Sleepless_nights_78's photo
Mon 03/21/11 10:34 PM

Why wouldn't he? You're still a woman.. You're still human.. People date and fall in love with women/men with children all the time... It's about the person you are and the person he is that is going to matter, NOT if you have a child or not....

It just seems like guys are fine with the single part but not the mother part.

haveu tried seeking other single parents/men who also have kids

or who object to you having them? don't worry about the rest

As the saying goes, been there, done that and so on... :)
I met a couple of people but my daughter wasn't around until I got to know the person better and see what they were like with and without their children. Most were at a different point in the brake up then I was. They asked for feedback and I was objective and shared some of my story. It helped me to understand from a fathers veiw.

ya I know what you mean
I have a been there done that attitude toward some stuff too

I guess it's harder when kids are young- I've heard people say they just leave the kids out if it unless it gets
serious (my choice) - as far as meeting each other's kids

I've also heard guys say that they like women w; kids when they are responsible moms because it shows they are responsible to those they care for

As I mentioned before, I got to know them before I would even think of bringing my daughter around them. As strange as it might sound, some of my new found friends didn't even meet my daughter at all. We hung out and chatted when I was able to get a night to myself. Some would spend time with us but it was like I had 2 children in the house.. lol

Mon 03/21/11 10:24 PM

First of all, there are many guys who DON'T want to be with a single mother. And, as I am sure you probably know, the main reason is due to these guys believing that "she only wants a baby daddy, sugar daddy, etc". But not all guys are like this.

My dad, the man who raised me, is my step-father (in legal terms). But make no mistake. That man is my father. And I am his baby son. Biologically, we are not father and son. But that does not matter.

The reason I mention this is because my dad met, and fell in love with my mom. She and I were a package deal, and thus, he accepted that. My biological dad was not around, so my step dad was all I had. And I thankful for that. He didn't have to take me in as his own. But because he fell in love with my Mom, he fell in love with me too. To him, all he wanted to do was love my Mom, and be the best role model for me that he could.

Basically, if a man falls in love with a single mom, that is why he will be with her. Like has already been mentioned. You never know who you will fall in love with. So, to over think this, and to worry and wonder about it....you aren't doing yourself any favors.

Thanks Goofball, when I hear about stories like yours, it gives me hope to not give up on finding the right one. I didn't know my father until I was 13 and the guys that my mom had hanging around weren't what most would think as role models unless it was about who could make the biggest @ss of themselves when drinking. There weren't many single parent families where I grew up, most stayed together through think and thin because that's what marriage ment to them. My daughter is 9 and she knows who her father is and that's not going to change. Before we moved 800 km away from him, he was only spending time with her so he could try to find out who I was talking with. (He admitted that after we moved.) I got as much legal advice as I could possibley get and I made him aware of it all but it didn't do much. Anyways, I know it's easier on the child if the parents can still get along for the most part. We didn't deal with the courts, I just wanted and still want to move on with my life and still be the mother that I always was. I don't know what it's like to have someone in our lives that's there for the both of us (he brought in the paycheck so his day was done as soon as he walked in the door and when i worked, he seemed even more ticked off about it) and I'm not scared to get out into the world and support myself and my child. I guess it'll be nice to find someone who wants the same things as much as I do but I can't help to still think about it.  

Mon 03/21/11 09:32 PM

Why wouldn't he? You're still a woman.. You're still human.. People date and fall in love with women/men with children all the time... It's about the person you are and the person he is that is going to matter, NOT if you have a child or not....

haveu tried seeking other single parents/men who also have kids

or who object to you having them? don't worry about the rest

As the saying goes, been there, done that and so on... :)
I met a couple of people but my daughter wasn't around until I got to know the person better and see what they were like with and without their children. Most were at a different point in the brake up then I was. They asked for feedback and I was objective and shared some of my story. It helped me to understand from a fathers veiw.

Mon 03/21/11 09:07 PM

:thumbsup: what Josie said:smile:

What everyone has said makes sense. :) I made friends with people that had children and others who claimed that they love being single(but complained that they would never find the right one). I took the time to get to know the person and understand why they thought what they did and it then explained their actions better. Through all of what I was going through, I still found the time to have a life and be a good mother.

Mon 03/21/11 04:49 PM

I would like to here some honest opioions on this. I've been able to give this advice but when I try to follow it myself, I hasn't worked out to well. Maybe I'm just to hard on myself or maybe I'm just thinking that one day it could possibly happen for me, like I've seen it happen for others. I'm a single mother and I guess I'm just wondering why a single guy would want to try to start a relationship with someone that has a child. I've been through a lot over the last couple of years and over coming the hardest times is what helped to makes me stronger. I would like to be in a relationship once again but to even try and meet someone new is a challenge for me. I just can't figure out why a guy would want to date a single mother. Can anyone explain this a little, please. Thanks :)

some men enjoy being parents just like they enjoy being soulmates, a child will not be something they see as a hindrance but an extra bonus

and many men are single but also parents themself and welcome sharing those responsbilities with someone else,,,

From what I have learned in two years of talking with different single parents was the fact that they didn't have much time. Which I could understand because of my own circumstance but I figured out how to make the time

Mon 03/21/11 04:41 PM

After a while I started looking for men who were also parents. I dont think men without the parenting part of the puzzle appreciates the commitment a mom makes and the exhaustion that comes with it.

Even more exciting to me is a man who is the primary parent. They get it.

I tried that, but got tired of hearing how the other parent was more to blame, even though they shared how their own actions lead to the brake-up as well. Maybe they just weren't ready to leave their pasts behind them yet. Hopefully one day they will. :)

Mon 03/21/11 04:36 PM

honesty (don't rage all over me, just ignore me if this offends you):

you need to have something that separates you from other girls instead of relying on dumb chance/circumstance/looks to carry you through if you want a guy that's worth a long run with (as many single girls do indeed rely on in my experience: many guys will stick with a girl out of how things just end up after the initial attraction of the aforementioned criteria. Many girlfriends of mine (friends who are girls who share with me their evil tactics of getting the best guys or competing with other girls) for instance don't vary much in terms of being competitive and somewhat malicious instead of striving to become beautiful souls. They tend to be wrapped up in the material world/self centered and they have schemes in which anything they do that may appear to be altruistic or truly caring are really actually contrivances to end up with selfish ends. This causes them to appear somewhat the same in the eyes of guys. So the guy ends up simply picking the best looking one out of the bunch or basing his decision on something else other than the special real true love he might feel for someone he sees something exceptional in)

if he sees something unique/special and beautiful in you (possibly character wise) that's going to be the likely thing to make him see past ANYTHING for the diamond he sees in you

THEN AGAIN:

There are SO MANY types of people out there now, you actually probably won't have any problem at all as long as you don't confine your hunting grounds

No offense, but the reason women rely on dumb chance is because having a plan makes a person the kind of coniver I wouldn't want to know and certainly has characteristics I wouldn't want to have.

Life is a chance, living is a risk, and anything else is imaginary bull.

Sleepless, just be upfront. The right man won't give a happy horse-pocky if you are a mom. Mom's have a life too and sometimes you have to date a few douches to find the right one. Just like any lady.

Thanks for the imput. Just having a few as friends was more then enough for me to handle.. lol

Mon 03/21/11 04:32 PM

honesty (don't rage all over me, just ignore me if this offends you):

you need to have something that separates you from other girls instead of relying on dumb chance/circumstance/looks to carry you through if you want a guy that's worth a long run with (as many single girls do indeed rely on in my experience: many guys will stick with a girl out of how things just end up after the initial attraction of the aforementioned criteria. Many girlfriends of mine (friends who are girls who share with me their evil tactics of getting the best guys or competing with other girls) for instance don't vary much in terms of being competitive and somewhat malicious instead of striving to become beautiful souls. They tend to be wrapped up in the material world/self centered and they have schemes in which anything they do that may appear to be altruistic or truly caring are really actually contrivances to end up with selfish ends. This causes them to appear somewhat the same in the eyes of guys. So the guy ends up simply picking the best looking one out of the bunch or basing his decision on something else other than the special real true love he might feel for someone he sees something exceptional in)

if he sees something unique/special and beautiful in you (possibly character wise) that's going to be the likely thing to make him see past ANYTHING for the diamond he sees in you

THEN AGAIN:

There are SO MANY types of people out there now, you actually probably won't have any problem at all as long as you don't confine your hunting grounds

Why would any of this offend me. I've never been nor do I plan on resorting to any tactics to be with anyone. I had one friendship brake-down all because I didn't prefer to wear jeans, if you can believe that.. lol Then the same guy had the nerve to start stalking me because I lost interest after the whole jean thing. I met him shortly after my relationship ended with my childs father. I told this guy that I was only interested in friendship and he was ok with it for a few months but then started to develop feelings and I couldn't hurt him like that. This guy even moved 5 blocks from where I lived at the time. So I dealt with his stalking and my ex's harassment at the same time. Maybe this is why I'm starting to loose faith in finding someone.
I know what makes me unique, I'm not self-centred, I can and will stand up for myself(when I need to), I actually listen when someone is talking with me and give feedback based on what I hear, I accept responsibility for my actions and if I have ever hurt anyone around me, then I accept the consequences of my actions. :) I don't play mind games and I say what I mean. example My yes, means yes and my no, means no. Sorry, did I mention that I really love writing.. lol.. btw, I've seen how a few females act and it turns my stomach, I guess that's why I prefer male friends. No offence to any females on here, I was just speeking from the gf that I used to know. :)
Thanks for your thoughts, they are appreciated.

Mon 03/21/11 03:55 PM

As a guy, I know that single "mothers" don't scare me off. Actually all the women I've dated in the past few years have been single moms. Might be because I'm getting older and looking for a woman who knows how to care for other people, good mothers have to have that ability.

I think it is more the fact that it is hard to "date" a single mom, especially if they have their kids all the time.

As for the thinking it won't happen to you, I think everybody has that feeling at some point in your life. I've been engaged twice and I know after the second broke things off with me I felt like I would never meet the "one". But, I have dated since then, and even though they didn't work out I know that the chance is still there and I have learned through experience that it will happen when you least expect it to. I would have to say the best way to overcome the thoughts/feelings that are involved try and do stuff that gets your mind off it. Hit the gym, go for a run, spend time with your kids and enjoy them while they are young. It's all a matter of doing what you need to do to be happy with you. I'm very codependent, but I've been single since October and really I haven't been looking too hard for another relationship. I've been focused on getting back into excellent shape and getting my career where I want it to be.

Just stay strong, focus on you, and let the other stuff come when it comes. Lord knows, trying to force something just creates more stress in life.

that's the fun part about being a parent, children change the way that life is. I've juggled being single and being a mother and putting it all together. I've always been very independent, even when I was in a relationship. I don't want to loose that part nor do I except to find someone who thinks that they will loose that part of their life. I've been at this for two years already, my daughter does come first and I did find some friends or so I thought but the friendships were short lived. I work out a lot and I'm staying in good shape as well. I'm getting my new career off and started but at the end of the day it would just be nice to share a few things with an adult. I can only share so much with my daughter. Thanks for your opionion. It's appreciated. :)

Mon 03/21/11 10:48 AM

I'm sorry that's not what I got from the OP.. If they're not fine with the mother part then they aren't worth your time... Don't waste time thinking or wondering.. The right person will be ok with your being a single mother...

Thanks, that's what I've been thinking about. :)

Sun 03/20/11 09:45 PM

Sun 03/20/11 09:42 PM

it may not be a concious decision or choice he makes

he sees you as a woman - while it sounds like see yourself as a "mom"

he wants to date you because to him you are a woman who he is attracted to that happens to have a child - nice thought, no? To be seen for your "womaninity"

oooo I think I just made up a new wordlaugh

And it's an interesting word.. :)

Sun 03/20/11 09:18 PM
I would like to here some honest opioions on this. I've been able to give this advice but when I try to follow it myself, I hasn't worked out to well. Maybe I'm just to hard on myself or maybe I'm just thinking that one day it could possibly happen for me, like I've seen it happen for others. I'm a single mother and I guess I'm just wondering why a single guy would want to try to start a relationship with someone that has a child. I've been through a lot over the last couple of years and over coming the hardest times is what helped to makes me stronger. I would like to be in a relationship once again but to even try and meet someone new is a challenge for me. I just can't figure out why a guy would want to date a single mother. Can anyone explain this a little, please. Thanks :)

Sun 03/20/11 08:41 PM

I think that love doesn't really exsist no more and its all bout sex! That's the way I have been feeling for over a year now! And I just want to know how will I be able to settle down when all I care for is sex! how will I get love back into my life?

It all depends on what your situation is and what you are looking for. If all you are looking for is sex then basically that's all it's going to be. I'm sure when you find the one that you are looking for, then it will be more then the sex. I kinda know what you are going through in a way because I've talked with a few people that have gone through it to.

Sun 03/20/11 12:03 AM
I want to ask so many questions but I'm not sure if I want to hear the answers.. I just love being in the middle of the rock and the hard place.. :)

Sat 03/19/11 12:54 PM
Speeking from my own experience, it's a tough thing to go through. The emotional rollercoaster itself is hard to keep stable. What I did was find a parenting after separation course. Her father and I attended it together so we were both able to ask whatever questions we wanted to and the other could hear the response from the lawyer and counselor that were there. In my case I was dealing with someone who couldn't handle the change in our relationship and the stress from him was building up too much. Anyways, we started to find a common ground, in some ways. The toughest part on me was dealing with his harassment through the whole process, I always tried to redirect the answers to our child. We were suppose to keep her routine as normal as possible and the rules were suppose to be the same at both places. I turned to the proffessionals for advice and he turned to family and friends, which only made matters worse and our daughter started developing a worse attitude then before. It was tough to still try to be parents together when he wasn't much help in the relationship when we were still together. My family was more involved with our life then his was and all of a sudden his family had all of the answers, so I had to step in and stop the negativity that was going on. I made phone calls abs let my daughter talk with who ever she wanted to and I was willing to take her for visits but plans always changed and I got tired of trying so hard. No one would barely call to see how she was doing but I still kept busy with her and found out who my real friends were through that tough time. This went on for a year and a half but his harassment got to be to much for me to deal with, so a few months ago my daughter and I moved and starting over with barely nothing has been a blessing for both of us. I'm dealing with the emotional scares and he calls when he has the time to spare to talk with his child. The courts are only involved as far as the child support goes and he's finally realizeing that child support is more important then gambling the money away. I'm moving on with our life and continued on with my education so I'll be able to provide more stability for us. I have never let our daughter feel as if any of this was her fault and she's starting to make more new friends now. It wasn't easy but we are getting there. I hope that some of this might help you.
As long as they don't put their son in the middle of any of their disputes and he knows that he's able to express how he is feeling, that's the most important part.

Sat 03/19/11 11:54 AM
I know what you mean. I was a stay at home mother for years and I didn't mind putting my dreams on hold. We found ways to make ends meet. In my case, when I took on a part time job, it bothered her father to the point of, I had to give it up. After so many years of it, I had enough and now I'm a single mother, doing the best that I can to support myself and our daughter. At least now, I can continue with my education and I still juggle everything else that I need to. Braking away has given me my idependence back and it'll just keep getting better and better. I delt with everyone saying that I wasn't able to do so many things but now I'm doing it all just like before but at least I don't have the arguments to deal with anymore. Still have a lot to figure out but that's just apart of life. My daughter seems to be happier so that's all that matters. It took awhile for me to find the right people who understand where I'm at in my life and they all know how grateful I am for finding them. I still joke around from time to time by saying that prisoners had more freedom then I did and unless someone has been in the same situation then they just don't understand it. It's not right that us females seem to need to prove ourselves more just to get by but that just seems to be the way that it is.

Fri 03/18/11 11:42 PM
Social.. I can talk with anyone, about anything.. Sometimes it turns out to be a hazard and other times it turns out to be halarious
Personal.. I have been blessed with a wonderful daughter.. :) and a some what supporitive family who has helped out when they could.. I have also been very lucky when it comes to finding new friends to chat with.. One day I'll be lucky enough to also find the one who wants to share our happiness with us.. :)
Proffessional.. My career path has changed but it's moving in a great direction and the outlook is going to be a great one.. Follow dreams because it's possible for them to come true.. :)

Fri 03/18/11 02:43 PM
32.. Keep asking questions and usually get a different answer everytime.. :)
That's what makes life so interesting. :)

Fri 03/18/11 02:34 PM

The ideal I know is one who is kind to others, has friendship in their hearts, will help whether they are asked to or not, keep his fellow man in mind when there are troubles ahead, and is a true "friend " when the time calls for it.

They inspire others to always do the 'right thing" in any situation and to have peace for others to share. So there, it was asked, so now I will tell.waving :laughing: :laughing:

And you did. :)

1 2 3 4 5 7 9 10 11 14 15