Community > Posts By > Inkracer

Inkracer's photo
Sat 05/15/10 05:09 PM

religions absolutely needs to be discarded.

With religion you get pedophiles who are shielded from prosecution, Fables almost forced into Science classes, people denied rights because of those fables, and planes flown into buildings..

If one believes that any day now the rapture is going to happen, what reason is there to make the world a better place?

because, not EVERYONE with religion believes those things and even some of those WITHOUT religion do,,,,

And yet, those who do believe don't do enough to stop it, and will even defend the extremists.

criminals are shielded everyday because of family ties and politics(with or without religion)

Not on the scale of the Catholic church..

Science classes stick to what is scientific( not fables)

Yes, because the Creationist have gone to court twice to try to force their way into the Science classroom, and (thankfully) have lost both times.

People are denied rights because of CULTURAL values(with or without religion) everyday as well

Really? I'd love to hear a CULTURAL reason for a ban on gay marriage

I believe the rapture could come anyday and I also believe it is important to do good everyday, because its the right thing, and because the Good book instructs it of us

The "good" book that also instructs you to kill anyone who works on the sabbath? The same one that carries instructions on selling your daughter into sex slavery? The same good book that tells you to kill anyone who denies the holy spirit?

I am no different than my atheist friends in how I live and treat others, I just believe something different about my purpose and my mortality,,,

No different, except for believing in fairy tales that some goat herders threw together after ripping off other, earlier goat herders.

Inkracer's photo
Sat 05/15/10 04:35 PM

myth: believing in God or being christian means one doesnt believe in self accountability or responsibility

religion does not need to be discarded but people do need to see each other more equally , REGARDLESS of what each choose to believe,,, actions and words speak louder than 'beliefs'

religions absolutely needs to be discarded.

With religion you get pedophiles who are shielded from prosecution, Fables almost forced into Science classes, people denied rights because of those fables, and planes flown into buildings..

If one believes that any day now the rapture is going to happen, what reason is there to make the world a better place?

Inkracer's photo
Sat 05/15/10 02:28 PM

But I liked the Flyers, until yesterday that is! I like 'em a little less now, but hockey's hockey so I'll continue watching, just not with as much zest from here on out.ohwell

Well, I don't think you should like the Flyers less than you already did..
I say 99 times out of 100 (at least) you put a team in both of the Flyers positions.. (Down 3-0 in a series, down 3-0 in a game) that team is not going to win..
The Bruins just done gave up..

There's always next year for ya! drinker

Inkracer's photo
Sat 05/15/10 01:13 PM
My picks are
The Hawks in 6
Flyers in 6

The Stanley Cup Finals:
Flyers upset the Hawks, in 6.

And, as far as losing to the eventual Champions, it only hurts less if you aren't #2.

Inkracer's photo
Sat 05/15/10 01:10 PM
I wonder if the Amber Lamps ever got there..laugh

Inkracer's photo
Sat 05/15/10 01:03 PM
(Following someone's advice.. tongue2 )

I can live with "Under God" on the money, just as long as they keep their beliefs out of the science books, and the law books..

I think it's a safe bet that as long as this trend of Athiest/Non-religious is on the raise, there will be a point when it's asked why "under god" was put there in the first place..

I think it would be harder to get Creationism out of school, and Anti-abortion and Anti-gay rights laws out off the books than to get 'under god' off our money once everyone comes to their senses.

Inkracer's photo
Sat 05/15/10 12:48 PM
Having a discussion on another message board, and I'm curious to see what people here think..

Backstory: Person A (Atheist) has a Catholic Mother, who routinely passes along Prayer Alerts on Facebook. These Prayer Alerts typically start out with "If you have a soul..."

My question is how do you interpret "If you have a soul" ? Sympathetic plea to moderately religious friends or a backhanded swipe at Person A?

IMO, it comes of looking like a swipe/bait tactic, since it's a Prayer Alert, it's already aimed at the religious people, so adding that line is unnecessary.

Inkracer's photo
Sat 05/15/10 08:33 AM
Who would of guessed, back at the season's end, that the Flyers, who had to go to a shootout to MAKE the playoffs, that the Flyers would have home ice advantage in the Conference Finals?

Go Flyers!drinker

Inkracer's photo
Fri 05/14/10 09:33 PM

I guess my little joke killed the discussion, huh?

Sorry 'bout that. flowers oops

Oh, no no no. Everybody's comments here made me laugh, or smile, or both; I just haven't been moved to respond. I guess we just aren't very chatty here in the atheist forum, threads die easily. You didn't kill it.

Well, on the many forums I'm on, I do seem to have a knack for killing threads..
laugh

Almost like a certain Austrian artist...noway

Inkracer's photo
Fri 05/14/10 11:49 AM
I guess my little joke killed the discussion, huh?

Sorry 'bout that. flowers oops

Inkracer's photo
Fri 05/14/10 11:44 AM

I'm a god-less heathen

I prefer the term heretic myself. laugh

I prefer Rational Humanist..

but as one of my Facebook Bumper Stickers says-
"I have come to the conclusion I'm going to Hell in multiple religions"

:laughing:

Inkracer's photo
Fri 05/14/10 11:39 AM

an inability to understand a plan does not automatically make the plan one of ineptitude

But what can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

Inkracer's photo
Thu 05/06/10 07:28 PM

I've actually had this argument thrown at me once:

"Science is bad. If God wanted us to be all sciency, he'd have put it in the Bible."

You can't fight that on a personal level. Trust me, I've tried.

I think some have got the actuality of reality so screwed up in their on heads, they think of us as cultists whenever we discuss anything that seems like we're "talking science".

And you are right. How many ways can one say religion, on the whole, is b.s.? What we need are irrefutable arguments....hmm...nevermind. We have those....sigh...

I guess I've taken a Dr. Strangelovian attitude towards the whole enchilada. When you think of it that way, it all becomes a dark comedy for those that get it.

Having accomplished _that_, you can enjoy the absurdity without getting caught up in it. Sort of like the famous line from that selfsame movie (Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb) uttered by one of the characters Peter Sellers played in it:

"Gentlemen!! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!!".

-Kerry O.

Madness! I tell ya, it's madness!! I've often thought madness would be a good vacation....
Seriously though, I just can't stand stupidity and bloody ignorance of really basic facts. Not to mention the complete bloody illogical reasoning of some people. It just drives me crazy. CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY! EEEERRRRKK! wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

BTW, I know exactly what you mean. I've often thought I should take a more "zen" LIKE approach to things. But rampant stupidity and ignorance is to me like fingernails on a blackboard is to some people. Sometimes I just want to grab and shake their heads and scream "STOP BEING SO DAMN STUPID! READ MORE BOOKS! OR PROMISE NOT TO BREED! PICK ONE! NOW!"

i gotta get my meds adjusted....crap, I just remembered, I'm not on any meds...ok, I gotta go get some meds....

Madness?

Madness?

THIS
IS

SPARTAAAAAAA!!!!

Ok, back to the discussion now..laugh

Inkracer's photo
Thu 04/22/10 08:46 PM
The last team to punch a ticket to the Stanley Cup Playoffs is the first to punch their ticket to round 2. GO FLYERS!!

Inkracer's photo
Fri 11/06/09 01:58 PM
That being said, there is something wrong with a sport that has no salary cap, whose highest payroll wins a championship.

MLB needs to get in line with the NBA, NHL, and NFL. Hell, the MLS probably has a salary cap (not that anyone cares).

First off, the MLB has actually had more diversity of champions than any of the Capped leagues.. (and yes, the MLS has a cap, which is hurting it in the world of soccer.)

NFL- 7 Winners past 10 Seasons(14 different teams played)2 teams account for 5 Super Bowl victories..
NHL- 7 Winners (Out of 10 teams to play)- 2 teams win multiple, 1 season lost
NBA- 3 Winners (Out of 12 team)2 teams account for 9 champs.
MLS- 6 Winners (Out of 9 Teams)3 teams win multiple champs. * Same time period, but 1 Champ. short, the playoffs are happening now.

MLB- 8 Winners (Out of 14 teams)- 2 teams win multiple champs. in the time frame

Doesn't help your argument when the uncapped sport has had the most different winners, and the best the other sports can do is tie for # of teams to play in the championship.

Inkracer's photo
Wed 08/12/09 10:52 PM

And this "overwhelming evidence" you speak of. Please name just ONE thing for me that is not a subjective conclusion completely devoid of empirical evidence.

This has been done MANY times, in COUNTLESS threads, each time it is presented to you, you come up with a new reason why you can't look at it.

So please, tell us how this time will be any different..

Inkracer's photo
Tue 08/04/09 04:42 PM
Religion is the greatest Hate crime perpetrated by one man upon another..

Inkracer's photo
Mon 08/03/09 10:30 PM

I thought enlightenment was what you got after a really good BM?

Like, as Ron White says, one of those ones where you pants fit better afterwards?

Inkracer's photo
Wed 07/29/09 01:10 PM

If poker is ever concerned a sport then could Dungeons & Dragons be a sport?

Not until it signs a TV deal with ESPN.laugh

Inkracer's photo
Fri 07/24/09 08:06 AM

Golf?

I would ask if you have ever played, if you haven't then play a round, you will have an appreciation for it after you play a round.

Table tennis?

Have you watched how it is played in the Olympics? Sure I'll give you that at home it's a game and not a sport, but with how those guys play it at the Olympics, it is a sport.

Billiards?

There is a skill set, especially in the trick shots, but I'll give you this on.
POKER?!?

I'll give you this one too

Boccie?

This one too

Curling?

Since it involves a big f-ing rock, brooms, and being on ice in shoes, I'd say it is a sport.
Racing? (Note, Not foot or cycle, I mean any MOTORIZED racing)

Considering the G-forces they have to deal with, and the physical shape you have to be in, it is very much a sport.

And secondly Would professional "Wrestlers" be considered athletes even though they state that they are not in a sport but in the entertainment business?

While the outcomes are scripted, it still takes a lot of training to do what they do, so I do think that they deserve the Athlete tag..

1 2 3 4 5 6 8 10 11 12 24 25