Community > Posts By > biglife

no photo
Fri 06/25/10 07:33 PM
I love living in the skin I'm in.

no photo
Fri 06/25/10 09:43 AM
Good morning all. Glad to see that things are still status quo on this thread. Took a break for awhile. How is everyone?

no photo
Fri 06/25/10 09:40 AM
Big difference between actually living and just existing.

no photo
Fri 06/11/10 08:43 PM
Little to no eye contact during conversation.

no photo
Fri 06/11/10 03:25 PM

Blame Canada, I mean, they're Canadian and stuff.

You can't blame an individual for government policies, in any country.

Yeah you can, it's easy. Like this: "Canadians, I blame you for your government."

See how easy it is?

Okay then, it's all our fault.

no photo
Fri 06/11/10 03:00 PM

I wouldn't allow any undesirables into my home either. If you want to be welcomed into my home, conduct yourself accordingly. Same applies to ppl wanting admittance to a country.

What????shocked

So, it's good enough for the US but Canada wants no part of it.laugh laugh laugh

You don't want 20 million Illegals up there?shocked

They are just lookin' to make a living and live the Canadian dream.

They won't be a drain on the economy or Medical Clinics there.

They won't be so low as to be working and collecting welfare at the same time.

They won't put a strain on your school systems.

Nor, will ya'll have to have schools teach English/French as a second/third language.

They will respect all your customs and not demand Spanish history be taught to ya'lls kids.

They surely won't disrespect your flag or demand the right to fly theirs when and where they wish.

Don't allow Canada to be so hateful towards the Illegals!tears tears laugh laugh

They won't demand citizenship.

They won't demand ya'll provide communication in Spanish, instead of them learning English or French.

They won't demand your Gov. make everything available to them in Spanish.

Go ahead and welcome them, please. I promise, they won't bring drugs or more gangs there.

And they will do all the jobs lazy Canadians won't do.
rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Touchee, on all points.

no photo
Fri 06/11/10 02:33 PM
Don't ask for anything you're not willing to give of yourself.flowerforyou

no photo
Fri 06/11/10 02:18 PM
I wouldn't allow any undesirables into my home either. If you want to be welcomed into my home, conduct yourself accordingly. Same applies to ppl wanting admittance to a country.

no photo
Fri 06/11/10 02:03 PM

LOS ANGELES --- A space-themed Hallmark graduation card is being pulled from store shelves because of the card’s reference to a black hole, KABC-TV in Los Angeles reported.

But members of the Los Angeles NAACP say it sounds like "black whore." That's how they're hearing the card's audio component, and they say it's racist.

The Hallmark card reads, "Hey world, we are officially putting you on notice."

Characters known as "Hoops" and "Yoyo" banter on: "And you black holes, you are so ominous. Watch your back."

"That was very demeaning to African-American women when it made reference to African-American women as whores, and at the end it says 'watch your back,'" said Leon Jenkins of the Los Angeles NAACP.

Hallmark calls the outrage a misunderstanding, claiming that the space theme emphasizes the power the graduate has to take over the universe, even energy-absorbing black holes.

"The intent here is to say that this graduate is not afraid of anything," explained Hallmark spokesman Steve Doyal.

NAACP members heard something different.

If people dig for negatives deep enough, they'll somehow, someway find it.

no photo
Fri 06/11/10 01:55 PM

Wow. That's a pretty strong statement there. From what I've read about what's happening in America, I would venture to say that that applies moreso to the illegals in the States. Not sure where you're coming from on this issue. I would respectfully suggest that you take the time to educate yourself on what's happening in the world and not come to such conclusions based on lack of knowledge, although you are absolutely entitled to an opinion.

As, I would respectfully suggest Canadians quit denying they have a very dark and bloody racist past.

I've been informing myself fer years.laugh laugh n

Someone, on POF a few years ago brought up a similar topic.

Here's another bold statement for ya'.

During the running of the slaves in the underground railroad, some of the slaves were diverted to canada. They thought they might be safe there.

A few were but, the majority were resold into slavery in Canada.

As I said before, racism is not part of my life, therefore, I don't go out of my way to look for when and where it is happening. That is not to say it doesn't exist. Apparently, I'm not nearly as aware as I thought. I treat all people with respect, if they deserve it.

no photo
Fri 06/11/10 01:44 PM

I have not met a Canadian who wasn't wonderful,, seriously. Maybe its just the personality of Canadian tourists,,but I wouldn't mind living amongst them if those I met are any indication,,,

it is not perfect, Im sure, but there doesnt seem to be the hangup about skin color or machoism (shoot first ask questions later) type of mentality...

Ya' might wanna' rethink that. Seems Cananada has a long history of intolerance towards blacks. But, don't believe me. Go find out for yourself.laugh laugh laugh

Here are some excerpts from a speach presented by a Canadian Politician.
http://www.senatordonaldoliver.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=160&Itemid=97

The Honourable Donald H. Oliver, Q.C.
Senator, the Senate of Canada

To the Multicultural Challenges in Canadian Universities and Colleges

The Joint Annual Conference of the
Canadian Associationfor the Prevention of Discrimination and Harassment in Higher Education and the OUEEN

May 6, 2008

Carleton University

First of all, I would like to commend you all on the work you do in combating discrimination and racism and for creating inclusive communities in your universities I know this is not an easy task. As I have told my fellow Senators, we have to begin by openly acknowledging that racism and discrimination continue to exist in Canada.

In order to combat and eradicate racism, we need to begin by understanding the myths we have grown to believe about racism in Canada. These myths mask the reality of the lives of Black men, women, youth and children. I believe there are three major myths that have an impact on how Blacks are perceived by their fellow citizens.

• The first myth is that Canada has always been a most tolerant society – and certainly more tolerant than other societies;
• The second myth is that racism doesn’t exist as a problem in Canada anymore;
• The third myth is that every Canadian has an equal opportunity to succeed in Canadian society, no matter what their racial background.

During the 17th, 18th, and early 19th centuries, it was a common thing to buy and sell Black men, women and children. Equally horrific, most of the Black slaves who sided with the British during the War of American Independence found out that their freedom, if granted at all, came at a high cost. An estimated 3000 or 10% of the United Empire Loyalists that came to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and PEI during the late 1700s were Black.

They were promised their own land, a chance to build their own fortunes and lives as free people. But, as historians note, most of them never received the land and provisions promised to them. They were cheated, left to fend for themselves or forced to work on public project such as road building.

Black women were not allowed to train as nurses alongside white women. In Ontario, the last segregated school only closed its doors in 1965. And as late as 1968, Black people were denied the right of burial in some Nova Scotia cemeteries.

This brings me to the second myth – the widely held belief among white Canadians that racism is simply not a problem of Canada today. This belief is not held among Blacks and other racialized minorities who directly experience the effects of racism.

In fact, in a recent survey, a significant number of non-white Canadians have indicated that they feel discriminated against and not at home in Canada.

How does this racism manifest itself in Canadian society? One manifestation is in the portrayal of Blacks in the media. For example, the news often makes it appear that most Blacks are “welfare customers” or “always in trouble with the police.” Another manifestation of racism is when Blacks and other minority groups are racially profiled by the police. That is, they are systematically singled out for differentially negative sanctions.

You also know that racism manifests itself in out academic institutions. I am sure you are fully aware of racist incidents that have occurred on university campuses. There have been racist incidents at Ryerson University where a bulletin board was set on fire outside the office of the East African Students of Toronto. At York University, racist graffiti was found on the door of the York University Black Students’ Alliance office and two washrooms next to the office. There have been allegations of racism when the University of Windsor’s pub, The Thirsty Scholar Pub, instituted a dress code that banned long chains, bandanas or baggy clothing.

This brings me to the third myth – that every Canadian has an equal opportunity to succeed in Canadian society, no matter what his or her racial background. Many Canadians believe that discrimination is no longer a problem when in fact it continues to be a problem particularly in the job market. I find it troublesome that hiring members of racialized communities in the public service is decreasing. Statistics show that recruitment has dropped from 9.8% to 8.7% between 2006 and 2007.

The reality for Blacks and for members of racialized groups is that despite their levels of educational attainment, their labour force representation rates remain lower than the national average.

In 1984, the Urban Alliance on Race Relations and the Social Planning Council of Metropolitan Toronto commissioned a comprehensive study on racial discrimination in the hiring process. Teams of Black and white test job applicants, who dressed the same, had the same educational qualifications and the same employment histories applied for the same jobs.

While white applicants never received rude or discourteous treatment, Black candidates experienced racial discrimination in 24% of all employer/applicant contacts. What’s more, the study showed that: “Whites have three job prospects to every one for Blacks.”

Overall, the researchers concluded: “that there is a considerable amount of racial discrimination in employment in Toronto and probably elsewhere in Canada.”

I consider myself enlightened. Thank you. I've never been exposed to nor will participate in anything that remotely resembles racism. I'm not saying that it does not exist, just that it does not exist in MY life. All goverments in the world speak for themselves, not necessarily for the individual. As far as what I can see, there is more discrimination against causasians. Just walk into any government office up here. Lucky if you can find someone who was born and raised here. Even when phoning there, it's sometimes impossible to understand what the person at the other end is saying. And they supposedly speak English.

no photo
Fri 06/11/10 01:32 PM

Blame Canada, I mean, they're Canadian and stuff.

You can't blame an individual for government policies, in any country.

no photo
Fri 06/11/10 01:30 PM

Remember the story of the Polish feller that was killed by security officers in a canadian airport?

STW, he was the only child of an elderly woman who had saved up to get him there so, he could take care of her.

*Canadian press and comments made him out to be just another dead Pollack.

Yes' I believe they are pretty racist.

They do love their Muslims.

He was Polish, and what are you basing "I believe they are pretty racist" on?

My mistake. I was bring it up from memory. You know how it is, right?laugh laugh

*They hate the polish for one. The cannucks think the Poles are only good for their willingness to do what they refuse to do.

Wow. That's a pretty strong statement there. From what I've read about what's happening in America, I would venture to say that that applies moreso to the illegals in the States. Not sure where you're coming from on this issue. I would respectfully suggest that you take the time to educate yourself on what's happening in the world and not come to such conclusions based on lack of knowledge, although you are absolutely entitled to an opinion.

no photo
Fri 06/11/10 10:46 AM
Edited by biglife on Fri 06/11/10 10:48 AM

Remember the story of the pakistani feller that was killed by security officers in a canadian airport?

STW, he was the only child of an elderly woman who had saved up to get him there so, he could take care of her.

Canadian press and comments made him out to be just another dead Paki.

Yes' I believe they are pretty racist.

They do love their Muslims.

He was Polish, and what are you basing "I believe they are pretty racist" on?

no photo
Tue 06/08/10 04:57 PM
Never break my own rules.

no photo
Mon 06/07/10 10:34 PM

Have'nt been able to properly for a couple weeks. I've tried. Nothing seems to help Me. Any tips n' tricks?

If you don't keep looking at your clock, you won't know how little sleep you actually got. Sometimes the clock watching makes you feel worse.

no photo
Mon 06/07/10 10:29 PM

It would probably be thicker without the oil, and I bet it would taste weird too. I'll get a jar of Adams at Grocery Outlet, pour the oil off, and try a little. I can put the oil back in if it sucks.
I like the fact that the ingredience are just peanuts and motor oil.

Motor oil definitely helps keep the engine running.

no photo
Mon 06/07/10 10:12 PM

It makes me think the stuff is really old, because after ya stir it up, it never seems to seperate again. I bet they put it in there seperated like that. I've even stored em upside down, and the oil won't go into the butter. It just sits on the bottom then.

I wonder if the oil was just drained off, would it still have a good consistancy?

no photo
Mon 06/07/10 10:07 PM

Yes, but ALL countires when they meet, the common lanquage that is required is english. Feel there should be one common language for all- whatever it is, and then their monther tongue. Part of the worlds problems is the inability to communicate properly.whoa

Yes it is, and English has become a common language , beside German and French and Spanish. I would have to say that having about 70% of the Internet is in English and let's not forget the former British colonies across the world.

Will it be "English" though? I would say it's more like a "bastardized" version of English with many foreign words mixed into it. Also consider, not everything could be translated to English properly. Not only missing because of missing dictionary words, but missing expressions and the different (simpler) grammar rules make it loose its meaning.
And what else the benefit of knowing another language, beside speaking to someone who has it as a native language?
There are many. It's not only "another" language, but a whole another world. Many things regarding culture and a way of life are exclusive to certain languages and it will be "lost in translation" and translation will not do a justice.
Anyone who has never learned to speak another language fluently doesn't understand, that you don't translate words in your head while speaking it, but you basically switch to a different set of mind at the same time and you don't think about what it means in your own native tongue whatsoever, but it comes naturally, but because I "think" in English not only speak in English.

Being born to immigrant parents, I have been bilingual all my life. I've found it quite easy to pick up other languages because of the "mind set" you refer to.

Actually the more you learn, the next language is always easier to learn. Related languages are also easier (Spanish - Portuguese || English-French || Russian - Polish) What's gonna get you is the ones with no relation to anything else.

Like Hungarian, from what I hear. Apparently, it sounds like nothing else!

no photo
Mon 06/07/10 10:03 PM

I love almond butter, apple butter too :banana:
To stir the peanut butter, I just use a butter knife, and be real careful for the first minute or so. It's a great upper body exercise bigsmile

Yup, I can see why you say that. Good way to test one's patience too.

1 2 3 4 6 8 9 10 24 25