave IS listed in the Bible. I even gave you the EXACT place you can find it in the bible.

A. REALLY?!! because all I did was LITERALLY COPY your answer and replace three or four words,,,was your answer in the bible ? because you really didnt give me the chapter and verse if so...

The words that your replaced were the subject, which does change everything quite a bit. Like I said, earlier, I even gave you the exact place in the bible where it is listed.. It's very telling that you don't know the book you claim to live by.

2. Because we don't get our morals from religion. I've listed a number of things that the bible tell us is good and moral, you have chosen to ignore each of those example.

A. I dont get my Morals from religion either, I already had morals instilled in me before my RELIGION reinforced them. You have posted things that were in the bible,,but possibly because you are a non believe,,,,you take it all as COMMANDMENTS from God. I have not ignored them, I have just read them in a different context than you did (as biblical history of mans laws and habits in biblical times) and I have referred instead to the direct COMMANDMENTS from God.

Well, we agree that morals to not come from religion, but religion time and time again claims that they have the moral high ground, and time and time again that is proven to be false.
Again with the Commandments, seems silly, to me, for a supposedly supreme being to have a list of 10 things we can't do, where only 2 of them are actual laws, and most are just re-wordings of other commandments.

3.If they are helping the homeless because of a fairy, or because of the threat of hell, it really isn't good.

A. Really?!! I am sure you would feel quite differently if you were one of those homeless being helped.

Doing something out of fear is not the same as doing something because you feel like it.

4.Doing something out of fear of punishment is coercion. As I've said before there are many examples of religious people, who are considered good, doing really evil things, and for that to happen it takes religion.

A. Another intellectually dishonest assertion. First, because many times people(both religious and non) make decisions from their heart because it is what feels right to their consciense. Second, because many times people(both religious and non) make decisions because somewhere along the line they learned of negative CONSEQUENCES (either natural or man made) to doing otherwise. If I study hard because I WANT to go to Harvard and I dont want to have to go to community college,,,that is a preference and not coercion. If I choose to follow Gods word because I want to be with my Father in heaven and I dont want to be left behind,,, that is also a preference.

It is not intellectually dishonest. "Do this, or be cast into the fire of hell forever" IS Coercion. Not only is it coercion, it's manipulation. All you need is the threat of danger, whether that danger is real, or imaginary, to get people to do what you want.

I do tire of the non believers insistence on knowing what motivates believers in their actions. I dont do good things because Im scared of punishment anymore than a non religious person does,, I do them because I learned from MANY sources that they were good things(only one of those sources being biblical)

The problem is that MANY believers have mentioned that the only reason they are good is because of the threat of hell.

5. So, if a person's beliefs should be kept to themselves, why ban gay marriage based solely on religious grounds? That is forcing your beliefs on others, is it not?

A. Quite the opposite,, marriage is not a right but a privilege. And laws and privileges always come with CONDITIONS. In marriage, the conditions decided upon were that people not be siblings,, that they be a certain age, and that they be not the same gender. I have still to be supplied the non religious reasons it was decided that siblings cant marry,,,,,,,other than the cultural belief about how the children turn out ,,,,,,read a little about incest and you will be surprised to learn how rarely those things actually happen amongst siblings who fall in love,,,,but I still wouldnt support that type of marriage either,,,,if the law mandated one or the other get 'fixed', I wouldnt support that marriage, and if the argument is how the children will turn out after GENERATIONS of incest,, the same can be made about how they turn out after GENERATIONS of homosexuality(oh wait, its impossible for the generation to continue after a homosexual relationship,,,isnt it?

Last time I checked, Homosexuals are people, just like you and me. Therefore they should be granted the SAME rights that you and me enjoy. Now, whether you like it or not the "conditions" given to marriage are from religion. Again, there is obviously an evolutionary benefit to homosexuality since it occurs in nature.

Inkracer's photo
Sun 05/16/10 05:11 AM
Edited by Inkracer on Sun 05/16/10 05:11 AM

ASSUMPTION:
Well than congrats. Because I have, a number of your "brothers and sisters in christ" would kill me, without second thought, if it wasn't in the 10 commandments that "thou shall not kill" (really, are you a mind reader?)

It does not take the ability to read minds when people actually SAY these things to someone.. So Nice assumption that I made an assumption. You are wrong.

LEAP OF LOGIC:
Ultimately, since Homosexuality occurs in nature....( if this is in response to the logic of it being accepted,,,incest occurs in nature as well as cannibalism and quite obviously there are no biological age mandates in nature as animals base their instincts upon scent and when a female is old enough to have heat,, she is old enough to mount,,,,so your point is kind of lacking in consistency actually)

There was a time in human history when incest was accepted (many families in Ancient Rome "kept it in the family" because they started viewing everyone else as unclean.

Science tells us that within a few generations, of incest the child is going to have a whole list of problems, and survival will be difficult.

the question was asked to give a non religous reason against homosexuality,,,and I asked in return to give a non religious reason against incest or 'pedophilia' ,,I only used YOUR reason and replaced the so called offenses with the so called offense of homosexuality , so if your answer was non religious , why wasnt mine?

Because the reason you gave IS listed in the Bible. I even gave you the EXACT place you can find it in the bible.
Honestly, I fail to see how it's a leap of logic on my part, when you are the one denying rights to an entire group of people, because of what bronze age goat herders.
the dark ages is ONE brief period within the existence of mankind and that is the best example one can come up with while trying to discredit ALL of religion?

as I have said before, people of faith number in the BILLIONS and if even five percent of them were any less moral than those of no faith,, Id love to see it proven,,,,

Because we don't get our morals from religion. I've listed a number of things that the bible tell us is good and moral, you have chosen to ignore each of those example.

[qoute]'good' and 'bad' people have and always will be around, its human nature if someone helps the homeless because they think a fairy will visit them or because they think they will become homeless if they dont or because they have been homeless before,,I really wouldnt care so long as they were helping

If they are helping the homeless because of a fairy, or because of the threat of hell, it really isn't good. Doing something out of fear of punishment is coercion. As I've said before there are many examples of religious people, who are considered good, doing really evil things, and for that to happen it takes religion.

Is it anymore condescending for a non believer to tell a believer they need to be ENLIGHTENED than it is for a believer to?

Please, provide the quote.

IN the end, a persons soul and their beliefs about it are their business and do not aversely affect anyone. Not until people ACT do their actions get counted and then they should be counted towards the character of THOSE people and not Everyone who holds similar beliefs...

So, if a person's beliefs should be kept to themselves, why ban gay marriage based solely on religious grounds? That is forcing your beliefs on others, is it not?

Inkracer's photo
Sat 05/15/10 09:29 PM
Edited by Inkracer on Sat 05/15/10 09:31 PM
there is so much misinformation here it isnt funny,,,

Because Human Morals have evolved to a point where we don't view incest or possible Adult relationships with minors as a good thing. Not to mention how incest ****s up future generations...

how about we replace incest and adult relationships with homosexuality,, it is no less or more a valid 'non religious' argument

So, you're "Non-religious" argument against gay marriage/homosexuality is that it is immoral...

Well congrats..you just gave me the Christian/biblical reasoning for not allowing it. Way to read the bible.. It's 1 Corinthians6:9;10, in case you were wondering.

so here is the statement as applied non religiously to homosexuality
"Because Human Morals have evolved to a point where we don't view homosexual relationships as a good thing. Not to mention how homosexual relationships ****s up or END future generations... "

Theists with Bronze age beliefs haven't evolved to allow people to live without forcing their beliefs on others.
Humanists like myself have evolved to the point where we don't need a book to tell us what is good or bad, and to be able to grant everybody an equal set of rights.

Ultimately, since Homosexuality occurs in nature, your attempted point fails. There is some evolutionary benefit to homosexuality, since it does occur in nature.

I have not nor have fellow christians I know ever said they 'only' did good things to stop from going to hell

before I ever read a bible or went to a church, I knew right from wrong,, my parents taught me,, I avoided wrong because I wanted to be a 'good' person ,,not because of the Bible,, but the Bible reinforced what my conscious and my parents already taught me about right and wrong..

Well than congrats. Because I have, a number of your "brothers and sisters in christ" would kill me, without second thought, if it wasn't in the 10 commandments that "thou shall not kill" Luckily for me they haven't got to the part about killing the heathen yet.

the bible doesnt define pi , as pi wasnt created during that period

1 Kings 7:23 (KJV) And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.

Math tells us that Pi is the ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle. 1 Kings 23 gives us the equation 30/10, which equals 3. So, again, why to know your bible.

God killing is not the same as human killing, but that discussion is best left between believers who understand the different authority and responsibility of God to human beings ,, the comparison is like comparing cold blooded murder to war or self defense

So, God is Richard Nixon, and I can't understand because I chose rationality of bronze age myths?
So, would you say that a tyrant locking away murders while killing thousands of his own people is a bad thing? I do, all it does is make the tyrant a hypocrite, and hypocrites don't deserve any form of worship.

if you want to take ALL the people who have religion and discard ALL the good things they do to focus on the exceptions who do bad,,lets do that with all topics,, lets do it with discipline(people abuse it to hurt others),,,,lets do it with american history(figures are portrayed as heroes although they participated in killing and robbing from others), as a matter of fact, think about it this way,,,,if you were a teacher with BILLIONS of students and a million didnt get the point,, would you accept having your teachings BANNED?

We used to have something like that.. It was called the Dark Ages... Thankfully for us, Science overcame it.

the standards and reasons people continue to give to ban religion just dont hold water when applied equally to all the other 'beliefs' and 'values' held in the world

Take a closer look. It is Religion's cup that is empty. Science got us to the moon. Religion flew planes into buildings.

Inkracer's photo
Sat 05/15/10 07:54 PM
Edited by Inkracer on Sat 05/15/10 07:57 PM
beliefs arent all founded in religion, and people DO kill because others dont believe as they do,,,whether religion is involved or not

Yeah, it's called a Holy War
Really? I'm still waiting for that Republican to kill the Democrat for being a democrat.

the morality in the bible,, the TEN COMMANDMENTS specifically tells me NOT TO KILL,,,although there are examples given of people not following that commandment

Yet, God himself goes on to kill (literally) countless people. Real loving guy, that hypocrite.
10 Commandments, 2 are actual laws(the not killing, the not stealing) No mention of rape, which I would say is pretty bad. There are a number of laws, that are in place for good reasons, that have no mention in the buy bull, or any other holy book.

give me a non religious argument against incest,, or against a twenty year old with an 15 year old? ...(other than the law)

Because Human Morals have evolved to a point where we don't view incest or possible Adult relationships with minors as a good thing. Not to mention how incest ****s up future generations...

By the way, that non-religious argument against gay marriage? Still waiting for it.

cultural values separate on the same scale as religious ones

Really? So selling your daughter to slavery is a good thing, because it's in the bible? Offering your daughter for rape is good? Killing her as a sacrifice is good?

for good people to do evil things does not take religion,,thats quite an inane leap of logic to even suggest

Not really. The 9/11 hijackers viewed themselves as good people, killing innocent people seems pretty evil to me. Priests view themselves as good people.. yet they **** little kids, again, not really in my view of good.

the people who give a pedestal to religion are those who are religious,,just as those who give a pedestal to patriotism are patriots,,,,,,or those who give a pedestal to class are classist

I don't care about who gives it the pedestal, it still is undeserved. Religion preaches ignorance, and segregation, as well as not being true to oneself. I fail to see anything deserving in that.

people who arent religious certainly have on these threads held themself up on some intellectual pedestal because of it,,,,,,this is a statement of logic that is not exclusive to religion,

You trust the buy bull, I'll continue to trust the people in lab coats who don't make me get up early on Sunday (or whatever your chosen "holy" day is) and apologize for being human.

if one doesnt believe,, thats fine,, it doesnt make them better than one who does,, nor vice versa

Yes it does. Especially, when those believers admit that the only thing stopping them from doing evil things is the threat of hell..
I can be good for the sake of being good..

the indisputable truth is that there is no verifiable proof that religion is anymore the root of immorality than there is that atheism or agnosticism are,,,

There are a number of things wrong in this section. First Religion itself is immoral, studies have been done, when the stories are taken out of the bible as is, people call them moral, when they change the names and "update" them, people call the actions of the "good" guys immoral. That is a pretty big blow.
Second, Agnostic is an adjective, and not a stance.. "Atheism"= Without (a) Belief(theism) Agnosticism= Without (a) Knowledge (gnosticism) One can be an Agnostic Theism (an unknowing believer), a Gnostic Theist(Knowing Believer), an Agnostic Atheist (Unknowing disbeliever), and a Gnostic Atheist(Knowing Believer)

science has not disproven religion anymore than religion disproves science,, they are different theories with different standard

Let see, just off the top of my head there is: the Flat Earth (Kuran, iirc) Geocentric solar system, Pi(the bible, in a round about way states that Pi=3)Evolution, the Age of the Earth...

Inkracer's photo
Sat 05/15/10 06:37 PM

your views are, naturally, very subjective to your standards,,

('dont do enough', 'not on the same scale', 'believe in fairy tales')

I submit, that my opinion , is that people with and without religion probahly dont do ENOUGH to make the world better, that people who are greedy and selfish and powerful protect their own when their own is based in religion on the SAME scale that they protect their own when their own is based in income, or race, or status, or gender,,,etc,,,

Yet, the easiest way to draw a line, or even kill people is to kill people who don't believe as you do.. All the "holy" books have at least once passage instructing the death of non-believers.

Of course, if you actually look at the ACTUAL morality found in the holy books you will find a morality much different from today.. it changes over time, and like everything else in Christianity, it stole it from something else and "made" it it's own.

that a story passed on from tax accountants, interpreters, and even shepherders is no less reliable than stories passed on by those in power to stay in power

All the more reason to not believe something that is only in a book.

and to suggest that a distaste of homosexual relationships is a monopoly held by the religious is just as intellectually dishonest

Ok then, give me a NON-religious argument against Gay Marriage, I won't hold my breath.

it seems as if you are reading with a strictly antagonist approach,, but it matters not if someone does good because they believe in a fairy or because they believe in nothing but good,,,people of all beliefs have those amongst them who will be hateful and hurtful and those who will be helpful,,,,religion is just the easy scapegoat,,,,for those who choose not to believe in it ,,,

To quote Steven Weinberg, "With or without religion, you have good people doing good things, and evil people doing evil things, but for good people to do evil things, that takes takes religion."

proposing religion be banned because those with religion are somehow less moral is just as bigoted as me trying to propose that religion be mandated because the non religious hold no moral base(and just as untrue)

My problem with religion is that it is given a pedestal that it does not deserve. It cannot be questioned, like a play or a call in a sporting event.. It should be. It teaches people to be ignorant. It claims to have the moral high ground, where outside of Chicago Politics, nothing is more corrupt.. It is the last socially acceptable segregation. It is arrogant, claiming to have the answers that Science doesn't, even after Science (and Mathematics) have proven it to be wrong time and time again.

1 2 3 4 5 7 9 10 11 24 25